Do you think that body positivity is holding a lot of people back from being fit and healthy?

I'm gonna even try to look up to some body positive bullshit if I want some motivation to get my ass up and work for my body. Because it is simply discourage people to get out of their bubble and make changes to their body. The body that we were given to isn't gonna reshape itself into a better version. If you eat unhealthy and choose to not excercise, you'll get hideous and your health is gonna go downhill, as simple as that. Being fat is never beautiful (if you said that fat people are beautiful then you probably only said that based on their faces or their personality)

loving your body isn't wrong, but encourage people to be unhealthy and just "accept the body that they were given to" is. Because loving our own body means that we have to take care of it, not shoving tons of junk food and sugar down our stomach and call that "body positive" because you'd just "treated yourself"

What's your opinion on this?

• I agree with you
  • I disagree
  • Shut up, ugly
    Vote C
  • You're fat, OP
    Vote D
7d
*I'm NOT gonna even try... (just a mini mistake haha)
6d
just a quick reminder: CURVY DOESN'T MEAN FAT.

8787
Sponsored

What Guys Said 87

• another form of "safe space" that this generation doesn't need.

• 6d

triggers! microaggressions! lol 🙄

• 2d

@phoenyxwilliams they could just not care by default of what other people think. Why need a safe space?

• 1d

This dude here is right. Girls can ignore the negative things in life.

• Body positivity is a good idea that got applied the wrong way. I don't think anyone should be terribly depressed about things they can't change about themselves. If you have aspirations of being a runway model, even in your best shape and optimal body composition, you still might be too short, too broad hipped/shouldered, etc. And that type of shit, you have to own and embrace it, and work it in the way people built in whatever your way is can work it. That's what it should be about.

Problem is, most people love an excuse. It's a lot easier to make excuses than to make positive progress. Working out and eating/drinking for nutrional value over taste on an almost daily basis takes discipline and commitment. The majority of people seem to be unwilling to make those commitments, and usually you can see the physical difference between the two factions, and more often than not I'd bet that the overall health of the healthy lifestyle group is better, save for random diseases and injuries, etc. But what we really see right in our face how someone fills out a pair of jeans, basically. And most everyone generally tends to be more attracted to people in good physical shape, whether or not they themselves are in good shape. There's gotta be something in our natural wiring causing that. And when we don't fit that mold, we feel... wait for it... SHAME.

If I could retire a word from modern day life, it might be "shaming." Of course I don't endorse being a dick to people and pointing and laughing at their shortcomings. But you can't go the complete opposite direction and protect everyone from judgement. No one should mock you outright, but we also shouldn't be like "ahhhh, you look GREAT at 34% body fat! Have another sundae! It's not you, it's THEM!" Please make no mistake, it is in fact YOU if your body doesn't meet a standard of at least decent and healthy physical shape. At some point it's not even about being able to wear bathing suits in public, it's about your actual health, all the science-y shit that goes on beneath the surface. And it does people a disservice to delude them into thinking there's something wrong with their thoughts or those of others if they say it's unhealthy, or even just unattractive.

I've let myself go before. And one day I couldn't stand what I saw in the mirror, said "enough is enough", and got a lot more serious about my dietary habits. I feel good now, still have stuff to improve, but at 38? I'll take where I'm at all day👍

• 5d

... And that "shame"'everyone is so scared of is what motivates me. Shame is a natural emotion that we're meant to feel, otherwise we wouldn't feel it. It keeps people honest on a lot of levels, whether the shame is our own or caused by others. Don't hide from shame, let the prospect of it be the fire under your ass that gets you out of bed everyday. How about feeling positive about your body because you take really good care of it? Js...

• 5d

true. shame is important for correction

• I don't think we should promote being fat or being skinny. We should see health as synonymous with beauty. If someone is skinny enough that they'll pass out from forgetting a meal, they're not being healthy. If someone is overweight to the point where doing simple tasks is a hassle, they are not being healthy. There's a wide range of what one could consider healthy, and so long as someone falls within those fairly broad boarders, they're beautiful. Besides that, we shouldn't encourage someone to be fat or skinny. The thing we have to avoid is people accepting their own unhealthy lifestyles.

