Why do men like to call women all these sweet nicknames?

I have no problem if someone I like call me with sweet nicknames, but I start to feel annoyed by men calling me sweet nicknames when I just know them or when I don't even know them at all. I often get called sweetie, sweetheart, babe, baby, hon, and even buttercup. This guy who I recently meet keeps calling me sweetheart, sweetie, and baby since our first phone call. And this other one called me hon out of nowhere. I mean, I can deal with sweetie and even sweetheart, but isn't baby and hon a bit too much when I don't even really know them that well? I personally would not want my partner to go around and call others sweetheart, baby, or hon unless they are talking to kids. Is that something men do as a habit?

Most Helpful Guy

• They may be trying to hit on you in a somewhat passive/aggressive way. Don't read too much into it and just say, I'm not interested or I have a boyfriend.

What Guys Said 3

• Sorta. They might be hitting on you or just Southern. I don't know.

• Gives us a feeling of ownership, sad but true. We like to feel like we are in control of things and that is one way to feel like you are ours.

What Girls Said 1

• Cause they like it? That would be my guess.