What qualities makes a independent cafe amazing to you?

What qualities make independent (not chain) Cafes stand out from the rest and elevate it to amazing and makes you keep returning? For instance, food, service, ambience other please provide details

What kind of perks/rewards should they give loyal regulars?

Most Helpful Girl

• Everything home made with quality and ethically sourced ingredients, if they want people to sit and stay having enough tables and chairs without crowding the space - otherwise make it takeaway only. I love when places have a summer and winter menu as well.
    Good music at a suitable level. There is nothing worse than it being too loud when you're trying to have a conversation.
    Happy and engaged staff that are treated well by management

Is this from your French toast experience this morning?

• that's quite a checklist and nah just a random question.

Your reviews must be brutal on YELP

• Noo I just have preferences 😜 That doesn't mean I'd be rude or unfair if something didn't match my likes

Please, I'm delightful. My reviews are fair with the experience I have 😝

Sponsored

What Girls Said 2

• I think a lot of amazing independent cafes are off typical routes. Cafe trucks/freestanding cafe shops, off a road, down a street, in a parking lot, behind a building.

They usually have small menus that cater to something very specific. Not much variety, but you know that whatever they have on the menu, they know how to cook it and they know how to cook it REALLY WELL.

I like friendly and personable staff, quick service, a lot of seating areas, generous proportions, fresh ingredients and reasonably priced meals.

• I would say having a homey feel to it, maybe home made meals, and probably if they hold social events like poem nights or love music

What Guys Said 5

• I really appreciate it when staff put a little extra effort into presentation and service. If that comes along with good products and a welcoming feel to the place then they've won me and my mates for life

• Service, specialist coffee blends and excellent cakes/pastries and good wifi (biggie). I've actually found a new artisan cafe recently which has everything, sure you pay more but it's worth it.

• you're a coffee snob too? tell me more about this artisan café

(Free wi-fi is a big plus )

• *Jamacian blue mountain

• hmmmm not sure I trust your testimony. When I was un the UK it was impossible to get a decent cup of coffee.

• Comfortable seating, home made produce, good tea and coffee, friendly staff.

• House made products are a big selling point for me.

• I think that's a very strong selling point, definitely. There is no substitute for home made food. Factory produced food, for want of a better phrase, always lacks soul.

• It's sad seeing pastries sitting in the display for days on end

• Nothing, really. I almost never go to one, not being a coffee drinker. When I do, I just grab a doughnut to eat in the car on my way to going somewhere else. 🍩

• the owners and how social they are with their customers. also the music they play. if they are social with their customers they will attract many cool and friendly people, this creates a nice atmosphere which makes me want to return.