• Ask
  • myTake

How easily can you admit you're wrong?

is it hard for you when you're having an argument with someone and you're so sure you're right but then they prove you wrong? do you admit you were... Show More

This question has a poll!

• Vote A I never admit I'm wrong
  • Vote B I sometimes admit I'm wrong
  • Vote C I mostly admit when I'm wrong
  • Vote D I always admit I'm wrong
  • Vote E See results
this was supposed to be under behavior!

Most Helpful Opinion

• Easy if I'm wrong, because I'm very open minded, neutral and fair - having these charactheristics also have helped me in being hardly wrong most of the time.Usually, the situation you are talking about is more of a question of...1) Whether they can handle their pride2) Whether they have the ability to realize that they are wrong and have the right aptitude in handling, analysing or thinking about situations or topics.- Biasness, stubbornness, lack of neutrality or having a pre-conceived AND bias idea in things develop a habit of people trying to find "evidences" to manifest an idea that supports their claim and use "you have no proof thus you are wrong" reasoning to stay in the right.3) What situation or topic they are discussing about- Not all topics have a clear right or wrong answer, nor are all answer purely opinion-based. Many people failed to distinguish that and use "opinion" as an excuse to support the fact that they aren't wrong.-Some people want people to say they are right or others to admit they are wrong because they have other underlying intention (e.g. point scoring against siblings or classmates or just to wind others up)Hope this helps.

• Oops. One last part that was not posted: there are many people who will admit to themselves that they are wrong but not to others :) Those who fail to admit themselves they are wrong when they are clearly wrong are just plain deluded.

• Show Older
    • helps to answer your question :)Most people eventually will admit that they are wrong in most circumstances, whether it's to the person they owe the apology, to themselves or to others. Children being immature and not admitting to their mistakes are plain common :P

• haha well the Q was a personal thing so there's no other way to help answer it other than by just answering.

What Girls Said 37

• That depends on the person I'm with. if he's a smug bastard, I would rather die than admit I'm wrong...even if I ambut if it was a nice discussion, then absolutely I can admit I was wrong

• hah alright coo.

• C. I always know deep inside if I am wrong. But I admit it about 80% of the time. Depending on what is at stake.

• hmm, alright.

• I'm very stubborn, so it's not easy for me to admit I'm wrong.

• aww really?stubborn cute girls are cuteness.

• lolol no, we're evil >:)

• even better ; )

• I'm stubborn, but I can do it. Not w/o putting up a fight. If you can disprove my proof and back up your evidence I'll say it. :l

• good, good. i'm pretty stubborn too haha

• I have no problem with that.

• dope.

• If I know I am wrong, I will ALWAYS admit it.

• dope.

• Show Older
    • ohh really? wow..thats why when I dance to 'dance central' it says 'dope!' It means I am good! yay!

• haha yes, its good.

• I admit when I'm wrong, though I don't do that often because it takes me a while to figure it out, lol.

• haha I see.

• You know what I mean... Like you don't see where the error is. It might nag you for a while, then finally you figure it out and go back either to fix the issue or to apologize (or both, lol).

• yeah haha

• So long as its got solid reasoning or information I didn't know to prove otherwise, I have no problems admitting I was wrong.

• coo, coo.

• im verry stubborn so you have to prove to me in my face that I am wrong. but I won't tell them "im wrong" lol

• will you say, "ok you're right"?

• Show Older
    • ahah so you are stateing that I like you? ...lol

• all girls like ninjas ; )jk haha

• i'll always admit I'm wrong IF someone prove that I'm wrong.But sometimes people try to prove I'm wrong when I have 100% sure I'm not and that's really hard for me to give up and say 'Ok, you win...' when I think they're not right.

• i know how you feel haha

• :)

• I do but it's harder when I am with someone whom really gets under my skin but most of the tim e I have no problem admitting when I am wrong

• coo, coo.

• It's extremely hard for me to do. I'm horribly pig-headed.

• thick skulled haha

• I will always admit I am wrong when I am proven wrong.

• good, good.

• I'm never wrong. So I never have to admit that I'm wrong. :P

• suuuure you're not.

• I'm pretty passive agressive...so when I'm wrong I tend to fix it or redeem myself before anyone notices! Like if I took a wrong exit on the highway, I'd be like "I meant to do it!..."

• lol that's f***in funny. cute too. i like it when girls ask the teacher a Q in math and then see they were wrong and go "just kidding" ha ha its so cute.

• Ughh I have such a hard time with this -___- I'm getting better though!If it's just a stupid argument with my friend or my mom or something I'll be like "Ohh..okay haha"But if it's a serious argument I'll just do whatever it takes to prove myself right lol..I don't like being wrong :P

• no one likes it hahabut learn you shall with age, young one "(-_-)" <-- yoda face!

