• Ask
  • myTake

Does anyone else thing the up and down vote feature should be removed?

I understand the original intention of this, but I think that now it's way too overblown. People down vote for everything now, from not liking the person who asks the question to seeing a sentence in the question they don't like. Same with up-voting as the concepts are the same. I think that this feature should be removed. Anyone else?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I agree. It's pretty much an "I (dis)like this person" button and has nothing to do with advice.

• Exactly. Plus if there is a question opposite of your beliefs, it's automatically down voted. This site is jammed full of immature people with no experience in life, so since they don't know about anything they down vote it as a result. It's ridiculous.

• I could not agree more.

What Girls Said 16

• I don't really care who upvotes or downvotes me, ultimately. Sometimes I'm surprised by the downvotes I receive, especially when it's an answer that doesn't seem to warrant downvotes, like a favorite color or something silly like that. It is weird, no doubt!But honestly, it doesn't really bother me that much since I know no one takes the "votes" seriously anyway, haha!

• Completely agree! I think that people just started downvoting if they simply don't like the color you like (for example) lol

• i agree. its useless.

• Agreed. It's f***ing pointless.

• Yes because now Its pointless since we won't get any points from it anymore.Some users here have been keeping old personal grudge towards other users for some reasons.Their answers will get down voted no matter how relevant they are.Still,It won't harm the users though but sometimes It can be annoying.

• I totally agree with you. and a few others here that it's nothing more than , at times, to cause some person you don't like to lose points.even if it's a valid answer!it's too bad people abuse this option and just disagree for no reason!

• Yeah I thought the down vote thing would be good to use if someone is trolling or they're just being rude. However, I've never trolled or been rude in any comments I've posted, and I sometimes get down votes. There was one question on here about how unattractive women feel about being unattractive. I am an unattractive woman, so I answered and I gave my insight about how it's like. I explained some situations I've been in. I got so many down votes for it. It irritated me because I don't see why it should have been down voted. I took my time to give a thoughtful answer about my experiences and I got probably about 8 down votes. In no way was my post insulting other people or was it rude.

• It made me feel bad at first to be downvoted on things that didn't make any sense. I've noticed since I put my picture up I get downvoted more often so I'm not really sure what to think about that. I just don't care anymore. However I do like the feature since it allows me to see what other people agree most on.

• Yeah, people downvote for stupid reasons.

• I like just being able to go through and express my opinion about each person's answer. I don't even know anyone on this site, and have no personal opinions about any of the users on here. I just read people's responses, and if I like their answer, they get an up vote. If not, they get a down vote. Anyone who sheds any tears over the up/down voting feature is overly sensitive to criticism. It's just a f***ing website.

• I think users on here have abused almost every feature, simply because they hold e-grudges/e-hate towards specific users and want e-revenge.I do think that the voting system is pointless now. When I first started, upvotes gave you points. Then they took the points away, so even if you get like 50 upvotes you get no extra points. So in a way, it's pointless.The rating(star) system is pointless too since we no longer get points from that, anymore.

• i agree.

• no its awesome.. YouTube does the same.

• i actually like it and prefer it, I think in most questions, it shows a good consensus and gives the question asker a better idea of where they stand with their situation. I know there are some offenders that just downvote cause they hate the user and that sucks I admit, I hope gag can find solution to that like make the blocking feature more effective, but overall I think the feature is necessary in questions. for example one time I saw this question where a naive girl asked if her boyfriend really loves her or not or just using her for sex, and half people that answered wrote that yes he loves you cause he cares about you through his actions, and then some guys answered no he's only using you for your body, and they got downvoted for that many times. I think that helped the QA a lot otherwise she could have dumped her boyfriend over what the downvoted ones said.

• No, I like it because it helps me see how many people think/feel the same thing. I know that I won't answer sometimes because someone has already stated my opinion/thoughts already. I get downvoted sometimes and upvoted sometimes ... no biggie. A downvote isn't going to harm any of us in anyway.

• Nope

• Yes it's annoying

What Guys Said 7

• No. I like using to up vote legit answers (even if I don't agree with it). It also makes my day when I get a couple of up votes myself lol

• It's not a death sentence or a million bucks lottery win and it adds a little drama & excitement to the answers. So it doesn't bother me to get removed.

• I got downvoted a million times by people who don't like me cause of my political views and don't like me...LOL..who gives a sh*t

• You are a little overboard sometimes, but that's YOUR opinion and YOUR preference, so who am I to down vote that? Which is why I don't down vote.

• I am sure you have down voted me before, but like I said, I really don't give a f***

• I am in agreement also. When I give advice, regardless of who asks the question, I try to be as open minded and unbiased as possible because I want to give fair and impartial advice. In the comments area I will sometimes see people state, "that makes sense" or "I agree 100%", etc, but as I look at it , I will get a barrage of down votes just because I won't support a one sided view. I think the down voting goes beyond the like or dislike of a particular person, but quite often people will ask self serving questions and of course their followers will posse up and support them by giving them the answers they are seeking. Someone else will come in and give a more reasonable answer and they get down voted because they didn't support the same view as the person asking the question. Recently I received a best answer vote from the person asking a question but because it went against someone's one sided views, I got 11 down votes. Of course the question was dealing with issues of race, and some people tend to be very biased in regard to such a sensitive topic. Even if the up vote or down vote feature isn't to be removed, I do believe it should be amended in a way where as it forces the person to state (without anonymity) the reason they disagree, but then again, some people would post a bogus answer if they're intent on down voting, but the feature alone would probably discourage a lot of unfair down voting.

• Absolutely.

• ** down votes** jk :D

• See just up voted u. To tell you the truth I find this buttons totally worthless

• Agreed.

• i like the up and downvote feature