Why do people say "Never marry young"?

I am a young wife and when people are informed they are quite shocked. I realize that most people extremely dislike the idea of young marriage. Yet I cannot find a complete concise reasoning.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because marrying young is so uncommon. They worry about you. These days, getting married young CAN carry some risk because people are staying in school longer, the economy sucks, and life is not as simple as it was when our parents and grandparents were getting married and having families.

What Guys Said 8

• I don't know why others say that, but I do know why I say that. It is because young people are still in a state of flux. They... we're still changing and aren't totally sure of what we want, yet. Another reason is that, in most cases, young people haven't had very long to truly get to know their partners. Marrying someone after only knowing him or her for a year ends in divorce more often than not. The first reason is significantly more important, though. In 5 or 6 years, people who married young often find that the person they are with, as well as they themselves, are not the same people they were when they got married. Young people are still maturing, growing, and changing. Something you like about your partner might bug you in a few years. Your partner might grow out of something you like about him or her. Just too many things change to be truly sure that you will continue to love and cherish that person. Make sure your relationship withstands the test of time before marriage.

• I would say because not only is it rare nowadays for marriages to last forever.. but...
    even 50 years ago people would marry for sake of moving out of their youth into life as a married adult... and ussually the man & wife either werent completely mentally prepared... or they really didn't really know each other that well... and ussually became not much more than roomates playing house.

• lol they're stupid. Divorce happens regardless. Might as well YOLO it.

• because people are ignorant.. marrying young gives you a great chance to build and grow together... why its so important to start a career and becoming jaded via pump n dumps is beyond me

• Everyone I know that married before the age of 24 has gotten a divorce. I think people in their late teens and early twenties are still finding themselves. So that young married couple may be at complete odds with each other down the road.

• You miss an awful lot when you marry young, But you also miss a lot if
    you marry too old. I can't say what the right age is. There's pluses and minuses either way.

• most people canĀ“t believe that you are that lucky to find a partner for live at a young age :D

• In modern culture it is encouraged to go to college and established a career first. Getting married generally gets in the way of those goals.

What Girls Said 3

• I think most people assume that young people are too immature to make that kind of decision. Prove them wrong ;]

• They say that people young people typically are immature, haven't developed their characters fully, and rush into things. 50% of the weddings I've been to the last two years between young people have resulted in divorce.

• Peoples personal mistakes is what i think it is. I am also a young wife and have had many people tell me i am too young. But as i look at who is telling me it is mostly people who were in a failed marriage at a young age. or know someone who was in a failed marriage at a young age, which is big right now. But if you feel it's right then you have to make your own decision regardless of what people think. Best of luck to you :)