Do you want to get married in the future?

Do you ever plan on getting married? If so, at what age would be ideal for YOU to get married and/or start a family? Also, how long would you have to date someone for marriage to be an option?

• Yes, I want to get married at some point.
  • No, I would rather stay single or just be in a long term relationship without the "married" label.
  • I am already married
  • Other/See results

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm getting married in September so I guess than answers the question

I think my ideal age would've been a few years ago like 28or29 but I also was fine with not getting married until I felt like I'd found that person and I didn't put pressure on myself to feel a need to get married by a certain age.

I didn't like to put too much of a concrete timetable on when was enough time into a relationship to get married but I had sorta a soft schedule of at least two years into the relationship. this came purely out of two failed relationship where things went really bad right before two years...but if I had met someone and felt like after a year I was ready for marriage I would consider it

• Oh yeah, I forgot you were engaged! How is the wedding planning going? :)

• Thanks Ashbrown... and thanks for most helpful

• No problem:)

What Guys Said 38

• Yes, I really would like to. I find the notions of mutual belonging to be very romantic and sensual, in a way.

And while I do realize that the institution of marriage is a social construct and that it itself it is meaningless, I do want to make that gesture to someone, and have them do the same with me. I just want someone to be ALL mine, and I want everyone else to know that THAT'S how I want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3e0EkvIEM

• I voted B. I don't know if I can see myself being with one person for as long as I live.. Not because I'm not dedicated or anything but because people change. You may enjoy each other's company today but 30 years from now when you've heard everything that person has had to say and have seen them in every way? I don't know.. People change and times change so it's hard for me to see any kind of constant in that.

I'll just go with the flow in a relationship and if it ends it ends and if it doesn't it doesn't. I don't have expectations nor would I think less of someone for ending the relationship. Things change. I guess I have a mentality where it's best to take things day by day.

• Well, wouldn't be better for people to change a bit? So you won't get bored! I would hate to get bored... I think what's important is to change together but in the same direction...if that makes any sense :P

• Knew you'd get it :D Sometimes I wonder if there are people who just exist as... life companions. More than friends, but not quite husband and wife, no possibility of children.

• I wonder if that seems too detached lol :P Hmmm... and if it would be easy to stick to the rules...

• A negative ripple effect of modern society is that there is no real value or benefit to marriage 99.9% of the time. Marriage means going through good and bad things together an sure lots of people SAY they do that but the reality of divorce rates shows a different story the truth is men and women's personality's conflict more now because of the way younger generations where brought up and each few years you can notice this degrade even further as morals and family values disappear.

Not to mention for the guys it is a bad financial idea since so many women look at marriage and a way of financial gains. how many of you have heard a girl say "well if I stay with him for X amount of time I should get X amount of money"

look at it this way people get excited because they lasted a whole month together...lol but if we get serious guys and girls date , living together have sex but when things get hard they don't know how to nor really want to try to fix it the modern society has them conditioned to just trade them in and find someone new so with that mind set there is no real commitment and if you don't have commitment then whats the propose of marriage when you can just get all the benefits without any of the headaches

• The throw-away-fix-nothing society isn't what it's cracked up to be.The majority of people who leave a marriage and get divorced because they think that marriage is making them unhappy are still unhappy 5 years after the divorce.
      The majority of people (about 2/3) who stay and try to improve an unhappy marriage ARE happy 5 years later.
      The winners are the ones who try to fix things, and the losers go on to make the same mistakes again.

• I have no desire to. I'd even prefer the single life and would rather break up so she can find someone to marry if she's insisting on marriage big time. I don't need a relationship. I just like occasional sex and a few cuddles here and there. I don't care if we've known each other a long time or if she was to go off with someone else afterwards.

• Legally wedded? Nope. Marriage today is just a bad idea for men. Maybe spiritually married, like exchanging vows in private, if I met the right woman.

You know, men break up with their girlfriends more often but women initiate divorce more often?

