Why do most girls think fake-looking is attractive?

So I've noticed that many girls have and, therefore, think the fake look is attractive. I'm talking about fake orange tans, bleached-blond hair, and lots of make-up especially too much black eyeliner. And of course some go to the extremes and get fake boobs and other plastic surgery. But why? I know that most guys think that that's very unattractive and make fun of it and so do I, usually with them.

my point is not to put others down or to judge but instead question why certain girls think whatever is fake-looking is attractive.
If you want to know more what I'm talking about: link

what is she thinking?! her hair even looks like it glows in the dark!
I think I've found the conclusion to my question: some girls change their appearance so much because they're insecure about how they unnaturally look and maybe also because of the media & society...but little do they know many others find it unattractive.
disregard that link to that girl's MySpace because what she looks like in her newest default picture is waaay different and better than what she did before.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• i have noooo idea! its so tacky! I think they think its attractive and don't realize what the big picture looks like. The probably think that by idealizing each feature (ex: fake tanning the pale skin) the whole picture is pretty. but its not...they end up looking like those chicks on Rock of Love or something! I feel bad for them because they look kind of cheap and worthless when they probably spent a lot of time trying to make themselves look that way and are really insecure to begin with.

• I totally agree and thanks for answering!btw you're really pretty, which proves once again that girls can be pretty even with having light skin and dark hair...versus orange/tan skin and super blonde hair.

• Thanks so much! :) same to you!

• Wow I totally agree lol.the least makeup, the better in my opinion

What Guys Said 20

• Personlly the way I see it, that is how girls try to look when they're looking for one night stands, and that's fine with me cause I won't do anything with a girl like that.

• I agree, though I also still don't see how unnatural looking orange tans, bleached blonde hair, lots of dark eye make-up, fake nails, etc. is that physically appealing and wonder why some girls think it is.

• I couldn't tell you.

• honestly I think its just a fantasy... most men want to sleep with a bleached blonde bimbo. That being said, most girls get more attention when they look that way. And for some girls that is the only way they will get attention. From experience... once I had the beached blonde bimbo fantasy it gets a little old and boring. I realized that all these young girls look the same and they do it for the attention.Nothing less attractive than an insecure girl who tries to mask who she really is.

• Where did you find that link? lol Did that girl piss you off or something? I bet her next profile picture will be one of the following:1. her doing a kissy face.2. her pushing her cleavage together.3. her and a bottle of jack daniels.

• Lol she's apparently a friend of a friend and I might have seen her at a show but we've never even met. I didn't post that link because of anything against that girl - for I do not know her - but instead of what she makes herself look like.

• People alter their appearance because they feel it makes them more attractive according to their perception of the modern standards of desirability. In past generations women strove to stay out of the sun to preserve a more pale appearance that was considered more desirable. People would tan because they believe it makes them look healthier, more active and fit, and more like the popular images of models in the media. Some perceive more pale to be more sickly, kept indoors, or whatnot. I am not saying either is right or wrong, but that is the general fashion idea nowadays (at least in the US--in other countries where people are more multi-toned they often seek to be as light as possible).Fake blonde hair is often a result of trying to recapture what your hair used to look like when you were young. For most people who have blonde hair as children their hair changes to a more mousy, dishwater, or gray blonde as they become adults. They want to recapture the more platinum or golden tones. For those who didn't have blonde hair to begin with they are just following fashion trends or trying new things.The fake boobs and plastic surgery are again an attempt to mimic the current social ideal. People often feel more self-confident if they think they are more physically attractive so they modify their appearance to match what they think is most attractive if they can. In general people want to desirable and admired and many think improving their physical appearance is the best way to achieve that.If it primarily brought negative results instead of positive results people probably wouldn't do these things, but as long as it works, or they think it works, people will continue to do it.

• I should probably add they don't perceive it as fake as much as they perceive it as enhancing.

• Show Older
    • It can become an obsession as people get more and more caught up in their looks. In a sense it even becomes the norm, and if a little is good then a lot is better.

• Ya that I agree with more!

• Lol, this is old and whatnot, but yeah, I agree. That's a great way to phrase it, the "fake look", not even trying to look like a better you. Just fake. Don't like that...

