Do you ever fully recover from an eating disorder?

I was in a really bad place with my E. D. 2 years ago, but as time progresses, I'm doing so much better than I was. Though as good as I'm doing now, I still get those bad thoughts that I would always have constantly those 2 years ago. I still slip up from time to time and I'm still not perfect but I've made a big improvement. I just feel like I'll always have a little bit of that distorted mindset when it comes to food. I was just wondering if people with an E. D. ever fully recover and act normally like everyone else when it comes to food, eventually.

Most Helpful Guy

• no just like alcoholics.

you just have to take each day as it comes as long as you have good friends and family around you to support with the good and bad days hopefully you will be ok

Most Helpful Girl

• disorders involve disordered thinking and are usually from a chemical imbalance causing some form of ocd.

obsessive people dont really get passed being obsessive. you just train your self to not get trapped by it. stop the compulsion in its tracks etc

probably goo to find stuff you are passionate about and fill your time with heathy obsessions. you're going to be obsessive for life, just make good use out of it. do stuff that matters more to you than food.

no one recovers from their mind, thy just learn to respect what they can not control and control what they can control.

no one ocd or not. is completely ordered they just have varying degrees of successfully behaving a if they are.

plus side is people with icd ted to be intelligent and creative. the disorder occurs when the talent is not utilized.

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 4

• I don't think so. I ate at MacDonalds once, 30 years ago, and I haven't recovered yet!

• I never had one cause I am not a pussy.

• ofc. many people recover without issues whatsoever.

• I have E. D. but blue pills usually help me out. I would say I've recovered.

What Girls Said 7

• This goes from case to case I feel like. I know some people who made a full recovery and have not slipped since. I too sometimes have a bad night where I fall into old habits, and realize that I need to be stronger than that. What matters is that you are making/have made improvement to becoming a better you the healthy way. Each person is different.

• I had an eating disorder 20 years ago and unfortunately I seem to still view myself different than others so I don't think it ever fully goes away! Keep up the fight to stay healthy, best of luck!

• you can. but there are long term effects that most of the time will not go away.

• Yes , I've known many people who've had an E. D and has overcome it. My mother had an E. D in her teen years but overcame it , all you really need is a strong support system from family and friends

• Not unless you're fat

• Well you can't fully recover in my experience but you just get better and better with dealing with it.

• I think it takes a while to get out of the distorted mindset, but as long as you're aware of what the distorted mindset sounds like you can kind of steer away from it if it comes back. I think you can have long periods of normalcy though. I had one when like 10 years ago and while it was brief, it was really bad. But I didn't go back into that mindset until after I recovered until about a year ago. I kept trying different diets and slipped back into the mindset. About 5 months ago I realized I was doing the exact same thing when I had an E. D at first, then I ust freaked out and snapped out of it. Right now, I feel pretty strongly like I won't go back, but I can't get close to diets or even extreme workout routines bc I know it's easy to slip back. Now I eat whatever I want and don't think about it. I feel like you can recover, as long as you maintain awareness of that mindset and avoid things that will trigger you to go back into it.