So my house was invaded the other day...

by a stray cat...

my front door is messed up, and unless you lock it it doesn't stay shut. well my boyfriend left the other day and didn't lock it. I ended up getting a call from my mom, who saw the door open when she drove by. apparently it had been hanging open for like an hour. she managed to get it shut by wedging something under it.

so the next day my 4 year old tells me about the black cat in the hall. she's got a pretty good imagination so I just brushed it off. she insisted, so I ended up looking for it a couple times with no evidence. and our house cat was acting normal.

2 days later my boyfriend was here and we both heard a cat meow from the hall. it was just us, and my cat was beside me. we looked again and found it. we tried to chase it out, but it somehow managed to crawl under my bathroom sink. I thought it was curled up behind the water heater, but then realized it had access to underneath my tub too.

so we tried to get it out for like 2 days. and it refused. we had no way of getting it. it would come out if we left the cabinet open, but shoot right back in if we even breathed from another room.

yesterday we decided to hunt it down. and looked all over for it. there's no evidence that its still here. I even put down baby powder to see if it was under the sink (paw prints).

problem is, either he sprayed or my cat did. and now my house smells horrid. does anyone know how to get it out. we've been lysol and febreezing every couple hours. I put down baking soda and tomorrow I'm moving all the furniture out of my bedroom and cleaning the carpets in there really good. but if it was the other cat, and it sprayed where I physically can't get too...what can I do?

I'm seriously contemplating moving at this point. any advice would help!

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

Be the first girl to share opinion!

Earn 1 extra Xper Point for being the first!!

• Selected as most helpful

This probably goes without saying but I’m going to say it anyway. Don’t feed them. Look around your neighborhood and make sure none of your neighbors are feeding them. Remove any obvious sources of food and secure all outside waste containers.

Seal up any spaces that a feral cat may see as an attractive ‘nesting’ area. Some of their favorite places to make homes are underneath decks, sheds, foundations, and barns.

Contact your local animal control center and have them catch and remove the feline from your property.

Purchase a trap and capture the cat yourself. You can then drop it off at a shelter or release it far (at least 10 miles) away from your home. Be VERY careful when dealing with a trapped feral cat as they can be VERY nasty! Please also note that releasing the cat elsewhere will not solve the problem - only move it...

Extract the oil of a few dozen of the hottest peppers you can find (or use pepper spray), and apply it liberally to the areas that the cats frequent the most. The idea is to let the cats come into contact with the spicy formula so when they go to groom themselves they will get a spicy surprise. After a few tastes they will begin to stay away – this may need to be repeated often before the results are lasting.

Get a dog large enough to discourage any cats from venturing near your property. If you go this route, make sure you get the pooch immunized just in case he gets into a fight!

• i have asshat neighbors that leave their porch open for strays. so we have them literally all over the neighbor hood. its just the smell that I can't handle

• keep your cat locked in a separate room, then put a can of tuna fish out loaded with rat poison. Within a few days you'll smell the rotting carcass, then put the dead cat on your bosses front door step with a note asking for a raise or else.

• ha! this would be amazing. except its under my bathtub with no way to reach it, I have no doors inside my place, and I'm not sure what state my bosses live in since I work at home.

• Which one? Was it Brian Setzer?

• as far as cleaning you should go to a pet store. I'm not sure what the product is but my dad and his girlfriend have a bunch of cats and there is some product cleaner that will get rid of the cat piss smell

Good luck! Cat piss is one of the most putrid odors in the world