• Is it the reason people are held back from being fit and healthy?

in my opinion nope.. The problem of obesity in western countries mainly USA and UK is rooted deeper.. Not just pinpointed on body positive; it's trivial compared to example, flooding the market with so much processed shit food.. Unbelievable high sugar content.

• i hate the phrase "fat is sexy" because you are also saying "diabetes is sexy, cancer is sexy, dying early is sexy". Fat looks funny because it is unburnt calories trying to find a place to go reside in your body, so it takes away and distorts the natural and beautiful slim form we all have underneath if we just ate healthy and were active.

• 5d

the dislikes are by those who hate the truth lol... probably fat also. Dont hate being fat and doing nothing about it! Im not slim but i got rid of apnea and chronic heartburn by losing weight. The benefits both physically and romantically are so worth it!

• This is a very good post. It should have been your "my take" instead of a normal post.

Yes I completely agree with everything you have said, you are right.

• 7d

Good thing it was a question and not a MyTake because I dont read mytakes

• I agree with you, it doesn't help when someone wants to improve their health and I say health because this is what its all about, health. Its not about how you look, which comes from vanity. Those of us who dont agree with all this body positivity do it because we think of health.

I know the whole idea comes from all the years of social conditioning through the main stream media that people have to look a certain way, like super models. However the solution is not to praise unhealthy states, I say unhealthy states and not bodies because any body can change to a healthy one.

• What is referred to as 'body positivity' is more lies and delusion from repulsive Feminist land whales, who want all women to be as unattractive and miserable as they are.
    The fact, the science, is that being overweight is terrible for health.
    Excess weight leads to type-two diabetes, which leads to heart, kidney, liver and pancreatic disease.
    It takes decades off a person's life and makes what life they do have miserable through poor health.
    Obesity also harms fertility, big time.
    None of this is secret knowledge. It is all science that has been documented extensively for generations.
    Feminists, as usual, ignore the facts and push ahead with their Marxist delusion in the hope that if they repeat the lie often enough the lie will somehow become the reality.

• Fat acceptance isn't inherently a bad thing, everyone likes to have a confidence boost. It becomes a problem when you neglect your health. It's like saying "I'm fine with being on fire" they're just taking a problem and ignoring it. Losing weight is very hard, I've been through it. It's easy to give up and rationalize ways to stay how you are. But if you're okay with all the health risks you'll incur when you grow older, then by all means, skip the cardio.
    I would probably still be a fattie if I didn't go push carts for Walmart for 2 years. From there, I got in good enough shape to start jogging, and I love it.

• I can agree that the movement encourages a lot of unhealthy behaviour. However at the end of the day how people live is none of my business and let's be honest most of the time it's just for physical attraction, a lot of people don't give a shit about an overweight person and would rather just insult the person for not fitting their body standards. I have a friend is overweight and trying to work out but he was born with a heart condition, so he has to be careful not to over do it, being too active can also be dangerous. Do i encourage people to workout for themselves? Absolutely. Will throw insults at a person for not being fit or in shape? No i won't.

• if you don't want to better yourself and your health that's fine but pay for your own health care and don't tell others it's ok to be unhealthy.

• What I am tired of is the health nuts trying to force their way on other people. If you want to eat weeds and spend your life at the gym, more power to you. But don't force your way on me. If I had to "eat healthy" every meal I would absolutely hate life. If I was that miserable all the time, why bother living.

• 5d

You don't have to eat healthy every meal. I eat healthy most meals, but not every. And I'm not forcing this on you, either. Just trying to advice you lol. The main reason that you think this is exhausted and pointless is because you have no motivation, and no one to actually give you some.

