Do you think 10 months is too soon to get engaged?

What are the indicators that it's time to ask her to marry you?

Most Helpful Girl

• For me it is.. I don't know. I just see that people can change in more than 10 months. You can notice that even with friends or yourself. I've known a couple that was together for 3 years and suddenly decided to break up. So honestly, I say when you are ready, you just know or feel it. Good and bad things happen, they are part of life. For a partner for life I find 10 months too little.
    I have friends who have been in a relationship ( still in high school, let's be clear) who had like at least a 1 year relationship and still together or some broken up after.
    IT's not too soon if you love each other so much and you feel she is the one for you. But if you have doubts you can wait :) Or if you aren't sure she's gonna want to that soon. She's not going to leave, since the relationship is good. But you can get engaged and have the wedding like a year or 2 after. Seen that happen too. :) Whatever you feel is right.:)

What Girls Said 12

• Hey, if you feel it you feel it! If you think you know the person well enough, then I don't think there's a certain time requirement.

My parents got engaged after 6 months of dating. Still together after nearly 30 years! My grandparents (well, grandma and step-grandpa) have been married around the same time and they only dated for 4 months. And this elderly couple I met at my job only dated 3 months before they got MARRIED... and they're still together after 47 years! They're the cutest couple I've ever met, too.

I personally would prefer to date a man for at least a year (ideally 2) before getting engaged, but I'm not gonna make it a requirement.

• It depends, if you KNOW she is the one you want to be with and marry and spend your life with then ask her, but if you aren't sure for any reason wait a while and see if you still feel that way in a few more months.

• I'm sure that I want to spend the rest of my life with her, and i'm pretty certain she want's to spend hers with me, but I'm still not sure about asking so soon, it just seems like rushing into it

• If you feel like you are rushing then maybe wait a little longer, that way there is no question.

• I think if you feel like the time is right but I would say you would need to make sure the other person is on the same page with the relationship. Relationships are wonderful, delicate things and should be handled with care as they take time to progress, it might be too soon but it might be just right, just make sure you want to ask this girl to marry you for the right reasons :)

• When you feel that you love her more than anything, you are ready to give your whole self. When you feel ready to face the challenges ahead of you as a couple.

• If you're asking this question then you're not ready

When you're ready there will be no room for doubts

• Wait! Unless you two are old and dying there is time! People change all the time! People either change or you find out things that you didn't know before and 10 months isn't long enough to know if a person is right for you! They should have at least 80% of the qualities you need in a LIFE partner and you should wait to be sure!

• Yeah. It is to me.

• Why would you consider it so, would you think you needed more time to get to know the guy?

• At least a year. At least. And then I'd want to stay engaged for another year.

• you will know when it's right.

• I think if you feel like its the right time then do it (:

• Yikes! Too soon :o
    My siblings have been a in a relationship with a person for years now, they're not engaged xD

• Wait at least for it to be a yr and a half. But once you know you know

• desperate people tend to do things like that

What Guys Said 10

• I don't think there is really a "right time", 10 months sounds decent anyways. my science teacher only knew her bf for 4 months and they got married and are still married and she's been very happy since. they just knew. if you both feel it then you're golden.

• Yes! I think we are pretty complicated creatures! I don't think anyone can have a person totally figured out in less than a year. I think that is pretty shallow. I think people should at least date for 6 month to a year, then move in and live with each other for at least one year before deciding if this person is right for you. Marriage isn't a race. There is no time limit. Don't rush into it. Make sure you know as much about this person as possible, good and bad! I just don't see that happening in less than a year. The divorce rate backs me up too!

• anytime is alright... in the era of the conquerors people would be married almost instantly... my grandparent's marriage was an arranged marriage and they've been together until death did the apart... the questions you need to ask yourself is:

does she satisfy me mentally, emotionally, sexually, spiritually, visually?

are we both 100% honest with eachother and talk about our problems?

do we share common life goals and support eachother's decisions and compromise to help one another?

• It depends if you BOTH know that you're the ones you want to be with. I don't think getting engaged is something that should come as a complete surprise to the girl. She should definitely be surprised with how you do it, but I think it should come after some serious conversations with you that verify you are both ready and certain this is what you want.

• I personally would need to be with her for two years bit also lived with her for a year.

• Yes it's too soon. You don't really know his character yet.

You have to go through tough situations that will push both of your patience to your limits, test his honesty and integrity, see his commitment to you despite fatigue and annoyance, etc. I know I had my mind changed about a lot of people after I've seen them at their worst.

• I'd wait like 2 years at least and even that might not be sufficient.

• Nope not at all. Indicators would be you only want to be with her and you love everything about her and can't be without her, also she has to feel the same about you too.

• I think so, hold it off if you can.

• I think 10 months is too soon, but then I hear stories of couples getting married weeks into a relationship and fast forward thirty years they're still together and couples who have been in a relationship for several years divorcing a few years into their marriage.

So if you think it's the right time then I say go for it and I wish you all the best.