What would you do if after getting married, your spouse switched to a different religion?

I just finished reading a book called "Rome Sweet Home". It was co-written by a man who was raised without any religious upbringing, but eventually found his way into the Presbyterian Church and married a girl who came from a whole family of Presbyterian ministers. Both were "militantly anti-Catholic".

Through years of prayer and study though, he eventually became convinced that he belonged in the Catholic Church. His conversion brought such serious strains on their marriage to the point that she even confessed hoping she would die because that would have been her, if you will, "only way out" because she does not believe in divorce. She converted several years later.

If you and your spouse were committed to a certain set of religious beliefs (or lack of same), but they decided they wanted to convert to something else, how would you handle it?

Most Helpful Guy

• My spouse can believe in whatever she wants to believe in. To me it's someone's actions not their beliefs that determine the type of person they really are. I'm not religious so I guess it doesn't matter as much to me as it would to others but I still can't imagine me rejecting someone for following a different belief system if they are the same great person I married. It just seems unreasonable to me but what do I know? Maybe I'm crazy ;)

• Thanks for MH. I wish more people answered this question.

• Yeah, I'm kind of bummed and surprised that more people didn't :-/

• Me too.. It would have been interesting to see different perspectives on the matter. The idea could be quite frightening to many people though..

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 1

• It gets even trickier when there are children involved.

In all honesty, it wouldn't really bother me. I already think that the beliefs I hold are correct, otherwise I wouldn't believe them. Thus I already think that everyone who sees things differently is wrong (if they were right, they would think the same way I do).

What I'm saying is, to each their own.

I'm not religious by the way. If someone chooses to be, I may think they're wrong, but they're still a person.