• 5d

I'm currently friends with this guys for a couple of months now. he's a gamer (so you can already imagined lol) he loves playing video games all day on weekend, and usually jumps right into gaming after school. He used to say that excercising and eating right is pointless because it is exhausted and also told me :"If you want to eat weeds and spend your life at the gym, more power to you. But don't force your way on me. If I had to "eat healthy" every meal I would absolutely hate life. If I was that miserable all the time, why bother living." (similar to what you just said).
      But after a few months being friends with me, he actually tries to eat healthier and excercise. The guy has asthma, is overweight and also very unfit so pushing himself with excercises is hard. But the good thing is that he tries, and I'm the good influence although i swear that i didn't force him to do this.

• The concept of "body love" doesn't enable people to be unhealthy, but rather keeps them from feeling like they are inferior to judgmental people. The idea that their body-type doesn't define them reduces social stressors and helps to alleviate (other) real health problems such as depression and suicide. Body love probably saves more lives than you've considered.

• How are people going to get healthy if they don't have the confidence in themselves to do so? You can't improve if you see yourself as unworthy of improvement. If anything, being confident about who you are today drives you to push for more tomorrow.

• It needs to exist in moderation. Height, eye color, and a variety of other topics should just not be shamed. Exercise should be encouraged, but fat people shouldn't be shamed. Body positive is not the answer, but neither is body shaming. The answer is exercise positive.

• being thin dont makes you healthy, being fat makes you not automaticly unhealthy...

I would only date the B and D ladys because for me they look beautifull, but hey why should everyone love the same things, would only produce jealous people...

and kid, stop judge other people with your 18 years... you still dont know enough too judge people at their bodyshape

• 6d

@DamnSam
      ". . . being fat makes you not automaticly (sic) unhealthy."
      You should have a conversation with someone who has a medical degree, especially a cardiologist, endocrinologist, hepatologist, or rheumatologist.
      Being fat is catastrophic for one's health, in various ways.
      The land whales lie to themselves in the same way that smokers and stoners lie to themselves. Their self delusion does not change the reality.

• 6d

hey old man, a new generation is now in charge... and I had a discuss with someone from a medical sector...

• Im just really comfortable with what i have, but i still want more. But i really really love lifting. Picking up heavy weights and getting stronger makes me feel better than anything.

• Im not against bodylove and crap like that but i get mad if these (mostly insecure) people say that their are better or even healthier than those who workout and even try to convert others. No bitch. Love yourself cool. But dont tell me shit like "god made me this way". No. Burgers made you this way. Plus i really hate it when they clearly show hatred towards fit people, especially fit chicks. Bodylove my ass. Insecurelove.

• No, I don't.
    I think a lack of reasons for being fit is.
    I mean a person can take care of their family by sitting in front of a computer.
    In the end, that's what's important.

• You have a point. People should take care of their bodies in terms of how much suger they consume and exercise on the regular. But I personally believe a chubby woman is cute too. I like meat on the bones unless is too excessive.

• "Body positive" is about obese women trying to proclaim to the world they are sexy and desirable... which doesn't work. They'll get other fat women and loser men to agree, but real men decide what's attractive or not. Being obese isn't, and never will be. Unless you're a black guy, apparently.

• 6d

I agree some obese women and even men are lazy so they come up with some other way to become attractive , that doesn't work and it ain't healthy either

• Laziness, not body positivity is probably the number one thing that gets in the way of people being fit and healthy. People are too lazy to exercise and/or too lazy to buy and prepare healthy foods. Of course, you have an excuse to be lazy during your time off if you are working 3 jobs just to get by.

• 5d

With that said, some people were never meant to be built like an Olympic athlete. There are people who are genetically programmed to carry a little extra weight on their bodies no matter how much they exercise or eat healthy foods. These people should be able to accept themselves the way they are and be happy that they have done everything they can to create the best possible version of themselves.

• 5d

but body positivity endorses laziness because you are encouraged to not apply yourself since "you are beautiful the way you are." So why not just keep downing Doritos on your couch if theyre making you "beautiful."? why exercise if you're just as fine being lazy? lol.

• Yea your right. being fat isn't beautiful and it hurts your health. it makes you lazy and you feel horrible. Do something about it I like it !

