How easily can you admit you're wrong?

is it hard for you when you're having an argument with someone and you're so sure you're right but then they prove you wrong? do you admit you were wrong or make something up to prove you're right?

i know a few people that do this (my little sis). and its so dam annoying!

because I see so many people fail at swallowing their pride and admitting they were wrong, I try my hardest to just say "OK, I was wrong then haha" and its really not that hard, it takes a few words.

and I'd respect someone who could do the same, when someone can't admit they're wrong, I lose respect for them.

so how hard is it for you?

• I never admit I'm wrong
  • I sometimes admit I'm wrong
  • I mostly admit when I'm wrong
  • I always admit I'm wrong
  • See results
this was supposed to be under behavior!

Most Helpful Girl

• Easy if I'm wrong, because I'm very open minded, neutral and fair - having these charactheristics also have helped me in being hardly wrong most of the time.

Usually, the situation you are talking about is more of a question of...

1) Whether they can handle their pride

2) Whether they have the ability to realize that they are wrong and have the right aptitude in handling, analysing or thinking about situations or topics.

- Biasness, stubbornness, lack of neutrality or having a pre-conceived AND bias idea in things develop a habit of people trying to find "evidences" to manifest an idea that supports their claim and use "you have no proof thus you are wrong" reasoning to stay in the right.

3) What situation or topic they are discussing about

- Not all topics have a clear right or wrong answer, nor are all answer purely opinion-based. Many people failed to distinguish that and use "opinion" as an excuse to support the fact that they aren't wrong.

-Some people want people to say they are right or others to admit they are wrong because they have other underlying intention (e.g. point scoring against siblings or classmates or just to wind others up)

Hope this helps.

• Oops. One last part that was not posted: there are many people who will admit to themselves that they are wrong but not to others :) Those who fail to admit themselves they are wrong when they are clearly wrong are just plain deluded.

• helps to answer your question :)

Most people eventually will admit that they are wrong in most circumstances, whether it's to the person they owe the apology, to themselves or to others. Children being immature and not admitting to their mistakes are plain common :P

• haha well the Q was a personal thing so there's no other way to help answer it other than by just answering.

GAG Video of the Day

Would you date someone younger/older/married?

What Girls Said 37

• C. I always know deep inside if I am wrong. But I admit it about 80% of the time. Depending on what is at stake.

• That depends on the person I'm with. if he's a smug bastard, I would rather die than admit I'm wrong...even if I am

but if it was a nice discussion, then absolutely I can admit I was wrong

• I admit when I'm wrong, though I don't do that often because it takes me a while to figure it out, lol.

• haha I see.

• You know what I mean... Like you don't see where the error is. It might nag you for a while, then finally you figure it out and go back either to fix the issue or to apologize (or both, lol).

• yeah haha

• I usually do, or at least compromise (my pride is pretty darn huge), But sometimes if it's a fight over something small, the bigger/longer the fight was, the more I don't want to admit it when I find out I'm wrong.

But even then I'll usually stop arguing my point and skedaddle somewhere to lick my wounds :P

• cute way to put it haha

• If I know I am wrong, I will ALWAYS admit it.

• dope.

• ohh really? wow..thats why when I dance to 'dance central' it says 'dope!' It means I am good! yay!

• haha yes, its good.

More from Girls
32

What Guys Said 28

• Well, to be brutal, I'm not wrong that often, but when I am wrong, I accept it rapidly. I think this actually annoys people even more, because they start thinking that "I act like I'm never wrong'. But this isn't true. Sometimes I'm right, and sometimes I was wrong but rapidly abandon that position.

• lol same here man! hate that I'm almost never wrong.

my sisters get all defensive and just tell me I think I know everything and I'm just like, you're just mad that you're wrong.

• When I was younger, I had to win every argument. Sometimes after the argument was over, I would think about what the other person had said, and sometimes I realized that I was wrong, but an argument was a battle, and to give up proved me weak and stupid. As I've grown older I've developed the ability to know when I'm beaten and surrender indefensible positions. I'm actually rather proud of it. It demonstrates objectivity and a willingness to think. Don't get me wrong, I can still be stubborn, but that's only when I'm right.

• C - It takes a lot to make me truly admit I was wrong. However, in topics I am NOT at all an expert in, it is much easier. Or, for other topics, such as technology, cars or business, I'm quite stubborn.

Especially when, as Homer once said, "Facts shmacks. Facts can be used to prove anything even REMOTELY true!" :D

• hmm, alright. interesting quote.

• Homer Simpson...by the way...

• i somehow thought so haha

• no problem at all once you conquer your own narcissism

• If I know for sure that something was my fault or if what I said was wrong, then I will admit then and there. If it takes some arguing, then it may take a while, but I'll still do it.

More from Guys
23