• It depends on who the arguement is with. If it's with someone I am good friends with who I like, It's easy for me to admit when I'm wrong. When it's with just some a**hole, that's when it gets difficult to swallow my pride.

• i know what you mean haha

• I usually do, or at least compromise (my pride is pretty darn huge), But sometimes if it's a fight over something small, the bigger/longer the fight was, the more I don't want to admit it when I find out I'm wrong.But even then I'll usually stop arguing my point and skedaddle somewhere to lick my wounds :P

• cute way to put it haha

• If I'm wrong then I will directly admit it . There is nothing to be shy of . But if I'm right ,no one can make me wrong :)

• indeed, no one can.

• It's easy for me to admit I am wrong, so long that that is really the case. Of course, if I had enough evidence, I'd fight for it. But when I'm wrong, I'm wrong, no biggie.If I'm wrong though, the hardesst part of it is having people not look at me the same way again. Some people think you're unreliable once you're committed a mistake and do not give you a chance to improve at all. It sucks.

• huh, hadn't thought of that.

• I'm never wrong...

• lol what's 2+2?

• Isn't that a trick question? o_O

• hey now, just let her answer.

• It's not hard at all ! When I'm wrong , I Admit it and just laugh about it , It's not a big deal O.o

• nice.

• I chose D. I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong

• dopeness.

• For me it really depends on the person. A lot of people see me as being smarter than them even though most of the time I will deny it. So around them it is really hard for me to swallow my pride and say they were right because I know they are just going to rub it in my face. Besides that though I will most always admit that I am wrong when I am actually wrong.

• coo. and I know what you mean, I know some people that are like that too.

• If I feel like I'm wrong, then I will always admit it. But I'm also very stubborn, so sometimes it takes me a while to see that I'm wrong.

• hah same here.

• I will say I'm wrong 99.9 % of the time, .1% I have to keep for myself. You can't always give 100% lol

• hmm I guess haha

• I usually admit it readily, once I see that I am wrong. I am very passionate about what I believe in, & I will defend it, but if I am wrong I will say so. Sure it can be hard. Of course it is. Who wants to be wrong?As a parent, I think the best thing you can do for your kids is let them see that.In my marriage, my ex never apologized to me because he said that he was never wrong. He believed that. I am not making that up. That makes me want to see myself realistically even most so with others. If you cannot say you are wrong & apologize to others, you are a pretty sad human being.But that's just my opinion.

• i agree. my dad is the type that will do anything to prove he's right. he hasn't admitted he was wrong once for as long as I've lived.

• I admit I'm wrong all the time, even when I'm not.

• American, huh?

• Show Older
    • Yeah, I really really hate any sort of confrontation. Like, it can make me physically sick.

• daam, that's nuts... I've only met 2 other girls like you. they were both really sweet and sensitive.

• It's pretty hard for me tbh but that is because I'm always right :)

• lol suure you are.

• You have to prove to me I'm wrong, or I won't admit it lol.

• same here haha

• Show More

What Guys Said 28

• Well, to be brutal, I'm not wrong that often, but when I am wrong, I accept it rapidly. I think this actually annoys people even more, because they start thinking that "I act like I'm never wrong'. But this isn't true. Sometimes I'm right, and sometimes I was wrong but rapidly abandon that position.

• lol same here man! hate that I'm almost never wrong.my sisters get all defensive and just tell me I think I know everything and I'm just like, you're just mad that you're wrong.

• no problem at all once you conquer your own narcissism

• hah yup.

• If I'm wrong, I'll admit it easily.

• coo.

• If I know for sure that something was my fault or if what I said was wrong, then I will admit then and there. If it takes some arguing, then it may take a while, but I'll still do it.

• pretty coo.

• C - It takes a lot to make me truly admit I was wrong. However, in topics I am NOT at all an expert in, it is much easier. Or, for other topics, such as technology, cars or business, I'm quite stubborn.Especially when, as Homer once said, "Facts shmacks. Facts can be used to prove anything even REMOTELY true!" :D

• hmm, alright. interesting quote.

• Homer Simpson...by the way...

• i somehow thought so haha

• It's really hard for me to admit I'm wrong no matter who it is. :\

• dam, why?

• Show Older
    • that sh*t can be hard to say sometimes.

• I don't know. It's just hard for me to admit I'm wrong. :\

• Okay this was supposed to be under behavior . You goofed. Admit you're wrong.

• lol no I seriously went in the behavior section but the site f***ed me over again.

• I would admit I'm wrong if I was wrong but I'm never wrong. I'll admit that much. I think.