• As a personal trainer (fitness and self defense, 18 years of exp) I HIGHLY agree with this. I'm all for body positivity in regards to feeling good about yourself along the journey but to say "big is beautiful" or similar sentiments flies in blatant disregard to everything that has come to light in terms of health and nutrition in recent years. Frankly, this is a disturbing trend at best. Some people are legitimately shaped different than the average inaccurate fitness and super models and in that sense, body positivity is excellent. You don't have to have certain measurement to be healthy, but being over a certain BMI for extended periods of time leads to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. If someone can explain how those things are attractive, then maybe I'll change my mind. Being truly body positive means taking care of that body. "If you like a flower, you pick it. If you loves flower, you water it." - Osho

• 6d

I agree with that. Being confident with your self image is another step to a healthy mindset, but if you're confident in being overweight then there's an obvious problem.

• 6d

Exactly. And supporting people for being overweight just so that they feel better is like loving them into an early grave. You wouldn't coddle a drug addict, so why would you do it with junk food? If you truly love and support someone, you should want them to be healthy. That does not necessarily mean they have to become stick skinny, but it does mean avoiding obesity.

• acceptance of the stuff you can't change is fine, but fat acceptance just makes people want to get fatter.

• I think there's a middle ground somewhere. Yeah, we definitely incentivize people to be healthy and being fit is part of that.

But on the other hand, shame people because of their bodies is not good either.

• I have psoraisis, I cannot help it. Some people have burn scars, or missing limbs. That is what body positive should mean.

• If you wanna be fit fine. Don't wanna be fit? fine. Choose your path but don't knock others for what they choose.

• Let them beleive what they want. To be honest aslong as it doesn't effect anyone else why should anyone even care?

• Body positivity as an excuse for not being fit and healthy.

• More from Guys
    57

What Girls Said 87

• No. I am body positive. I am fat, yes. I love my body, yes. I think I am beautiful, yes. None of these things mean I am not taking care of myself. In fact if it weren't for body positivity, and people being kind, supportive, and understanding, I would be even worse off. A huge reason I started getting help for my binge eating disorder, and am exercising more is because I am no longer ashamed of my body or myself. Body positivity has also allowed me to have a positive relaitonship with food and exercise that I did not have before. Even when I was very skinny, I hated my body, and it's why I started getting bigger. Since joining body positive communities, and making friends with non-judgemental people who love themselves no matter what, and have taught me to love myself no matter what, I have been happier, exercised more, have not relapsed in 8 months, and feel more confident in myself.

• 6d

A massive part of body positivity is about loving your body no matter what, instead of hating it, and feeling ugly, and teaches us that if we truly feel we need to change, lose weight, that we should do those things for OURSELVES, and not other people. Body positivity teaches you to love your body, not hate it, even during the weeks were you struggle to exercise, or overeat, or feel downright disgusting. Because you are still worthy, still loved, still beautiful even in your struggles. Body positivity is not about staying fat, being fat, it's about... loving yourself even if you are fat, and it has been shown that once people no longer view themselves as ugly and gross, they are happier, more active, less depressed, and start to do healthier things. Thinking of themselves as disgusting for many people ends up having a depressing effect, that keeps them from exercising or eating right. A great deal of the body positive community helps each other develop a positive and

• 6d

healthy relationship with food and exercise. No one who is serious in the body positive community is telling people to get fat, or stay fat, or eat 30 burgers. We are happy when someone who needs help for an eating disorder, or weight related issue gets the help they need. We are supportive of those working to get healthy. We are sympathetic for those who are really struggling to exercise or eat right, sometimes because of their financial state or illness. But we recognize that calling someone ugly, someone hating themselves, and yelling at people isn't going to make them want to not be fat. You can't not be fat overnight. Loving yourself before, during, and after your journey is far more effective. Some people's journey's are simply longer, and different than other people's.

• The simplistic meaning behind the body positivity movement gets overlooked time and time again. People say it promotes and glorifies obesity and laziness but at the end of the day it's about self love. I think a lot of people forget about the mental aspect of what it means to be healthy. If someone doesn't love themselves, what makes you think that they're going to care about getting healthy?

