Do you believe in the tradition that brides should always wear a white wedding gown?

I have only seen a select few weddings where women did not wear a white gown, maybe a red or a blue gown. Once a black gown, for a gothic themed wedding.

Do you believe in the tradition that a bride should wear a white wedding gown?

Do you think a bride could wear a red, or blue gown?
Or even better,

Would you as a woman wear a suit to your wedding instead? And men, how would you feel about your girlfriend wearing a suit to your wedding? :D

Most Helpful Girl

• A bride can wear whatever she wants. Colors are vastly meaningless (Except in certain cultures, like India, where they wear red to weddings and white to funerals (I believe)). But, at least here in America, the color of a gown is not only meaningless, but completely misunderstood. As I said below, white is not about purity, it was just a statement started by Queen Victoria.

If you can rock a suit, why not? If that's what you're comfortable in, why not? If your groom doesn't get that it's what makes you feel beautiful and sexy and perfect on your big day then is he really worth it? It's not up to any one else what you want to wear, all that matters is that you feel stunning and comfortable and beautiful and like a bride. And happy, most importantly happy.

So show cleavage, wear black, hell wear hunting camo and orange vests for all I care! All that matters is that you're happy. If the man has a problem with what she's wearing then maybe they're not so great together after all? If I got married and my man, in all seriousness, wanted to wear the dress and wanted me to wear a suit I'd go for it. It's all about what's going to make you happy.

What Guys Said 2

• well, if u wear black, its a forced wedding

• Not always true though, my bestfriend is really into the Gothic Era and wore a blanket corseted dress on her wedding day!

• or because they felt they had to

• Nope, It wasn't like that. They're both not the type of people who follow traditions. or get married because they have too. I'm not going to say anything else besides that I know they love each other and she wore black because there theme was a Gothic theme, and they got their names tattooed on each other at the wedding... It's all in who the people are!

• A bride could wear any color she wants, but the white is suppose to show purity, as in virginity. A lot of women don't feel comfortable exposing their sexual past in front of everyone. I prefer white in a normal tradition.

I would be pissed if my wife wore a suit. It isn't asking much to have her have some respect for traditions and not pretend to be a man at our wedding. If you don't have any respect for tradition, then why even have a wedding? A wedding is all about tradition.

• Well, I didn't mean a manly suit, a womans dress suit would be what I am talking about. I am glad to hear your opinion :)!

• Eventually after that, white began to be about purity. We could argue about when the tradition started, but it is a tradition.

• In recent history in some western cultures, yes. And wedding isn't about the traditions anyway, not any more. That's why people have crazy themes and justices of the peace and get married on the beach or in the woods or even just in the courthouse. Wedding is about celebration and joy and personality, unless your from a traditional family. Traditions are all but irrelevant these days. There isn't a single tradition that hasn't been broken a thousand or more times.

What Girls Said 8

• I like the white tradition and I'd wear a white dress myself (maybe with some colored accents) but I think a bride should wear whatever color she wants. I think it would be strange to see a bride in a suit and some guys might not like that, but again, if she has something against dresses then she shouldn't have to wear one.

• I think a bride should wear whatever color wedding dress she wants. I wouldn't wear a white dress when I get married even though I am waiting until marriage to have sex.

• I want to wear an off white lace

• I don't think they HAVE to if they don't want, but personally it think it looks better and want a white gown

• Wear what the hell you want! I've never wanted to get married but if I do it'd be really small. If I were to have a big wedding I'd wear a flawless crimson dress!

• That would look beautiful! I wore a royal blue gown on my wedding day! :)

• Lol I'd wear red while my bridesmaids wore white. That's if I had one though. Never believed in spending a lot of money on weddings. And that sounds gorgeous. I'm sure it was beautiful :)

• I don't see anything wrong of wearing a wedding gown in other color, I attended a wedding wherein the bride wear a light blue gown and she looks so pretty, all the guest wears white and she is the only one who wore a different color. Color does not matter I think it is way better since it is your wedding day and you are free to choose whatever you want to wear http://www.calicolaine.co.uk/bridal-fabric.html

• All white because to me it's means purity and it's something I'll be proud of not ashamed

• Good for you! I don't think a women not wearing white means she's ashamed, some people just don't believe in the old traditions. :)

• In the past, it showed that you were still pure (In Christianity, you aren't supposed to have sex until after you're married, so this is a symbol of that). However, it's your big day! Whatever makes you happy and feel beautiful, go for it. Personally, I prefer a white dress and I think it's easier to work with (all the flowers and bridesmaids dresses) but if it makes you and your spouse happy, that's all that matters.