Marriage is like being Damocles and having a sword over your head. I've seen it over and over. It's simple--when you're dating, you both have equal power. Why change what's not broken?

• I would like to be married or common law. But I feel I'm rapidly approaching a point where it won't be possible.

I think I would need to date for at least a year. I mean you will never completely know someone until you live with them. But I want as much knowledge as possible. It took a little over a year before my ex. really started showing her true colours.

• I'm not sure I believe in marriage, as I have hitherto experienced relationships.

But the romantic, irrational part of me, believes I will meet that woman with whom ignites some latent energetic and spiritual force within me. With whom I am destined to be with, and we just, melt together, entering new realms of consciousness.

If she appears, then I guess I should marry her...

• Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. We got married at 29/30 respectively. We dated for a year, were engaged for a year, been married 15 years.

• Maybe when I'm 26 and have banged 100 girls.

• I voted B. Marriage doesn't offer a man anything a long-term relationship doesn't, it costs a lot of money and a lot more if it turns ugly. Plus I'm not religious. Makes no sense to me at all.

• But if you love me, why won't you sign this contract?

• Because.ause

• Have you reviewed all the terms and conditions? I especially like this part in subsection C that legally entitles me to half of everything you own, and allows me to exercise this right for any or no reason.

• Why would someone ever wish to marry if he/she found absolutely nothing wrong in having a "relationship" outside marriage?

• Because they're sheep.

• Because government interference in your personal life always works out for the better.

• @apropos: you have me stumped there :)

• Yes, I think think so. Under all the cynicism that's built up in me, I think/hope/am waiting for that never ending love and to marry her.

• I do want to get married, yes.

• I got into the relationship with my wife with every intention of marrying her. We had known each other for a while though.

I was 32 when we got married and my wife was 25. I think those are both good ages. I wasn't ready at 25... I doubt most guys really are.

• You can make a lifelong commitment to someone without having a state officiated contract.

• Agreed. Marriage is legally a three part union. You, her, and the state. Ugh.

• I actually interpret signing a marriage contract as her calling me a liar.

If I say I'll never leave, I'm good for my word. If my word's not good enough for her, I have no interest in being with her.

I realize she wants me to sign a contract so she can be granted exclusive rights to half of my assets, and the mere fact that she'll never just come out and say that bothers me even more.

• In fact, I'd be more apt to sign a marriage contract if she was more gangster about it, instead of dropping all this "love" stuff.

"You're richer than me, and I want half of your shit, and I don't really trust you, so I want you to sign this."

In that case, I may actually give it some consideration.

• I just don't see it happening. It has been a while since I met anyone who was interesting OR interested. Jaded already...

• Why do you care what I say? In my world, for me it is sad experience, I would like to be with someone that I would like to share and care :)

• I do, but I don't see it in the cards for me.

• Why is that?

• The rare type of person and introverted personality is so me

• months at a time ! that sounds difficult !

• B forever!

• Happily married for many years now, I don't name the numbers, but it's longer than my studies are lasting now.

• Yes i expect to get married eventually but it is really up to the girl as i don't have a preference.
    If she wants to marry we marry and if she doesn't we don't.

• I've been married and once believed in it, but it's a crock of shit.
    If it ever happened again, I'd have to date someone or live with them for 5-10 years first.

• i want to but at the same time don't. Because i don't want kids and i don't want to feel pressured to have kids.

• Marriage doesn't mean you have to have kids.

• Not always but as a guy you're going to feel pressured into it specially with moms who wants to be grand mas. I have an older friends who's mom and his wife moms is always talking about babies with and buy baby cloth saying i wish a had a baby to give this to i guess i have to return. this i not a lie

• I married myself, but it's an open relationship. :)

• I tried that but the cheating ruined the marriage.

• doesn't the definition of "open relationship" make it impossible to cheat?

• Yeah I do want to get married buti feel it is a long way off.

• I do! Or did! Today that changed.

• Yes, i want hope so

• I'm too ugly to date never mind getting married.