• pshh haha

• if I'm wrong then I admit it.

• coo, that's good.

• As I always see both sides if the story I can admit easily to being wrong.

• good, good.

• I admit fault for things beyond my control.

• ok.

• i will admit I'm wrong if the person who I'm admitting it to won't use it against me all the time and make me feel like crap. When someone else admits they are wrong, I always respect them for having the courage to say that and the open mindedness to change their mind, and I would never hold it as something to demean them with.If someone shows me the same respect I show to others, I admit I'm wrong quite openly.

• sounds good.

• Not with out a fight! :)

• hah alright.

• easy. if I realize I'm wrong then its like 'wow, I learned something new'. it would be really stupid of me to assume I know everything, and even more stupid to continue to argue when I know I'm not right. I'm a scientist, not a lawyer ;)

• haha I like that last line.

• What do you mean by "How easily?" When you are wrong, you are wrong, no? Who would act that they are right even though they are wrong?. Only insecure a**holes does that!

• lots of people do man, you'd be surprised how big some people's pride and ego can be.

• I am not surprised at all, sadly. I am not, at all, young man.

• I love to argue.I love proving points and using logic to prove I'm right.But the second I know I'm wrong, if the argument is about the topic and not emotionally related, I'll admit it straight up.Then later when it comes up again in some other circumstance, I'll use what I know now.I think I'm pretty smart and I always want to be smarter.You can't be smarter if you think everyone else is always wrong.

• f***in good way to put it man.

• I like how you think.

• +1 for taking a point proven from one argument and applying it in future arguments

• Hmm, well I want to be a scientist working on research, so accepting that I'm wrong is something I just have to do. I used to be hard to convince, but now I'm learning to take both side of the story and consider all possible solutions before even attempting to give an answer of my own.

• that's good man.

• When I was younger, I had to win every argument. Sometimes after the argument was over, I would think about what the other person had said, and sometimes I realized that I was wrong, but an argument was a battle, and to give up proved me weak and stupid. As I've grown older I've developed the ability to know when I'm beaten and surrender indefensible positions. I'm actually rather proud of it. It demonstrates objectivity and a willingness to think. Don't get me wrong, I can still be stubborn, but that's only when I'm right.

• haha nice, nice.

• Unless I know I'm right I don't assert my position in the first place. Kind of hard to be wrong when you only speak about what you know.

• haha I bet.

• I do admit it because it's even more embarrassing when you excuse yourself although you know you are wrong. Do you get it? I respect my pride. It hurts my pride when I'm proven to be wrong. It hurts EVEN MORE when I insist. people need to think a step ahead.

• yeah I know what you mean.

• Its very difficult to admit when I'm wrong, but I will when I am. If I don't, then my credibility as an honest and straightforward person is up for scrutiny.

• yup yup.

• If the person can prove with solid points that I'm wrong, then I say "I see what you mean" then probably ask them more questions to learn more about that perspective. But if it's just sometime who puts up a fight, that doesn't mean much to me.

• i love when people are trying to do something and ask me how to do it and I try to help them but then they fight me for it. in those cases, I just let them f*** up so they'll learn their lesson.that's when I love saying, "i told you"

• You know, I've never really had someone do that to me before. I've heard people say it but I've experienced it only a few times and thought it was something else. I don't see why someone would ask for my help then refuse it, all in one conversation. But that would be the perfect chance to whip out my...sarcasm

• lol hell yeah it would. its f***in funny to see the awkward look in their eyes when they avoid eye contact cause they know I was right and should have listened.

• It's really not so hard for me especially when I know I'm in the wrong and I'm the bigger person and admit it. What's harder for me is whether or not they'll accept the apology or not. I recently did this very thing and got nothing in return. But at least I know I wasn't wrong in taking a step forward. Honesty and admitting you were wrong is always the best thing you can do.

• indeed, I agree.

• It depends on what the subject is If I am really passionate about this subject and I believe it is right then I will stand by my word but if its something that I don't have much knowledge about or something I'm not passionate about then I would not mind admitting defeat

• coo.

• easy...

• coo.

• Well... I'm never wrong so there is nothing to admit to... kidding yeah I can admit when I'm wrong.

• haha you almost got me on that one.

• People that have hard time admitting they are wrong are usually compulsive liars and like to manipulate others. They can't stand being told they are wrongs and hold grudges a lot. They are overly defensive.

• i knew that already.

• I wrote that for people who deal with people who never admit they are wrong, just to let them know to be very careful about them

• I admit I'm wrong mostly when I'm with my friends. But I never admit when I'm with my parents

• why not?

• sometimes we're nice to strangers and rude to those we love.

• true