• Ask
  • myTake

When should you forgive a lie?

I found out my boyfriend lied to me, I'm trying to forgive him but I'm having a hard time because I don't know if I should. A few months ago my... Show More

Most Helpful Opinion

• I wouldn't trust him if he is willing to lie about such a thing. Imagine what lies he would tell if someting were actually going on! I look on this differently from most...I think you agree with me!

• It is hard, but then I don't want to have this destroy our relationship if this was the one and only bad move. He promised he'll be more straight forward with everything and he honestly thought at the time it was a good move to keep it from me to keep me from freaking out for no reason (though I wouldn't have).

• I'd watch carefully from now on..no need to up and leave right now, but be less trusting!

What Guys Said 2

• Sounds like a little white lie to me. I think if you can't forgive him for something as inconsequential as that, then your relationship is shaky at best.

What Girls Said 1

• You should definitely forgive him. when you confronted him he told you the truth and even let's you go through his phone, phone records, emails, etc. He told you a little white lie because he didn't want you to get upset and it's obvious he doesn't want anything to do with his ex. he just wanted to tell her about the picture. I think he is being extremely generous letting you go through all his personal stuff and information. clearly he has nothing to hide and you should just let this little lie go. he sounds like a nice guy. oh and don't take this the wrong way but I think you might be just a little crazy to go through all his personal stuff and have his passwords. if you trust him then you shouldn't have to be looking at all that stuff to make sure he's not talking to other girls or whatever

• He didn't tell me the truth when I confronted him, he was still lying even while I was reading the past IMs to convince me not to. He let me go through his phone and stuff since the beginning of our relationship, because I told him I was damaged from previous relationships and family members of trusting people so he thought that would be a good way to show I can trust him. However this kinda knocked me down from what I was building up :-(

• oh I'm sorry. guess I misread your answer. yea I definitely think there are some trust issues in your relationship and you were right to confront him and get to the bottom of it. I hope everything works out for the best though