Does anybody else think marriage sucks? Player for life?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 24

• No, i think its a commitment to share your life with someone. I think people who get into marriages a lot of the time don't take their vows/commitment seriously and when the going gets tough, people give up.

People say things like "well marriages are 50% likely to end in divorce", which actually has not been proven, because statistics got messed up with people who have had a spouse pass away, and then got remarried again later in life, and they counted those deaths as divorces when really they werent. Also what people are more interested to know is how many FIRST marriages fail, but those who get divorced usually get divorced more than once, which is more of a reflection of the individual rather than marriage itself. First marriages ending in divorce is somewhere in a bracket of under 25%.

I dont think marriage is for everyone because some people suck at and hate commitment, but I don't think marriage sucks either. It's also been proven that married men are happier than single men and live longer. I think people toss around all the stories of people getting divorced and statistics that haven't been proven and conclude that marriage is pointless. You need to think ahead, know what you're doing, be old and mature enough going into it, and be completely sure and committed and love that person before saying your vows and signing those papers. I think you should get married at 25yrs old+ because thats when we stop developing and are at an age to make more appropriate and mature decisions.

• Well I'm a virgin, and I want to have sex after marriage. So like marriage for me is so that I can have sex, and if I get pregnant, you're not leaving me lol. Marriage to me is like an agreement that we can settle down and have a family.

• Marriage sucks. Players suck.

A piece of paper doesn't solidify feelings, only legally binds a couple and gives a false sense of security (mostly to girls).

Proper committed relationships are the way to go.

• ikr. Girls are so silly.

• Just because they announce it "till death do them part" it doesn't mean marriage = commitment. It's a ceremony. People know that.

Solidifying feelings is done before marriage, AND during marriage. I did not say societal pressure should be what binds people together, but it should be something couples can handle to integrate into a society.

• Marriage has a pretty direct connotation with commitment whether you agree or not. Yes, it's a ceremony, but people view it as a serious step forward in relationships with the intent of committing to it.

• Having a lot of partners in my past, or polygamous relationships.. All that stuff grosses me out. I could never be a slut, nor would I get anywhere near a player.
    I want to commit to one man I fall for, to be his lover and friend, his go-to person for the rest of our lives. So I do believe in marriage and I want all it entails.
    I'm not unreasonable to claim I'll get all I want in life for sure, but I just can't sell my wish short like this and say I don't believe in something, just because others have failed at it. All I can do is work on myself and look for my future husband.

• No.
    I do think that many people take marriage too frivolously and don't really think about the meaning of it at all. This is what's messed up.

Being a 'player' over the age or 30 means being emotionally retarded.

• It's more of the commitment than the paper. People who use the "it's just a paper" excuse is because they are afraid of commitment.
    If a guy doesn't want to marry me, I'll dump him for the fact that it shows he is not sure what he feels for me. Or what he wants.
    I'm not going to stay young forever. I want to find someone that will love me and be there for me till in the end.

• Player for life is a bit like Who wants to live forever, isn't it? Or too much love will kill you, lol.
    That being said, I've nothing pro nor against marriage. Guess it's more of a family thing, though lately I've been meeting people who married in their 40's and will never have kids but seem pretty happy...
    I was never married, so who knows, it might be pretty good when you find the right companion.

• i don't really agree dude

• Most Men are polygamous by nature. I think it is a men's right to have more than one mate. And women should be Strong and Free enough not to take away a man's Freedom for the sake of their own ease. specially when young you cannot limit a man.
    Marriage is not about sex by any means. it's only and only about survival. and only 2 should marry when they are mature enough to understand the meaning and reason of survival.
    if two want stable sex partners marriage is not the way. because they simply can't have a stable sex partner without one taking away the freedom of the other one.
    and nowadays the law and women's right is making this unfair situation harder for some men, while the ideal of survival is completely fading away and replacing the roll of Mother and Father with lifetime sex partners. and some selfish women abuse it.
    and for some weaker men too it can be a good way to have an easy lifetime prey.

At the end, I think it mostly sucks and the reason is because it's done without knowing the true concept of it.

• Interesting.

• I actually think genes will get worse. All the bad genes survive more easily. The only ones that hold out against it will be the people who actively fight it.

• yea, that can be right.

• Well you wouldn't be alone, since everyone here is so keen on bashing marriage.

• Everyone everywhere bashes marriage lmao.

• You can thank no-fault divorce for that.

• http://divorce-canada.ca/legal-grounds-for-divorce-in-canada

It's not even that easy to get a divorce! SO SCARY!

• Marriage is beautiful because you will be with your lover for rest of your life and you will share everything with him and you will find someone to care about you when you feel sick or sad and you will find someone to talk to when you're sad or mad or anything
    Believe me there's a lot of good things in marriage
    If you choose the right person.

• I have no feelings toward marriage haha it is not because it sucks,
    It is because I don't wanna think it as a major accomplishment of my life, like what my parents think :P
    Being with love one for the rest of my life is good but whenever I see unhappy marriage couple it just destroys all good images of marriage in my head :( so.. I'm not sure whether it sucks or not haha. Such a hard question!! LOL

• Uh no. I think marriage can be beautiful if handled correctly.

