Do you consider hoarding a mental illness?

If you don't know what hoarding is here is an example

link

Do you think people who hoard actually have a mental illness? I personally think they are just too lazy to clean up

• Yes its an illness
  • Its called being lazy

Most Helpful Girl

• I watch that show about Hoarders and sometimes I have a hard time believing that it's more about mental illness and less about being a nasty ass pig.

Most of those people I feel are disgusting and need someone to call them out on their laziness. I think they're just lazy and disgusting for the most part and we've another case of someone making excuses for the lazy

What Guys Said 7

• I lean towards yes, but as with mental illness in general, there are no fine lines. Some could consider collecting a form of hoarding.

• It's relative, but for some it is definitely a mental illness. In high school a friend's mom was one of those for whom it is an illness. Their house was stacked floor to ceiling with stuff...every room, including the hallways. The only relatively clear areas were narrow pathways through which you could walk. Not pretty.

• I hoard precious metals. I don't think I'm ill! but it is neatly stored lol

• I have hoarding tendencies but my sh*t is pretty organized

• Hell yeah, have you seen those people on that TV show, they're f***ing insane.

• most of them I think as lazy as hell. Like you seriously can't clean up the sh*t you just took on the floor lol

• Yeah but I think if they were just lazy, they wouldn't mind other people moving their stuff for them. For some reason, those people have trouble letting go of certain things and if you watch enough of those shows, you start to realize that a lot of hoarders get that way because they suffer some kind of loss or they experience some traumatic event.

More from Guys
2

What Girls Said 19

• Yes because you have to be ill to live like that

• It's a form of OCD

• Some of those people on Hoarders are seriously mental, they have disorders, sometimes more than one, other times it's coupled with a physical disorder.

There is always a trigger that causes it, so in my case it's more likely than not a mental illness that causes hoarding.

• yes. it's usually not about cleaning up,as much as it is an issue with keeping and getting more things.

• I don't think that it hoarding has to do with being lazy at all. I mean, it also depends on how much "hoarding" you're doing... I think hoarding is a mental illness because it's an obsession with holding on to stuff that you really don't need. It's kind of like obsessive cleaning... but it's not. That's what I think.

A lot of people who hoard things get really upset when you try and like clean out their stuff or start to remove it from the area that they have it all in. If they were really lazy, I don't think they would be so emotionally attached and get upset when you tried to get rid of it.

More from Girls
14