He says he cares about me but doesn't want to hurt me...what should I do?

I called him out on being hot and cold and flaky and told him that I had feelings for him. He said he had been unsure whether or not I had feelings for him. He told me he has feelings for me and wanted to tell me but held back because he wasn't sure how I felt and because he's been hurt badly in the past and isn't in a good place emotionally and doesn't know what he wants. He told me he thinks I'm beautiful, that he thinks about me, and that he's wanted to kiss me. He says he's tried to keep a healthy distance at times because he's afraid of hurting me but assured me that he does care. He just kept saying he doesn't want to hurt me.

I guess my question is...he says he doesn't know what he wants and isn't ready for commitment but makes it clear he has feelings for me. Does he really not know or is he just afraid? It seems to me like its a fear issue more than not knowing. But I don't know. How should I proceed? I really care about him but I don't know how to respond to this.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's a little of both. He's scared of hurting you and getting hurt himself, but he also doesn't really know how he feels yet. I would recommend letting him know that you still have feelings for him, and telling him that you're going to give him some time to work things out and decide what he wants.