With the body positive movement, it's letting people know that "hey, it IS ok to love yourself no matter what body you're in". You can't expect a person to see and want to make changes to their body and in their health when they're full of hate towards themselves.

It's letting people know that it's ok to love themselves throughout their journey, and not just when they reach the finish line.

• No more then people telling you have to be thin as a rail to be attractive, there is this little thing called moderation but nobody seems to know what it is.

Truth be told I think it's nice that they have messages like that because not everybody has any easy time losing weight (or even gained it because of over eating), so it's nice to have a message like that because then when you see all those rail thin models and realize that's not realistic for you, at least you'll know you'll still be accepted. I think it's a good thing.

• No. Body positivity is a way for people to feel comfortable with their body as they get to their goal. Changing your body takes time and it won't happen over night, if you feel shit you will treat yourself like shit, for example, not taking care of your body. Body positivity prevents eating disorders and body abuse in general. If you feel good about yourself you will treat yourself better.

• I agree with you. 100%

This notion of "healthy at every size" is nonsense. What does it mean?
    It means this:
    www.basicknowledge101.com/.../womeninsports3.jpg
    All these women are different sizes. All of them are healthy because of their height, weight, muscle mass, and lifestyles. Yes, even the larger woman at the bottom there - she does Olympic weight lifting. She's strong af.

What the SJWs have taken it to mean:
    i.ytimg.com/vi/YrWMitkz7J4/maxresdefault.jpg

I support accepting where you are in your fitness journey, but I don't accept allowing that point to be your final point. Your body is always a work in progress. Your body is a machine to get you through life. Why on earth wouldn't you want to feed it properly and exercise to be healthy and give your life some longevity? Healthy people don't starve themselves. They don't deny themselves delicious food. They just balance it out in a way that works for their goals.

*Fun fact: In an attempt to not look biased, I did look for the opposite side of the spectrum and try to find a "HAES Skinny" person because that's their claim, right? That no one should change their look? Well there's not anything. This is purely a fat acceptance movement with no concern about those who suffer from anorexia or anything on the opposite side of the spectrum.

• People who whine about fat acceptance are usually just pissed that someone is managing to love themselves without fitting preconceived notions of beauty.

This isn't as black and white as "just stop eating junkfood and exercise", and there are tons of other factors that make people unhealthy. Do you say this shit to bodybuilders? Smokers? Skinny people who eat junk food all the time? Yo-yo dieters? Drinkers? People who participate in high contact sports like football or boxing?

Or do you only pretend to be a doctor when a fat person has to audacity to not think they're beneath you?

• 6d

I'm pretty sure all she's saying is we shouldn't accept any sort of unhealthy as "beautiful". it's easier to call out the fat acceptance movement rather than body builders or skinny people eating junk food or any of the others that you listed because there literally isn't a movement dedicated to accepting that sort of unhealthy lifestyle.

• 5d

@diamondcrocodile correct, its still none of your business

• 5d

Thank you for wording better than I could have.

• I think the body positive movement is highly misunderstood and labeled by people. It is not about glorifying obesity or unhealthy lifestyles, but rather about acceptance of one's natural body composition. By this I mean the things that cannot be changed by healthy diet/excercise, such as someone's genetic build or body composition. There are different body types that are categorized beyond the scale. You can diet all you want, but it won't change the genetic structure of something like the width of your hips if you're an endomorph. I've seen many people work out very hard at my gym and diet right, however due to their build some people may still assume that they're a little overweight because they have a broad chest or thick legs. An example, take a look at Serena Williams, she's a top athlete who likely diets super healthy for competition, but she's probably not gonna look like Anne Hathaway because her body type is very different. Vice versa, some thin people really keep at it trying to build muscle, but their metabolic rate is so fast they can't seem to put on muscle mass no matter how hard they try.

Of course there is a fine line between being obese and being heavy built. Unfortunately, some people who are overweight skew the perspective of the body positive movement and make it into something that labels it as fat acceptance. The way I see it, for those who really understand it, body positivity is not fat acceptance, but rather encouragement to love the parts of your body that social culture can assume is flawed, such as your bone structure or facial shape. These things we cannot change without the aid of plastic surgery.

