When did you get engaged or how long would you wait?

I've been with my boyfriend awhile now, we've talked of marriage, kids, etc. and that's all in the cards. But yesterday I was with my mom and she asked "so are you guys engaged yet?" And I was kinda blown away. I guess I never realized everyone else would question if we are engaged yet.
We've talked about starting to try for kids in two years. That's all I know. And I'm not gonna ask so when are you gonna ask me to marry you. I want a surprise :P
Anyway
I was wondering how long you guys waited to get engaged? Or if you are dating someone when you think you will get engaged? If you aren't dating someone how long do you think you would. Assuming your relationship is great and engagement is the next logical step

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm single but i think it varies from couple to couple. You should just do what feels right

• Yeah I agree. I'm just looking to see if there is a consensus :)

What Guys Said 1

• I waited a year. And I wouldn't have kids with someone before marriage.

What Girls Said 2

• I've been with my partner for about 3 years, and just got engaged. Honestly, I don't think we would have gotten married if we didn't have our baby.(there's some really weird tax rules, and healthcare stipulations for people who aren't married, but have children together.) But we don't want to get married for at least 5 more years.

• I was barely 21 and was married six months after getting engaged! I knew in my heart it was the right thing, I couldn't picture my life without him. I want kids and didn't wanna waste a lot of time about it so we started trying for a baby right away, I want to have my babies young and before my husband is 37...he's ten years older than me. Truthfully there isn't a perfect age, everyone is ready at different times in their life. Don't feel pressured because everyone else thinks y'all should already be married! My sister has been with her bf for 14 years and they still aren't married, they have a kid and are happy with how things are...they do plan to get married but they are just trying to get things worked out before they do.