Would you be willing to leave the State out of your marriage?

I'm curious. When I attended a family law class, the teacher, a local family law attorney, remarked, "People think marriage is between a man and a woman. It's not. It's between you, your beloved, and the State. The State is massively involved in it." And he went down a huge laundry list of basically why Family Law is a huge practice.

So I have to wonder--how many of you would be fine just exchanging vows before a Pastor/priest, instead of bringing the state and legalese and all that into your wedding? Think you could trust someone to honor their vows if they knew that family court couldn't get involved, that divorce attorneys were not a threat?

• Yes, a marriage that only involved us exchanging vows would be fine.
  • No, I want the State legally involved in my wedding.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, it's better but really my answer is neither.

What Girls Said 2

• I want the state legally involved in my marriage
    marriage is also a legally binding contract and I want that to be respected

• Why do you want the State involved and make it a legal contract? (which, it's not much of a contract, since it can be dissolved over "irreconcilable differences")

• I wouldn't even be able to have a religious ceremony without a marriage license.

What Guys Said 1

• Eh I wouldn't care either way. I don't even need to get married if my partner didn't want it so I guess it's kind of whatever to me.