• I agree. I'm all for loving yourself and feeling comfortable in your own skin, but since when did eating yourself to an early death or chronic illness and not meeting your body's daily requirements for physical activity be considered "self love"?

• I'm 322 pounds. I carry it very well, I have a beautiful face but that's not gonna stop me from being physically exhausted all the time, back pains, and straight up unhappy with my body. it's ok to be unhappy with your body that just means you were meant for better. I wish more people would understand just because I'm unhappy with my body doesn't mean I have low self esteem. I am awesome. it's just that it's so hard for me to lose weight because of several factors. I take medicine and I've had two kids. bad environmental depression. (not happy with the state I live in) I'm a smoker.
    but good news is I am starting to work out at a mini gym in the place I go to twice a week during the day. I'm fucking tired of being big. being big is physically exhausting and taking care of a 3 year old everyday is physically demanding. time to lose the fat damnit!!

• 6d

I wish you the best of luck with your goals!

• 6d

thank you ladies 😃

• 6d

good for you:)) I encourage those types of act:))

• we never know the circumstances and reasons for people's body fat... my baby's sister have cancer and doctor gave her cortisone injections which grew the fat on her body... in some people's body is minus specific vitamins that grow fat. However most of the people eat too much junk food and family won't mind it.
    They should be educated and guided to healthy way but hating your body because it's have extra pound are wrong too. Whatever shape you are you should love your body as it is. There's many women out there who's beautiful with extra pounds and model agency opened for women like it and they're happy and as long as you're happy it's more important

• See, if you're going to say that, then you need to acknoweldge that "fitspo" and especially "thinspo" are just as (if not moreso) detrimental to ones health. Our society has a rather skewed notion of what a "healthy" body should look like. There are folks who are quite active and still have significant fat deposits, just as there are those who are relatively sedentary and remain thin. Also, it should be noted that not everyone is physically able to "workout" and there are folks who literally don't have the resources (i. e time and money). My point is, someone's body isn't really the business of others and shouldn't be speculated about. Mind yours, let everyone else be. If they're happy, what's the issue?

• It's not really a thing where I live.
    But i think unhealthy people shouldn't be encouraged on being unhealthy but they shouldn't be bullied either.
    A decend middle ground that pushes them to better themselves without beating them up and depressing them even more.

• body positivity isn't fat acceptance~ it's simply not hating your body because it's not perfect.

diet and exercise only work (as a means of weight loss) for people with normal, healthy bodies. i eat well and (until i broke my leg back in february) exercised regularly, but my thyroid issues make weight loss frustratingly difficult.

still, you'll never hear me argue against physical activity~ even if it doesn't work for me as a means of weight loss, there are tons of other benefits. but you should be taking care of your body because you love it, not because you hate it.

do i love my body? no. love is too strong a word. but i like it; i've learned to appreciate what it can do, accepted that it's the only one i have and that i won't get another.

we're taught that only one body type is worthy of love, but my broken thyroid is no different from my broken leg, in that neither makes me less deserving of (self) love.

• 5d

Finally someone who is down to Earth. Thank God

• 5d

I have tiroid issues too. Its not a good feeling so body positivity its one of the most important things.

• 5d

@Batman_Girlfriend i agree~ i wasn't diagnosed until much later on, since i didn't have a family doctor for many years (there's a serious shortage where i live), but the signs were there when i was your age as well.

usually a family history (like mine) or another autoimmune condition is to blame, though there are other causes too. i wrote a take about it, so feel free to have a look if you're interested.

• I agree to a certain extent. There are a lot of people who try to eat healthy and lose weight, and just aren't able to. The idea of body positivity isn't to push people to just keep eating unhealthily, it's so that you can feel comfortable in your own skin. Low self esteem isn't good for you either, and can be just as damaging if not more to your health. So yes, while we shouldn't be encouraging people to eat unhealthy, we also shouldn't be judging someone about themselves that might be a very difficult fix (sometimes it's genetically predetermined too).