• Well yeah definitely someday

• Yes hopefully before I'm 30

• yup, after 5 years.

• More from Guys
    8

What Girls Said 50

• I wanna be married one day. But I don't know if it will happen for me. I know I make a great gf and i would make a great wife. heck people tell me all the time " whoever gets to wake up to you everyday sure is lucky" " the guy that marries you i will shake his hand" " you would be the perfect gf for anyone". But somehow I feel deep down inside, i will end up being single good looking career woman that just treats her nieces and nephews like her own and carry them places, take off some of the pressure for my siblings.I do really want to have children, like it would kill me inside if a doctor said i could never have ever.

But then I have thoughts about marriage, I know i am able to make the commitment and be faithful and be a great wife and mother one day. But then i think about how much heartbreak i've been through. How it makes me so scared to get close to another guy and i push people away or keep them at a distance where i don't gain feelings. :(. I don't know how to stop that. I think the right person for me will come along and make me not so afraid of getting screwed over emotionally, again.

• gosh i read back what i just wrote and gosh it hurts thinking this

• but i looked at the other answers. I dont mind having that long term relationship thats full of love and being faithful and happy. But I want the ring <3 lol

• I want to get marry someday. I want to have kids too. I love kids. I want big family. I want to cook omlette in the mornings and I want to see happiness on their face.

I don't want to live alone. It is just sad and selfish. While it is perfect feeling to share all happiness, living alone is sad story that I don't want to be part. I believe there are good things happening on this planet, that is what I work for.

But I am scared. I don't want to be broken anymore. I want to trust people like I do. There are cheaters, liars , players out there that break the dream. Still there should be someone which will prove that I am not wrong believing in this dream.

• So I'm sad and selfish because I live alone? That is kind of insulting. People have different wants and needs.

• yes i do.
    id like to get married anywhere between 24 and 26=]
    how long? hmm… well id want to be engaged at least a yr and know him minimum 3 years before engagement. now i know this seems like a long time, but i refuse to b part of the millions who get divorced. so imma take my precious time. no rush.

• I'm getting married in December so there's your answer, haha.

I'll be 24. I've reached my ideal age for marriage but I would have been okay with waiting a few years too. We'll wait a couple of years for kids. I think two years is a good amount of time to just date and be with somebody before deciding to take that next step.

• Aww congratulations!! I wish you the best of luck :)

• you may have reached your ideal age but I have seen some women get married that are 40 or older and look 20. and I would have never guessed that was there Age until they revealed, it. I think it's good that some wome to take care of themselves no matter what their relationship status is

• People can get married whenever they want. Many are waiting until they are well into their 30's. That's just not for me though.

• I want to get married. But not until I am ready. Me and my bf are courting so it is a little different then dating. It is more serious. I would think when I am ready but I think after 22 23. I would have to be out of collage and starting my career. I want to be able to support myself and live my dream before I add someone else's to it. The ultimate thing is I want to be ready and not jump into something I would regret later. I would probably have to be dating them for a few years after knowing and being friends with them for a few more years before that.

• Option E: Become a nun.

• I'm indifferent... I don't particularly want children so if it happens, cool... If not, no big deal :P. If it were to happen, we would have to be together for over a year.

• That's kind of surprising to hear

• Perhaps. I wanted them before but then it changed. It could change again!

• My wife's case, idk, her childhood hadn't been that good, so she liked kids but couldn't see herself providing a good home i think. when that changed, she wanted them.

• Yep. I'd love to get married and have kids. Lots of them. I love my family and just families in general, so i hope to have a big one!
    i'm 19 right now and ideally i'd like to get married young and have kids young (not too young though) definitely have my first kid at around 28? 29? but i'm still in school and probably will be for a while so i'm not sure how it's all going to work out.

• I am already married. I got married at 23 so this will be my 11th year being married this summer. We dated for about a year before we tied the knot. Yes that is it just a year lol. He proposed after 4 months and 8 months later we were married.

