He started crying very suddenly, why?

Had a heart to heart with a friend at work. I told him he shouldn't still be with his fiance because she cheated on him before (a while back) and once a cheater always a cheater. I said it's likely she will do it again and I don't want him to go through that again. The conversation before that was pretty nice, not volatile at all. But once I said that statement his eyes were starting to water. (Pretty fast) He made me leave (in a nice way) and shut the door and I guess cried for a minute, then came out all sad and left for a while, then eventually came back. He was shocked that I said that, but I had to. I was very straight forward. Also keep in mind we have always had feelings for one another, though once she came back in the picture he still treated me the same, just wouldn't even ever mention her to me. I found out they were back together because a mutual friend of mine saw them together one day. When I asked him about it, he wouldn't go in detail. And avoided all conversations about her to me. I'm very giving, selfless and nice. I just had to tell him that and I got that kind of reaction. Why would he react that way?

• He knew I was right
  • He was upset I would say that to him
  • Other (add your own comment)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say he knew you were right, it's a pretty hard situation to go through especially when he's in a emotional state. Maybe during the conversation, pictures of her started to go through his head and the fear of her leaving him or him leaving her made him feel pain and it hurt him to think about it. Guess he knew the truth but couldn't accept it until you said it.

What Guys Said 4

• The truth hurts; I think he knows what you said was true which is why he cried, hopefully he takes your advice to heart.

• No one wants to talk about being cheated on. It's a very emotional issue.

• cheaters aren't always cheaters

• Nobody likes a tattletale.

What Girls Said 1

• "I'm very giving, selfless and nice."

So, you told him he shouldn't marry his fiancee based on your own opinion and because you have feelings for him. That doesn't sound very selfless to me. You don't think he knows his situation? You don't think he realizes they've got work to do? Quite frankly, that's none of your business. I realize he's a friend, but you're putting your feelings ahead of his.

• He told me several months prior to this conversation the relationship was very bad and I had to watch him be sad every single day while he was trying to get over it. So yes, if feeling this way makes me selfish. I'm selfish. But usually that's not the case.