• In the more extreme cases yes but in general no. Originally the body posivity movement was about accepting and loving yourself at whatever size you were, considering that hating yourself doesn't get you anywhere fast. However I do agree that there is an extreme side of it where people do deny their issues and refuse to acknowledge their health as a way of fighting conformity.

• Because only fat people are unhealthy right? It's not like people who are naturally thin can be unhealthy too or anything... I think people need to stop focusing on other people's bodies so much. It doesn't concern you what others do. There's also loads of health reasons why people can be over weight (obviously not ALL but plenty of people do have health issues that cause the weight or prevent them from losing it). And being a bit overweight isn't the worst thing in the world. Why should everyone hate themselves and their bodies because they don't fit into your body standards? What about Ashley Graham? Who's thick as fuck but healthy and celebrated? Fat people know their fat. They're aware. They don't need you to constantly point it out. Stop trying to control other people's lives.

• 6d

Curvy can mean fat!

• 5d

*themselves

• 5d

'You'll get hideous' sounds exactly like throwing hate to me.

• The two don't have much to do with each other. People who want to work out and eat right or lose weight will, and people who don't want to do that stuff won't. All body positivity does is tells people that their lack of interest in eating right/working out/losing weight is okay and that they should not be shamed for how they look.

I don't really think body positivity has ever made anyone making a good-faith effort to work out up and leave the gym nor has it made someone who really wanted to eat better stop and go back to junk food. There were tons of big people and unhealthy people before the body positivity movement, and if that movement ended the numbers of big people and unhealthy people still would continue to grow.

• 6d

I disagree. I hated myself and everyone told me to because I was 200 lbs. I became exremely depressed and hated everything about myself. I would pass by mirrors and barely stop myself from crying. I got more depressed and I ate more which in turn made me more depressed. I thought because I was fat I didn't deserve the effort it took to do better. I thought I was stuck that way. When I finally accepted that I was still a good person and I shouldn't be ashamed of who I was, I was finally able to do something. I believed in myself as a person and decided I deserved to be treated better and to treat myself better. I started exercising and eating better and I've lost 40 lbs.

• Strongly disagree. It's not holding anyone back.
    It's just about being confident in your body. And it's not only for people who are massively overweight but also for people who are at perfectly normal weight and are still incredibly insecure because they don't have a tiny waist, or because they have cellulite, wide hips, wide shoulders, small boobs...

It seems to me that a lot of people who think we should get rid of body positivity think women should be ashamed for how they look, and in fact if we just shame them enough they will eventually look like supermodels. Like that's gonna work

• To be honest nowadays everything encourages people not to be healthy... people keep pushing on exercise whereas there are scientific facts proving that exercise only accounts for about 15% of burning fat... the majority of obesity is due to bad diet. Obviously 'Western' countries suffer a lot more from this, because we have readily processed food widely available EVERYWHERE (petrol stations, kiosks etc.) and have the money to afford these. People who are less well off tend to eat healthier, as they get food from markets and locally sourced and thus don't tend to gain weight as much. This whole gym and fitness things are just BS on the whole... of course it's an easier wain to gain muscle weight, but also easier to get injuries from cardio exercises that don't benefit the body in the slightest if the diet isn't right.

• No, honestly I don't think body positivity has anything to do with the obesity epidemic. Food is everywhere, and most people's jobs require them to be sedentary. That's a recipe for weight gain. Most people who are overweight want to lose weight, but it's just too difficult for many due to genetics and lifestyle factors.
    That being said, I have mixed feelings on the body positivity movement. I don't think it's good to celebrate unhealthy body weights, but I also see no value in fat-shaming. in my opinion, a person's weight is between them and their doctor. It's not our place to comment, and it annoys me when I see people make mean comments and then use "I'm just concerned about their health" as an excuse. Like yeah, sure that's why.

• I think that mental health is just as important as physical health. I've heard stories of models who obsessed over their weight and were a size 0, but gained weight after exiting the industry (even up to size 16) and reported that they're much happier.

