Can you marry someone you don't love?

Can you marry someone you simply like - but are not >In Love< with?

This question has a poll!

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 16

What Guys Said 19

• Marriage is about love and hate, being able to overcome and appreciate each-other, support, and tolerate each-other :) That is what I have learned from my adult friends' examples.

• It's easy to get married and yes you can marry someone you just like, but marriage is easy to get into and costs a lot to get out of. I would wait until you can find that special someone that makes you happy that you can honestly say you love and couldn't live another day without them by your side.

• Then why marry? If you don't marry for love, you have cheating, abuse, kids that don't know what happy, loving parents are or divorce. Then you get screwed in divorce.

If you marry for anything than love, it is desperation and you are wasting your life on someone that is not meant for you.

you are taking the option of finding your real match and the guy his real match.

• What kinda question is that. I'd definately say no and I don't see the point of gettin married, why don't you just stay boyfriend + gf.

• Well, I think I would definitely know,m...I had some guy ask for my hand in marriage a little while ago,...I don't know him too well, we don't talk to much, and I have no fuzzy feelings for him what so ever,...I do not even like him as a friend. I think one should be able to have romantic love thoughts about someone before getting married,.that is why I told this guy hell no.

• hell no!

• isn't a wedding a ceremony celebrating the love between two people? I know a lot of people get married without being in love, but it's not something I would ever do.

• I agree with the first answer: Love Takes Time!

• nope I wouldn't be happy

• why would you want to being in love is one of the most amazing feeling ever

• you COULD but why would u? it would never work out.

• Can I? yes. Would I? no

• I don't even want to get married let alone to someone I'm not in love with

• umm.. If you want to be unhappy or looking for a green card, lol

• Are you saying it's possible or if I myself would?

Well. If you're talking if it's possible, yes. A marriage is actually a form of business- which is how it was used between families to create alliances, and combine power. Of course, in many cases it is love but it was originally a form of business. :1 Something along those lines...

Would I marry without love? I'm not big on marriage, outside of the circle about marriage. I do not think about it, and I don't have a very elongated or important opinion on it. :1

• Oh, I'm not against it, I just don't think about it a lot, so. xD I'm more of a recluse and can't imagine myself in even a relationship, much less a long term or marriage. But I guess if it happens, it happens. =1

• What about having a long time partner? Are you against permanent relationships? or simply the institution of marriage?

• of course not. I need someone who I love deeply and just the opposite for them. if I only like them, that can fade a way.

yes there's a chance of love fading a way too, but a less likely one

• Selected as most helpful

You CAN... But why would you want to? Oh sure money, wealth, fame, power, yes these are all answers that one can give. All poor ones. You know that you can get things from it but frankly all those things generally end up with people very much unhappy unless they're brainless materialistic and shallow. But even then you'll just end up wanting more. People who marry for these reasons often end up cheating possibly divorcing (occasionally killing). Nothing good really comes from it. Arranged marriages aren't better. I honestly think it could be worse, but only because it's not even the people getting married gaining from it, it's other people, their families usually. (I'll respect it but I don't gotta like it).

I for one wouldn't marry a girl if I don't love her. I wouldn't want to. I know I wouldn't be happy, and really when you're in a relationship with somebody you don't love, your general feeling when things go bad is "I don't have to take your shit" or at least mine is. Really though when I get enough of that I just say to heck with the relationship and break it off. So for obvious reasons I can not stay in a loveless marriage. That's why I wouldn't marry somebody I didn't love.

Can YOU marry somebody you don't love? You CAN, but why would you want to?

Can I marry somebody I don't love? Sure I could if I really tried but I know I never would.

There's my thoughts on it.

• I'm checking back on a lot of my old answers like I usually do. I wanted to do a follow up to see if what I told you was at all helpful to you. So did my advice help?

• i'd rather not marry than marrying someone I really don't love...neverrrr

• my brother did that twice... snfh...

• Nope!

• well I could... I mean like... if someone has the characteristics that I like, even if there is no sorta 'i want you' factor, as long as we are really good friends.. why not..?

• Having one ingredient isn't the key to making something work. You have to have it all.

Love

Respect

Honesty

Communication

Physical attraction

etc.

• i think it's just depends upon various factors. Specially for ur family 's concern. and you can love that person to whom you are gonna get married. People come and people go, that's all about life. But yeah, if you are in love with someone then you should try to work it out. it depends that what kind of situation you are in.

• Yeah it happens all the time. Watch the real housewives.

• As in everything in life , there is never an absolutely negative or positive answer . or there is nothing that has only two ways of expression , or two variables . However , to answer to the question , I would say no . Marriage out of love has not yet been an integral part of many cultures , at least not to the point that the aversion for monarchy has , but still , I would never marry out of need or any other reason short of love

• of course...it used to happen all the time...there are many reasons for marriage.

the question is why should you marry.

Should you marry without love...well if you were dirt poor and she was hot and rich your gonna tell me no? I don't know but this question isn't just a yes or no answer solves all :)

• Btw all those people saying marry only for love...well srry so many people today think their in love when they get married and their marriages fail just as much....everything is a choice...love isn't some cure all that will keep you together.

• If she looked as sweet as you, yes. We could have a wonderful courtship and wild honeymoon. After a year we could always divorce with many sweet memories.

• it is possible and a lot of people do it more often that what you think...or else why do you think at more than 40% of marriages end up braking up?. Most people that don't marry out of love, marry out of convenience, no I am not talking about arranged marriages, I am talking about things like: Money, social status, material things, or even just out of the convenience of somebody to have around and to have sex with.

• love comes with time,

• Well, Mii-Mii, I guess right here :D thanx

audrey: ya sure, not every relationship is going to convert into love,, but time is an imp aspect.

Toban: I understand, I would do it though. :D

• Sure love comes with time, but I wouldn't marry somebody until I was in love with them.

• Love takes time, but time doesn't equal love.

• Show Older
  • sure you can marry them but you won't be happy you need to love them and have loved them for a while. and then you also have to keep that flame alive and figure a way to keep loving them and have them keep loving you

• arranged marriages

• Marry ? No. I cannot even have sex with someone who I don't love. Believe it or not.

• it happens all the time

marry for money, arranged marriage, celebrity faces...

i would never do that personally tho.

• yes you CAN, wether or not you should is another question, if there is no love the relationship it won't last , and both of you will end up miserable in the long run,save yourself the trouble and revaluate what the person really mean to you and how you feel about them.

• of course you can but its unlikely to work out.