How to word my answer to my boyfriends proposal?

So I really love my boyfriend, and I do see myself marrying and spending the rest of my life with him, but I don't think it's a good time to be engaged and get married. He proposed to me last night, and I told him yes, but that I needed to do some thinking. We're pretty young, I'm 22 and he's 24. We broke up for 2 years (we're high school sweet hearts) because we were getting really serious and we both wanted to see other people to make sure that we were right for each other and so we knew we weren't "missing out" on anything. We made our way back to each other, and we've been back together for about 9 months now. He wants to get married because he's in the military and has good health coverage, and I was recently diagnosed with cancer, and my health insurance doesn't cover nearly as much as his would if I were a dependent on him. He also says that he never wants to go without me again. I don't want to get married for military benefits, I want to get married when the time is right for us because of where we're at in our lives. What are your thoughts? How would you handle this? Thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd just say that you're both young and you're not ready. Really marriage is just a legal pact between people, and one that's pretty easily dissolved through divorce. Cancer treatment can get pretty expensive and you're clearly in love with the guy so I'd so go for it, but if you feel you're not ready then you're not ready.

What Guys Said 1

• Perhaps he is going about this too soon.

I hate to ask if you two are already having sex. That complicates things, a lot.

What reservations do you have? You have spent years with him, what more do you want from him?

What Girls Said 0