• What "fakeness" communicates to a man is twofold: 1. That she seeks attention from other women who will envy her and from superficial men that want flings. 2. That she lacks self assurance and lacks self confidence but is willing to do whatever to please a potential suitor. I prefer natural looking woman anyday !

• Platinum blonde hair or whatever you want to call it doesn't look good on anybody.I think a lot of girls have the total wrong idea on what a guy finds attractive. Only guy that would be into that stuff is somebody really insecure that just kinda does whatever he thinks a guy is supposed to do instead of having his own thoughts.

• Oh that's very true and informative! thanks for answering :)

• You're welcome! Literally every guy I've spoken to says they prefer dark hair, whether it's black or brunette. I've said to my friends before about blonde girls "You know what? She looks great but I'd be way more into her if her hair was darker!" lol

• Oh that's good to hear!I mean I have no problem with blonde hair, but I think it looks much better if it's natural rather than bleached. I think that people should stick pretty close to their natural hair color whatever it is - in fact I've experienced with many different hair colors, including blonde and red, but I've found that black looks the best with on me [I'm a natural brunette] especially since it brings out my eyes.

• Because that's what the media pumps into our brains every minute of every day and sooner or later, it becomes the norm. It's a sad fact, but the majority of North American culture have a pack (lemming) mentality. It's like watching someone swerve on the road as they try to drive and use a cell phone at the same time, while you know they can't. They just don't know any different and usually won't put the effort into being different for fear of not being accepted.

• Thank you; I'm now giving you the best answer award!

• I think a lot of it has to do with Western Society - look at all the images we see that "tell" us what pretty is...they are unattainable - most modelling pictures or billboard/ad pictures have been retouched to the point that if you put a real picture of the model next to the ad you wouldn't know they are the same person. So girls/women are trying to attain the impossible and guys are being taught that some fake beauty is what its all about. Other societies don't have it any better, they either cover everything up or require some other extreme thing to focus on.

• you mean like this? link Frankly, I have NO idea why. A lot of men do it too, called "guidos." I think it's part of the "Acting tough," thing. Frankly, I think they just look like idiots.They tend to also puff out their lips and look sideways and have bright colored contacts that contrast with red eyes. Most don't know how to wear heels and stumble around the room, and when drunk embarrass themselves going "Am I sexy guys? Am I sexy?"It really is a huge embarrassment.

• Hahaha I pretty sure that's a drag queen and I'm not being sarcastic.

• Show Older
    • Hahaha I just laugh every time I look at it

• I puke every time I look at it...j/k but if I had a very weak stomach I would.

• Personally, If I'm given the choice between a "chatelaine certified perfect" woman, and a chubby "girl next door" who hasn't a spot of makeup, and is all "factory original", I'll take the "girl next door" type every time. Why? She's on my level, and deep enough to see beyond the appearance.(Plus, I think chubby women are cute)Greg

• This is why I find Megan Fox unattractive. She's hiding her eyes. But I must say, without/little makeup, Megan Fox is attractive, she has nice eyes without them.Anyway, I agree with you.

• Wtff megans eyes are not real??/

• She is extremely pretty without make-up.I saw a pic of she and Brian(that's his name right) on the beach and she had no make up on and looked gorgeous.Very natural

• MTV

• Lol very true! not to mention also some shows on VH1.

• Paris Hilton succeeded and many other famous people do that stuff so girls emulate them. not because they have depth of character or knowledge wisdom or fashion but because they have made money. their style is just theirs and people copy it to emulate them. srry I might have repeated myself there

• Its the media's fault honestly. I used to think women are stupid for falling for it... But now I understand it. Its hard to resist the brainwashing. Guys buy into their brainwashing too. Guys get obsessed with getting abs, fast cars and hair gels...

• This is so old, yeah. But I gotta say... I LOVE the 'fake look'. Obvious fake tan, obvious fake dyed hair, heavy makeup, all of that. I really really love it, in all its classless glory. Its a new kind of beauty, its beauty from a bottle. Its modern beauty! I love that.Its like a new race, a new breed. Girls like that are like... Elves. Urban Elves, man. Real city slickers. And it excites me a lot.

• dont worry about it your naturally attractive and those girls are miserable because they aren't pretty without it

• Thanks! and I don't think they're pretty with it either ;)...actually in fact I think that girls look better without all that dark eye make up and fake tans and stuff.

