I Don't Like How Women are Held to Such High Standards.

I don't like it.

Men can stroll around looking like a pigsty. Shaggy, unkempt hair, 5-o'clock shadow, ripped jeans, beer-bellies, various bodily flaws, and generally an unhealthy appearance-- and yet, many seem to snag successful, healthy ladies.

Women must be the definition of perfection. They are wanted to show skin but to not look like a slut, big butt, big boobs, clear skin, perfect make-up, name brand clothing, no bodily flaws.

No particular experience birthed this rant.

And by no means am I implying that ALL guys, or ALL women are like that. It is a generalization. An unspoken expectation, in some cases.

Most Helpful Guy

• Those standards are self imposed by women themselves. I also know that most women put such efforts into their looks mainly to compete against other women, because surely a guy will not reject one on the basis of "imperfect make-up." In fact most guys I know prefer a woman with natual beauty, the kind that hang out in jeans and a t shirt with messy hair that she didn't spend hours doing that day and still look good. It's the same concept as a man who can look scruff, messy hair and torn jeans; if a man can pull that off and look good, women are all about those "naturally good looks."

I am actually more turned on by a girl who doesn't feel the need to have 3 hours worth of work put into her look just to step out of the house. To me it says she's super down to earth and confident while the contrary says the opposite. When a woman puts wayyy too much effort into her look every single day of her life, just to feel comfortable stepping outside the house, to me it just screams high maintenance and insecure. At least, experience has told me this is true, and has yet to fail me.

btw...I could care less about name brand clothing. A woman that can make an outfit she got at a thrift store look good is like...WOW. In that case, it's not the clothes that make her look good, she makes the clothes look good! - so hot lol

GAG Video of the Day

How To Become A Morning Person

What Guys Said 14

• Its all how you look at it.

I feel like its reversed.

Most guys I know like a little fat in the thighs and ass, but the women _I_ know, none of them prefer 'a little bit of a gut'. I run into women online who say they do, I think the expecting every guy to have abs is more a big city thing.

I think men can get away with more, appearance wise, but the ideal is also harder to hit.

Men are also judged on a lot of things women aren't. Not too many women will get turned down for a second date because they don't own a car, or they don't earn enough.

• Some of that is true. But that's society. It's not all guys fault the world is like this. Each gender, and type of person has something to be blamed at for this outcome.

• Oh, yes, I am aware of that. I never said (nor intended) that it is the mens' fault.

• Seriously? Anytime I walk around like that I get a lot of disapproving looks from girls.

I prefer small boobs, I don't like make-up, and I certainly don't care about girls who care about brands.

It's really women who put the standard so high for their own gender. You gals severely overestimate what the average guy's standard is.

• I prefer smart witty girls who don't put on make up and are comfortable wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt. And I know there are many of us out there.

I'm not saying that our society doesn't push women to feel like they should always look perfect and wear hills, so you're right to be upset about it. But you should just say f*** them all, and do what feels good to you!

• unfortunately that's just the way it is.

I know I try to look nice, it would be unfair to the girl if I looked like a pig and she was all dolled up.

And I think we can both agree women are way better looking than men. Women are also objectified, I blame the media

More from Guys
9

What Girls Said 5

• A lot of value and importance is placed on the way a woman looks, more so than men, I'd agree with that. This is one of the double standards we face because of centuries of equating a woman's worth with how she looks, and also because of how women are sexualized in the media, and life in general. Men have their own double standards that are unfair to them of course, but you asked about this specific phenomenon.

I don't think most guys require perfection, but certainly women place less value on their partner's looks than men do. Then again, there are things we judge men about that aren't any less shallow than looks. To argue about who's got it worse it pretty pointless imo.

• I understand and agree.

• What the hell are you talking about?

• Well we live in a patriarchal society there will always be a double standard for years before the sexual revolution ...we where suppose to look like really good trophies. Now with the woman's movement we are pretty much suppose to be able do everything!

• Im not sure what you are talking about, but when I look good, I feel good :-)

• Of course. I am not putting that down.

• This is life.

Guys are gonna whine that women want all of these things from men, but it's not true. The men saying this only want the top tier women (lookswise) without offering anything but "niceness" to match. Double standards are real, but you can't dwell on it. Find a guy who works at being appealing ... they're out there.

• A lot of women do.

• No, beauty is big but not 90%. There are plenty of pretty women out there, but if she can't hold her own then her looks want mean that much. If your point is true, then why are there so many pretty single women?

• Are there?