Why is marriage important for people?

I just can't see how a marriage is any different to a relationship. People make too much drama out of marriage in my opinion. Religious views mean nothing to me. Am I wrong for thinking this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Many guys will love your stance on this because of what marriage has turned into over the years.

Basically you were raised more maturely while most girls were raised like a "princess" and they have these wedding ceremony fantasies. Ironically weddings costs thousands of dollars alone, and then the guy (who almost always earns higher) tends to get screwed over in the divorces which are occurring at a ridiculous rate now. Many guys are avoiding marriage like the plague now, including myself, because we see people in our daily lives divorcing within months of being married. Common mistakes people are making is having kids by accident, not moving in together to test the waters, marrying within months of knowing each other, and simply not spending time together. Many of these couples will leave you asking yourself "how the hell are they even a couple?"

• I actually disagree completely with the last half. You have no business marrying someone if you don't love them. If your really love someone you don't need to move in and "test the waters" and statistically people who marry within a few months do so because there was pre planning. If it's taking you 3 or more years to wife her it's because you are either afraid of commitment (not someone you want to marry) or are just in it for the hook up (also not someone you want to marry). The reason the divorce rate is so high is because dating has become something done on a whim when it should be something based on a thought out process of getting to know someone. O and you also shouldn't be marrying if you aren't ready to treat that girl like the princess she is. If you really love her you'll do w. e. it takes to make it work. You're just immature and selfish and that's coming from a straight male ^.^

• Bless this post below me.. bless it!!!

What Guys Said 7

• Marriage in our modern culture doesn't actually mean anything. Marriage in other cultures use to be a big commitment. There were strict legal and religious consequences about breaking the vows of marriage in the past. People still crave that commitment from their partner, while wanting a way out of the marriage for themselves if they change their mind. This is why we have so many people wanting to get married, and then get divorced.

• Marriage is the only way to financial protect your children.
    Marriage is the only way for a stay at home partner to have medical benefits.
    Marriage is the only way someone can get access or consideration at a hospital.

If you have those three covered, then you don't need marriage.
    And should I get married, I will pay someone to kill you if you ever pull the plug on my while in a hospital.

I believe that no one should stay for more than two years without legal marriage.
    There are plenty of other people who want to get married. After 2 years it is yes or leave.

• Well legally it's just kind of a safety net if you ever decide to separate. Our system is largely built around individuals owning property, but when you're living together as a couple you tend to both own things and marriage makes it clearly defined in law what to do in situations like that and others.

Other than that it's just another social construct, it's only as important as you want it to be. Just like things like virginity it doesn't actually exist or anything, it's really just a title that's in your head.

• Well marriage is like this
    You're declaring that the two people are entwined as one and will be together forever. i mean just think of it
    doesn't it put a smile on you're face knowing that you have a loved one who will never leave you or forsake you, knowing that he'll be with you thick and thin. Knowing that he will give his life to you.
    That to me is what marriage is, both of the spouses are joining together as one and will never be alone.
    Hope this helped you out hunay.

• To me marriage is a promise before God and to each other to stick together for the rest of our lifes.

I would go into more detail what would happen if you cancel out God, but this is not anonymous.

• I never plan on getting married. To me its just a state issued piece of paper. Most people do it because its a cultural norm and they feel like their life wouldn't be complete if they didn't at some point. Not to mention the Tax break benefits. And for Women especially they always fantasize about it being their "Big day" from the time they are little.

• It's not. That's why the stats are so insane now.

What Girls Said 2

• I see it as the ultimate commitment. Many people are in relationships all the time.. few people want to make a life time vow to their partner in front of their friends and family. It's just more special for me. Also I don't want to have a family someday where dad and mommy are just girlfriend and boyfriend.

• Few people take their vows seriously. Ultimate commitment rarely fits from both sides.

• Well that's subjective really. Some do, some don't. Just like some people take relationships seriously while others don't. But we don't see people entering less relationships cause of that now do we..

• I AGREE WITH YOU. 5 STARS. WOOP WOOP