• I hate modern city girls.they does these type of things.i love village girls.

• i think because of money. Money changed them. Short but clear.

• I kinda agree - if you mean having lots of money gives people the opportunity to buy stuff that makes them look a certain way. Would you elaborate on that?

• What I was about to say is that your comment is saying it all.

• Okay thanks.

• minus that fake tan some people go for that. girls are shooting for what they see as an ideal. why mock someone for their opinion or hopes. they aspire to be something else. its like saying people who want to be painters as dumb because I don't like painters.

• Their opinion or hopes?? wtf? it's their making themselves fake-looking that we mock.

• Show Older
    • A look is not a lifestyle. A person can be tattoed and pierced all over and you would assume they would have an active sex life when they're a virgin and waiting until marriage. Just because someone looks a certain way doesn't mean they have to act a certain way or are going to be a certain way. So, lifestyle? No sorry but you've confused the two.

• I pretty much agree, StandingPretty. I try not to make assumptions about people solely on how they look. however, some of the stereotypes are true such as girls who dress skimpy are more promiscuous. there are exceptions of course. and some people make what they look like their lifestyle; I saw a cops show yesterday where this pretty-but-fake-looking girl was pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt, saying that she can't because she recently got fake boobs and they are her "FAVORITE THINGS."

• Probably because not every girl is attractive like you are? And it is not their fault that they are like that, and artificial alterations make them feel they have a choice about it?

• Idk if you're being sarcastic or not but just to let you know I don't think I'm NATURALLY attractive at all but putting just a little make up on and dying my hair black makes me look a whole lot better, versus putting on a ton of make up especially around the eyes and bleaching the hair just makes girls look worse no matter what they looked like before.

• Holy sh*t, do you notice this? This answer and the answer just below are exactly the same but worded differently. This answer was greeted with hostility, the other with praise. What a dang experiment.

• lol I never noticed that either! and apparently it's been over a year now, and since then I've had my hair all sorts of colors that aren't black - including blond but I did try to make it look natural and then I got sick of it, went for dark red, and now it's more close to my natural hair color medium brown. anyways I still stick with the less-is-more make-up philosophy, but a little bit of everything is fine. even my dad complains the Kardashian sisters wear too much make up and it looks bad.

What Girls Said 34

• I think society and the media is partially to blame...

• yep that's true! I guess I've concluded that because females see lots of other females, especially the celebrity ones, have all this fake stuff like dark make up on them that most of them think that's the way they're supposed to look to supposedly look more attractive too.

• i don't think most girls think it's just that well, like sometimes I have a bad night where I don't sleep lots and I know I don't look that great, I'll use make up to look better.i don't have bleach blond hair, I have brown with highlightsi've never tanned in my life, but I'm naturally a little beige/ palebut yeah I know what you mean. when everyone looks the same , it isn't beauty, it just isn't unique

• Ya I understand that make-up can be used to make someone to look a whole lot better - I use it a myself, but I believe that there is such thing as too much of it and that's what I see on plenty of girls. And I also agree with the rest of your answer.

• thanks you for this question! I TOTALLY don't understand the trend. my best friend in highschool was a bit chubby, and in her first year at university she lost a lot of weight, dyed her hair jet black and started getting really orange tans...a lot more guys found her attractive, but she became a total slut.

• Yay someone else who agrees! though I do think that losing weight is perfectly fine if at first there was at least some fat and dying hair is fine if it's close to the natural color and not that extreme, but orange tans are a big no-no. I guess some guys do think that tans are more attractive but there are plenty more who hate fake ones and like natural skin colors.

• i can't stand fake tans, they almost always turn orange and can usually b spotted a mile away.

• Finally someone who totally agrees with me! though I'll admit to used to fake tanning [using fake tanning lotions, etc.], which really didn't look good on my naturally pale skin. now I accept and actually like having both pale skin and dark hair.

• Some people look better with lighter skin.my friend has dark hair and porcelain skin and I think she's gorgeous

• You can't control people or force them to look how you feel they should look. For all you know, someone is mocking you because you don't fit into thier ideal of thin enough or trendy enough or what have you. And it shouldnt mattter...because you are not someones puppet to exist only as they please you to be...and alongside that..no one is your puppet to exist only as you please for them to be.It makes sense to stop paying attention to what other people are doing, and putting so much effort into making people fit into our personal ideals or spend valuable personal time on them by deciding what other people should do and teasing and mocking them for not fitting into your personal idea...and instead enjoy a higher quality of life by simply doing what you feel is best for you personally.

