How long do you have to get to know a girl before asking her out?

People tell me that you need to get to know her and be her friend first. Girls tell me this. But then other people tell me that you can't wait too... Show More

I like this girl from work. I think she likes me as a person - we don't know each other too well to be friends yet. I have asked her to hang out a few times - but never actually ASKED HER OUT. She comes out for group stuff, but not 1 on 1.

Anyway, she has a boyfriend now. I think I will just keep getting to know her and see if there is a spark - but still socializing with others. What do you think?
a spark sometime in the future

Most Helpful Girl

• It really depends on the girl, but it's better not to wait too long. If you ask too soon, you can always continue talking to her until she feels more comfortable. But if you wait too long, you could be friendzoned for good.

I like to talk with a guy via texting/phone for about a week before being asked on a date. If they ask sooner, I still drag out the week before I will accept as I don't feel comfortable going on a date with a total stranger. What you ask her to do is also a big part as well. If you're asking her to dinner, it's usually safer and she won't feel as scared to accept. If you're just asking her to come to your place to watch a movie, she's going to think you want a hookup and may be more reluctant if its too soon.

• Thanks. I have updated this question to let people know my situation. What do you think?

• I think if she has a boyfriend this question is irrelevant. Don't be that guy.