Why do polygamous marriages exist?

How can women share their man, if a girl knew her man had sex with a girl she would call that cheating, but obviously these women dont look at it this way, why?

0|0
7|7

Most Helpful Girl

• Well obviously in muslim countries it's allowed in their religion. A religion that was written by men Powerful men who benefit from something like that.
    The rest of population does not benefit from it. Women as you said get jealous and a lot of men are left without a partner.

I think in many societies there is a lot of pressure for women to accept a second wife or be a second/ thrid... wife. Sometimes they don't have a choice at all. If chosen freely, I think it's a path that only very few would choose.

There are certain circumstances under which polygamy works for a nations. but they're rare. more than occasional polygamy is not good for a country it leads to all kinds of problems. A lot of people here said it's biology, that's not strictly true. It's not in a woman's interest for he husband/ partner or whatever to be invested in a child that is not hers.
    And I mean we do live in a society not in the wild and for men don't have money or high status polygamy leads to aggression and frustration which in return leads to all kinds of political problems

0|0
    0|1
    • first the can't have another wife until the first women okay with this and if can be justice with them phizcal and funantiol but if can't do this its porhibtet please dont say its just okay read first and if u look to muslim countries 90% have one wife

What Girls Said 6

• I do find that a lot of people In polygamous tend to get jealous of others.
    They are human so that's a natural feeling.
    But they learn to compress that, and proceed with their relationship.
    Not every one finds it contenting to be with just one person.
    Some people like variety.
    And if that's what both people want then great for them!
    I rather that , than someone going behind your back and cheating.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's more for reasons of security than reasons of love. Typically the guy is willing to provide her with a house and pay for all bills in exchange. Usually girls of low self esteem get suckered into these marriages. He makes her think no one else will love her as much as he can, so it's better to share his love than to have none at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • From an evolutionary point of view humans were never meant to be monogamous and monogamous marriages are only part of a culture. So polygamous marriages are more natural.

0|2
    0|0
  • Because the pickings are slim

0|0
    0|1
  • Because of females with low self esteem and guys who use this to their advantage.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's endorsed by their religion/culture.

1|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• You appear to be referring to polygyny. Polygamy can also mean polyandry (men sharing one woman) and many other forms of polygamy, including same-gender polygamy. Where it is truly CONSENSUAL, it exists because consenting adults WANT those relationships. In some places with polygyny-only (no gay relationships or polyandry) some women have no choice. Gender inequality is a real problem in those places.

There is no good reason to deny that we must keep evolving until an adult, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, monogamy or polyamory, race, or religion is free to marry any and all consenting adults. The limited same-gender freedom to marry is a great and historic step, but is NOT full marriage equality, because equality "just for some" is not equality. Let's stand up for EVERY ADULT'S right to marry the person (s) they love. Get on the right side of history!

0|1
    0|0
  • Culture and/or religion.

1|2
    0|0
  • Either because it's a religious preference or they understand that being monogamous isn't really in our nature.

2|2
    0|0
  • Its in our nature, just biology man. Not to mention how many religions grasp the concept. Men are ready to mate at any given time vs a women only certain times a month. Its a survival instinct

Food
    Reproduction
    Security

0|2
    0|0
  • because it works for them

0|0
    0|0
  • Because believe it or not some women love it.

0|1
    0|0
  • They like taking money from men and rarely having sex with said man.

0|1
    0|0