• My point is not that I mock or judge those girls but instead wonder WHY they make themselves look so fake.

• Show Older
    • I love how I don't do that much either - some make-up and sometimes straighten my hair and dye my hair dark but that's about it - and usually I assume that's partly why I've been recently getting attention from guys and get told that I'm cute. I'm just wondering why certain girls think that lots of eye make-up, fake tans, bleached blonde hair, extensions, etc. is attractive.

• My answer is the same... they may think they are attractive because they feel attractive..and the person whose opinion matters most to them probably think they are attractive too.

• magazines portray fake as the best way to be. Not many girls believe in just being real.

• True. You never see stretch marks, or pimples, or cellulite, or out of place hair, or anything that doesn't fit the "ideal" in most magazines and popular media. It is unfortunate that the ideals we see aren't real, they are airbrushed and photoshopped.

• I think it isn't right, it's insecure and drone-like. Don't blame them as much as society, and the people that incourage them to disregard their natural beauty for that crap.

• Great answer!

• ewww I know what you mean . I hate walking around seein girls who look orange and they just think that they are all that. When I see them I laugh becasue I wish they only knew how ugly and stupid they looked. Plus the bleach blond hair looks almost white like an old lady or something. Girls who look fake like that are just insecure and need to look in the mirror more often to fix their make up.

• Agreed agreed agreed!

• Well I'm bleached blonde and it suits me a lot better than my brown hair did. You could argue that a blonde dying her hair brown is fake... but nobody ever says that.I agree overdoing it on the orange tan and makeup isn't a great look, specially put together with the bleached hair. but confidence and handups are a funny thing and people do anything to make themselves feel better. And that might just be overdoing it on the slap.

• Ya I actually agree even with you bleaching your hair - I mean I think it's alright to completely change one's haircolor as long as it looks alright, I've even done that a lot...though it hasn't always turned out that well. I totally agree that a lot of almost everything to change one's appearance is just way too much...but a few girls do all that because of they're insecure about how they unnaturally look...and I think I just found the conclusion to my question!

• Show Older
    • "snog marry avoid" sounds like the game you play where you have three people and you pick one to "f*** marry or kill"

• It is, but the fake looking people who think everyone loves the way they look gets shown to the public and they choose wheather they would snog marry of avoid them, most avoids.

• I think fake is unattractive and I think girls/guys do it to boost their confidence. Not only with plastic surgery but also make up. I guess they use it as a "need to feel pretty" kind of thing. I think natural beauty is the best.

• Totally agree too! there's also fake tans, bleached blonde hair, hair extensions, you name it.and some things - such as make up - do enhance beauty but too many times girls overdo it that it's not only ridiculous but also ridiculous looking. like I said in another comment, just look at "Daisy" from Daisy of Love http://www.vh1.com/shows/daisy_of_love/series.jhtml

• Lmao yessss @ daisy!

• adding on my answer... sorry I lied one day last year I did look like that I went got my hair done, my nails done and I actually got a fake tan (which I thought had a nice naturally look on me) anyway I did it because me and my boyfriend were going to the coast for the weekend, and I didn't want to put up with him gawking and making comments about all the girls down there. I i made myself look like that I got a whirlful of attention I was getting more attention then any other girl down there. but you know what my boyfriend still treated me like I was ugly compared to these other girls, who were only average in look. so I guess my point it looking like that doesn't get you what you want in life, it just gets you guys drooling :)

• ...but I'll have you know that not all guys go after the tanned, bleached blonde bimbo.I have super white skin and black hair and nowadays at least I still get lots of guys hitting on me, flirting with me, crushing on me, etc.

• Show Older
    • Exactally right. my ex once told me he'd rather look at blonds but date brunetts. and it's true, these fake blonds arn't relationship material (to high matenence for one)

• Okay that's good to hear, though I doubt that blondes are the only ones who can be "eye candy"...and if you agree that the fake blondes aren't relationship material then how come you're one to have bottle blonde hair? and if it's fake, such as extremely blonde hair and tanned bodies then it most likely LOOKS fake too.