• Wow! That seems so fast to me. Lol But hey, everyone is different. I'm glad it worked out for you:)

• I do, I really do. I'm a semi-conservative (girl not yet a woman) LOL. But my mom she's pretty much high up on the same level of other man as a CEO but she keeps on reminding us on the value of marriage. She's a working mom but also a housewife, she cooks, cleans, hands on mother but she works for a successful firm. I'm being taught on how to cook, do your own laundry, everything so I salute her and thankful for being a good mother that taught us well on the value of marriage. I would like to get married and same time soar to the top as a career woman.

• I'm not quite sure because I've never really seen myself as a family type person. But, if I do get married, my family will put a lot of pressure on me to have kids which is something I'm not doing and I just don't want to deal with them harping on me to have kids. I guess it would just really depend on how much I love the person and if they're willing to get married or not.

• Preferably not.

• I want to get married one day with a right man, have kids with him and enjoy a happy family life. Sound simple :) . Hmmm...i think 26 or 27 will be ideal for me when i have my career and stable finance. It will take me over a year to get to know him and trust him enough to think bout getting married.

• Sure...if I still believe in it when the time comes.

• Marriage is so beautiful when you love your partner so much and can't live without him being in my life.

• I never thought so until I met the guy with now.. I'd be good just staying together but I think he likes the idea...and it's nice when he says it :)

• I'd rather stay single forever than just settle for the sake of marrying.
    If I find the right guy without whom I can't imagine my life, I will marry.
    Or else, happily single forever! ^_^

• I don't know; I think it would be nice to find someone who you can have that sort of deep, committed, living relationship with; but at the same time, i'm not one of those girls who has their wedding planned since they were 12, and has all of these expectations because I'm well aware that marriage isn't something which is going to happen to everyone. So yeah, I'm just going to take it as it comes.

• Yes at some point I'd like to get married, obviously with the right person, perhaps be dating for a long while. I don't want to rush a relationship into a marriage for it to later fall apart because we rushed it and didn't think long and hard.

• I voted D because I don't see the point in marriage. If the man I'm with strongly believes in marriage then I would marry him out of respect to him, but if he's the same as me, then no I wouldn't get married

• Unfortunately people plan to get married but sometimes it usually does not work out that way. maybe a couple ends up having a baby that they did not plan before they got married or one of them gets dumped. sometimes life does not work out the way it is planned. I for one never plan to get married but I have dated a lot of man that wanted to get married but never proposed. I think that I am pretty laid back which is why I think I attract men that want to marry me.

• also I am not sure where you are from but I have seen it more common for couples to live together or stay in long-term relationships and have children and not get married. cohabitation in long-term relationships seem to be very common even if they get engaged it seems pretty rare for the person to get married these days

• I have 2 sisters that are married. and what I noticed about their personalities is that they are sweet, helpful and they never settle or keep someone disrespectful and their lives. they immediately cut off negative people

• I actually visited virginia. Im not religous but where i live people who are religious in terms of Christianity do not practice what they preach. the young woman say oh I would rather get married before having children but 90% of them had children and did not get married they just live together

• No. I never had this dream. I use to say that marriage it's OK for other people, but not for me.

• Yes I want to get married in the future!

• I wish I can marry my first true love and live with him forever unfortunately he died and leave me alone in this world :'(

• Probably not. I'm not really great at creating lasting bonds with people unless they don't give a shit about me or are my family.

• I really don't care either way to be honest. I know that's a strange answer, but I'd let my partner decide. If marriage meant a lot to him, sign me up. If not, then I'm happy being in a long term unmarried relationship :)

• If I'll see a future with a guy, I'll want to get married, yes. But not before I have a regular job, my own place...But it's not something I'd find necessary.

• I would like to be married one day just not right now.

• I would lover to get married to my SO in about 3 years if were both in the same place, I'll be 24 and he'll be 25. We already have kids together Lol.

• Yupp, hopefully in the next 5 years.

• More from Girls
    20