In any case, I feel that how people treat their bodies is up to them. And no matter what they look like, it's important to treat them with kindness and dignity.

• I don't know the whole body positivity thing actually makes me turned off more where I don't wanna be fat even more. It makes me view fat/overweight in a more negative light.

• I am all for loving the body you have enough to work on it. If you are fat, then you should make changes in your life to be healthier.
    The new plus size revolution doesn't help. I think its great that bigger people have more options as far as clothing and other things of that nature, but that should only be motivation to get healthy. Not remain fat and unhealthy.

• I don't think people are obligated to be fit, as long as they aren't having major health issues as a result of being fat, then their bodies doesn't really concern me.

• You are delusion seriously. In some cultures fat is considered beautiful actually, just cause you are fat doesn't mean you are unhealthy... but you won't know this cause your brain is to small. Stop being on GAG. Start reading books...
    - skinny girl.

• Shaming people is a disgusting practice. People should be free live their lives without CONSTANT ridicule. Body positivity is to empower women to take control over their bodies and how they feel most comfortable. It is the business of NO ONE else to tell ANYONE how to look. STFU and mind your own body. And NO I am NOT a bitter "fat" girl. I am a perfectly normal sized woman who just wants humans to be kinder to one another.

• I believe accepting yourself and all flaws is key to changing for the better. I believe we should root for healthy lifestyles for ALL body types and not just fat people only because it's visible for them. Lack of confidence, and shaming someone is what prevents people from being happy, improving, and overcoming fears, so damn right I support it. The movement is constantly misunderstood by people.

This is my perspective:

It's a such a double standard when you think about long enough. I'm an unhealthy skinny person. Nobody would ever tell a skinny person they can't wear makeup to feel confident, walk the runway, or wear clothes that fit and are, god forbid, stylish for confidence boost because they have high cholesterol, isn't that ridiculous?

Just because I'm pre-diabetic, have high blood pressure, and cholesterol, doesn't mean I can't look pretty, or appreciate my sense of style. I am exercising and getting over my food addiction. But you don't see that. And for some reason, fat women are being attacked for just that. Just because you don't see them sweating, exercising, and eating healthy when they put on make up, pose in a mirror, and walk down a runway does not mean, they are sitting on their ass! You HAVE NO CLUE what they are doing in their daily life. Just like you have no clue what I'm doing in mine.

If you are not confident in yourself as you are, how do you expect to move up from where you are?

• 6d

We need to curve the focus of being healthy from aesthetics due to shallow mindsets, back towards what MAINLY matters: eating whole foods, growing your own foods, cooking, and exercising daily.

• I am just going to base this off the little information your profile picture is giving, which is an attractive, probably average weight girl for your height. Now I am just going to tell you to sit down, eat some sunchips, and hear me out: THEIR WEIGHT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM.
    I completely agree that telling people to live like up like "My 600 pound life" is not healthy. But at the same time, looking at someone bigger than you and coming to the conclusion that they are living an unhealthy lifestyle is also not healthy. Do you know how many big vegans I know? Or how many girls, bigger than me that can rock the fuck out of a dance routine and do yoga? the point of body positivity is to empower that all bodies are beautiful and ones own.

• 6d

Lol it doesn't matter if you're heavy and big. Your lifestyle, the shape of your body and your body fat percentage are what matter

• 5d

Not sure if you get what I am trying to say. Big people are sometimes healthy. They sometimes are eating right and do exercise. And how can one really tell just by seeing them walk down the street?

• 5d

we can't. And i don't shame on other people or immediately judge them right after. What i'm trying to say is that this whole body positive trend is currently leading us the wrong way, making us "accept" ourselves in the wrong way and refuse to be healthy or at least try to change for a better version of ourselves

• They have to care in order to make their lives better. Besides people need proper weight loss advice not some bullshit like eating disorders, weight loss scams etc.

• The irony here is that many really overweight people tend to be that way due to self loathing anyway. For those saying they shouldn't be encouraged to feel good about themselves regardless of their weight you do understand once they do, they will actually start to treat themselves better right?

• More from Girls
    57