• sorry but do you notice that most guys would check her out if she walked past them. it's just because she looks ____ (insert word I can't think of) like you see bright blond hair you turn around even I do so of cousre guys would. hehe I saw a pic today on bebo of this girl and she honestly looked like a doll. worse then yours. I'd show you but I don't know how to add a link hehebut you know I don't think people show say blond hair, black eyeliner = plastic, fake whatever. because I've got bottle blone hair and I love my black eyeliner but I don't think I look fake like that. I don't have to plastic looking shin, and I don't have to have me hair and nails done daily or my makeup perfect to look good like these girls.they just have to much money. hehe to look like that you need constant hair, nail, fake tan and makeup attention. I try and look good but, I don't go overboard like some plastic girls, but I go more overboard then some girls I know

• tanning, peroxide, profuse amounts of makeup--they're all used to emphasize characteristics that people idealize--a healthy tan, pretty blonde hair, striking features etc. what you (and a lot of people) don't like is that a lot of mediocre-looking girls pile all that sh*t on themselves and act as if that makes them beautiful--it doesn't, it distracts from what they actually look like. there are girls who dress and style themselves like that and look like sh*t, there are girls who dress and style themselves like that and are genuinely beautiful. the girls who are ugly probably do it to hide their features and the beautiful ones do it because it works for them--they get the attention of over the top makeup and style in addition to their natural beauty.

• Very true, and I think that the more that they look like Barbie the more they THINK that they're attractive, which in actuality some of them look so extreme that they look horrible...in my opinion.

• It's a personal statement - people showing who they are/what they're like without saying anything, much like a persons clothing choice.People are who they are and no-one should judge them, pitty that some do, really.

• ...says the girl with the messy hair and black under her eyes.

• Show Older
    • ...and I'm not here to start an argument at all but apparently I had offended some and, thus, they started an argument with me.

• Whatever helps you sleep at night.And also, I don't have messy hair so that guys will be attracted me. I do what I like and if others like it, then they like it, but I really couldn't care less.

• I like it the natural way. I don't even use make up or something. It would only cause you pimples.

• Eh...I wear some make up especially to HIDE my pimples and I think that even if I didn't wear make up I would still break out.

• i no what you mean u c all those girls and I think its because most of the time they are they type of girls who sleep with each others bfs and stuffand they go and get faked up with each other there are a lot of those girls I don't like erri don't wear much make up and I'm proud of my winter whiteness (cuz I'm in australia )i only have a natural tan in summer :]:D

• it's not that they think it's attractive, it's just that they like what they look like.

• they think it is pleasing to men because that is all that you see in magazines and tv but in real life guys like naturally beautiful girls who don't have to get surgeries or cake on a bunch of makeup.trust me I have a lot of guy friends and they tell me.girls just think that this is attractive to guys because the media blows it all up

• I don't quite understand it. the only thing I use is eye liner, but inlike most girls, I don't make myself look like a cat. I think a lot of it has to so with what's done on tv. I grew up without any form of cable television so I'm innocent. lol

• they don't feel good about themselves so they go and try to make themselves look "better"

• I figured that, but I don't get how that look is better. though as "regular-guy" pointed out, "if a little is good then a lot is better." That sounds good in theory but there is such thing as a look being too extreme and too unnatural, which is what I'm talking about.

• Show Older
    • Ya, true, and I'm not against that if it's a reasonable, natural size but if it's like Pamela Anderson's [and really everything fake about her] then it's just...not good.

• True

• fake might look sexier and maybe even more feminine (to guys) but I personally think natural is way prettier. it's not just a look, it's a personality shining through your appearance.plus, everyone can look fake-pretty if you have the money. natural beauty is a gift :)

• I am sorry but that girl you put in a link is very very pretty in my book...Not fake looking to me...

• Well I think that she's naturally pretty but the orange tan and white hair makes her looks worse.

• Show Older
    • And to hunglow am I a freak? I can be....Lol

• I'm not judging her as a person but rather the way she looks. And I see nothing wrong with it since I don't even know her nor have I said anything about her to her or anyone whom she knows.