But yes, its not for everyone.

• I understand the allure that a life of playing the field has for some people. It's not for me though.

• As a virgin, I don't think I have anything to say about it. I don't think I'm ever gonna get married though.

• it only sucks if he's not an a*****

• I think marriage is just a piece of paper. Worthless. If you truly love someone you would show it with loyalty and respect. I'm not really interested in getting married but being a player doesn't appeal to me.

• No it brings two people and two families together. Its a divine relationship in my eyes

• Marriage is just a piece of paper

• Hahaha sweet.

• Just makes it all the better hahaha

• I dont believe in marriage but I believe player sucks

• Meh...too young for that shit player for life

• This girl does. I don't mind having bfs, though. But damn, I need my space!

• I don't want to get married. Nor do I am to live with my bf. I rather be sketchy to them

• I feel that marriage is great but I do see many people settle since they dont wanna be alone and rather deal with what their use to then being alone. Not that they can't met someone knew. I guess it would suck if I married someone who I thought I knew and then later it turns out he not the person I thought he was it can happen since I dated someone like that.
    But I dont like players unless their open about what thu are if their lying about it then that to me is disrespectful. I don't know it just my openion and how I wanna be treated.
    But if it came done to being im a horrible marriage or being single ill pick to be single I dont wanna be married miserible and worse if I have kids with that person to it just adds to more stress and I can't complelty cut my ties now.

What Guys Said 16

• If women weren't treating marriages the way they've been over the past years it'd have a lot better of a rep than it does now. Too many women have the stance of "successful men only" and measure it by their income level. They are literally basing this info determining who to date. Then the rest of what they want they consider. But with the skyrocketing divorce rates and women taking stuff from marriages and just moving on I don't see myself ever getting married.

I'll just stay in the dating part and leave it at that and if they want to leave, I'll have no problem with it because it just means she was only interested in trying to use me for some silly fantasy of hers.

• Yea. Many older men always told me "Never get married." It always seemed like a joke but it needs to be taken seriously nowadays. Hell, even many complain about the "Stopping of sex" but as a guy, if you stop having sex with your wife it can cost you $14,000 when you get sued like that french wife did to her husband calling it a "violation of their marital contract."

• lol it's no joke. It's death. Not worth it under any circumstances.

• Marriage can be great, you just have to find the right one and be sure of it. Then you both have to go into in 100% Not 80/20% or any other way. You have to go into it planning on never getting a divorce and working everything out, both of you, not just one. I know a few people who have been married for a long time and have that attitude. Its great. Problem today is its a disposable contract. Most people go into it planning on getting a divorce and don't put out the needed effort when stuff gets tough. In those cases why even waste time getting hitched, unless kids are on the picture.

• I would agree with this.

• Damn it! Good to hear it man, that's what I meant.

• Sir, do not forget about the human element. It's not always as simple as collaborative effort to work everything out, as you stated. The point, people's feelings and perspective change. Their wants and needs may change, which can drastically reduce or eradicate the necessary motivation to work through trials and tribulations. It's said that one does do not divorce the person he/she married, which I agree with. That said, I'm sure most people do not invest in dating someone for years and years with the intention of breaking up. You can't be sure. It's impossible!
      Should one compromise or improvise to remain with someone he or she will no longer love, value, or trust, etc?
      In my opinion, marriage is partly about committing to an intent. An intent to be someone. But as we all are aware of, things happen. Things which are out of our hands.

• I'm very happy to be married. With my wife, that is: if I had married one of my exes, I might think like you. (I'd be divorced by now, I suppose)

• Guys always give the married guys a rough time. And married guys will always joke about being married.

Ask the married guys, how many of them would sincerely trade places with you. You'll quickly see how many guys truly like being married.

The truth is that it depends. A terrible marriage is hell. A great marriage is heavean. It just depends on what you end up with.

A terrible marriage (usually leading to divorce) is where you don't get along, aren't fulfilled and fight everyday. Usually problems with alcohol, money or infidelity.

A great marriage is where you wake up next to your best friend everyday and you guys get to have fun, make memories and have a family together.

Marry the right girl and you'll have a shot at a great marriage. Marry the wrong one, and hell awaits you. Most guy who are miserable either married too young or married for all the wrong reasons.

• I think marriage is more than just a paper, but I guess I want marriage one day.

For now no.

• If marriage is done for the right reasons then it is a beautiful thing. Personally I do know that I want to get married.

• I m not married but I see many married man In pain. .hahaha

• i respect marriage since i am sensitive towards the kids

• I think marriage is stacked in favour of Women, and I can't see myself wanting to ever do it (that may change though, if I meet the right person.)

I don't think being a "player" for life is a good idea either. What happens when you're 50 years old and lonely?

• Yes

• you gotta be able to get laid to be a player, son

• Marriage is good for men over 35 and for girls under 25 .

• I do think marriage sucks. Not against a committed relationship but marriage no

• Agree, i would stick to friends with benefits.

• Marriage really doesn't appeal to me at all, but then neither does being a player.

• I will never marry. My parents had a shit marriage, as did both sets of grandparents. No married person I know is very happy.