• I HATE when girls do that! God it ruins guys view on REAL girls and then they think having a little "meat on them" is being a big fatty...but I guess you gotta feel bad for them and good for the real ones, because we get the deep caring guys, the ones who don't care whether we wear makeup or have short hair or aren't 110 lbs...we get the real guys and they can have the players, even tho they're hot, they're not always true...I've trained myself from the start (or when I got my heart broken) to look way deeper than looks. So yeah, I'm very soryy if I've offended anyone this is just a really hot topic for me. I'm sorry once again. =]

• Well, the orange tans just means they've tanned too much (either from the beds, or from sprays.) I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but "tanorexia" (obsession with tanning) is becoming an honest to goodness problem. I used to be like that (except I became unnaturally brown, not orange). The girls who are guilty of all these excessives are honestly insecure with how they really look. You'll never see them without their makeup, and they hate how they look pale (which, most girls who tan are naturally paler).But if you think about it, men read playboy. Playboy bunnies are what? Tanned, large breasted, and bleach blonde. Any girl who feels the slightest insecurity about herself and her body would be tempted to do any (or in some cases, all) of these things to themselves. It's sad, and I wish the media would back off.

• You're right! I just don't see how orange is better looking than white or beige and bleached blonde hair is better looking than darker hair.and I just came along this girl's myspace today http://www.myspace.com/asiansupertoilet - I might have even seen her at a show before - and wonder what is she thinking?! Her hair even looks like it glows in the dark!

• i dunno. those extra long fake nails are weird to me.

• I like tan and make-up,if we have the opportunity to make ourself more beautifulwhy wouldn't we? Ok,i don't like crazy stuffs too,but still.

• But how is fake orange tans and lots of make-up "beautiful?"

• Show Older
    • Yes I do agree that a little make-up is fine - I wear it every day. but I'm talking about when girls overdo it and all you see is eyeliner or eyeshadow instead of the eyes. and I admit to used to fake-tanning myself, until I've realized that it's not worth it because apparently [at least guys] think I look cute even while being super white. but, again, I'm talking about overly-tanning so it doesn't look natural at all.

• I agree with you,to overdo is always a bad choice!

• i hate fake looking.

• I don't fake tan, my hair is natural...but I don't know 'bout the guys you know, but I ALWAYS see those girls getting loadza attention from guys. Sometimes I wish I looked like them.

• It probably depends on where one lives and where one goes; I live in Minnesota where most girls don't look that extreme/fake and the ones who do are usually "scene kids," "goth," or "emo" [& many of those girls are ugly] so guys usually go for the many natural-looking pretty ones such as myself.And please don't even wish to look like them! For one the guys who give them attention are most likely not the guys you want...especially to be dumb enough to give attention to girls who look all fake.

• Show Older
    • Yeah, people with red hair in ireland get teased really bad! And they're in complete minority. I like red hair, but most guys don't.

• Oh wow that's sad!And I'm not going to doubt it anymore for where you live since, well, you live there and I don't. Just don't think that all guys in the western world [including Europe] just want that look for a guy for I know that many in America do like dark or red hair and even light-colored skin versus the fake blonde hair and tanned skin. In a lot of questions here that ask what guys prefer many of them at least say dark or red hair and a natural looking skin tone.

• well, it looks better than your ugly ass.

• Meanie

• Show Older
    • =living proof that those girls usually have amazing personalities too xD

• If you're gonna call someone ugly,don't post anonymously.Only makes you fake and pathetic and adds to your ugly attitude

• some girls are torn down...they feel like they have too. people made fun of me my whole life so I died my hair, got blue contacts, tanned, got a lot of makeup, became anorexic, spent all my money on clothes and was depressed and tried to hide myself all the time...everyone thought I was a loser. people are so cruel. then I realized life isn't about what you look like, its what you do for other people and how you impact the world to make a difference. now I'm ugly as could be, but I'm happy and have lots of friends now. I stopped trying to be someone else and people liked me.

• Thanks for sharing your story! but nothing wrong with trying to be more attractive on the outside too - I'm going to cosmetology school now to be a hair stylist at least so I'm gonna make it a career to make others more attractive on the outside plus I change my own look a lot, especially my hair color.....it's just when girls over-exaggerate what is supposedly only beautiful [tanned skin, dark eyes, etc.] when they actually make themselves look worse.

• Show More