Do you guys think that getting married at 19 is too soon?

My GF has a University friend who lives with these 3 guys. One of them got married to a girl R yesterday after only 1 year of knowing each other. For religious reasons they haven't had sex (until yesterday presumebly) ...

I know it's none of my business, and I wish them all the best, but it does make me feel it was a bit rushed.

I love my girlfriend, a lot, but I don't see myself marrying her in a year. I mean, it could change, but I wouldn't allow myself to get even get engaged at such a young age. I think 3-5 years is when you should be thinking of marriage - depending on your age obviously.

What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't, but I know people who have. a lot of people who're religious get married quickly so they can have sex. Sometimes they're encouraged by their minister to "at the end of a yr of dating, get engaged or break-up" because they believe that at the end of a yr a couple should know (I think this a dangerous, sure a couple of experienced adults may know, but at 19?); also they're encouraged to do it if they're finding that they can't control themselves around their partner.

• That first line is true about why some religious people get married, its understandable in a way, but rarely discussed. +1 for honesty.

• Didn't Jesus give us the power of free will? I don't get why we have to follow someone who claims to be a worker of the Almighty --- sincerely, an agnostic catholic.

• Yes He did.
      It's not the minister/priest/pastor you're following, it's God, those other guys are just messengers (sometimes misguided).

What Girls Said 9

• That's too young to get married. I don't know how anyone could have kids that young either.

• That is too early. All the couples I know that married or engaged that young all broke up.

• Generally speaking it is too young.

• Thats too young, but my parents married each other when my mom was 18 and my dad 20 and still they are together some marriage lasts longer or life time.

But me, I wouldn't marry anyone at age 19 or so I just wanna live first and by that I don't mean sleeping around or stuff, just enjoying the life

• Well their generation was quite different from ours you see... my gf's parents married pretty quickly after knowing each other and are quite clearly strong today. I just think nowadays there is a lot more pressure on us to succeed in things like careers rather than get married and create a family of our own.

• honestly i think it depends on the people! my best friend meet the best person for her and she just got married to him and she's 19.

• Yes, I think. It seems that is a rushed marriage and most people aren't ready to marry at this age.

• I think it depends on a person's mentality. Some people are ready at getting married at a younger age since their families are supportive, the culture is that way, and financialy they are stable.

• yup. live a little first dude

• I'm not the one who got married, nor am I thinking of getting married either.

• oohhh yeah okay... i just read the question not the info. yeah i agree they rushed into it - they maybe should have waited a few years... no harm in waiting if they're the person you're going to spend the rest of your life with right?

• Yeah exactly :)

• Yeah it's to young
    There are too many people out there

What Guys Said 2

• I feel the same way, its none of my business when others get married, but I personally think its rather young and rushed since at 19 you still have a lot of living to do, but as emzy-89 said people who are devotedly religious will sometimes get married to the first person of their faith that they get a crush on. Lets be honest, religious or not who wants to remain abstinent until their 35?

But I agree its usually best to have your fun first, gain some life experience and perspective on what you truly want in life before making such a life changing decision as marriage.

Most people I know my age (26) are not the same person they were at 19. It may not sound like a huge difference but you would be surprised what a difference a few years or more out in the world can make and change your whole outlook on life.

• I totally agree: even in 5 years your character will change pretty dramatically; I know mine has.

• Its crazy isn't it? What a difference just a few years can make. Heck my priorities in life are a lot different now than they were when I was 21 even.

• Its too soon for me I dont know about everybody else, but I would say that I think its something that needs to be thought about long and hard especially at that age because feelings change and they can change very quickly when we are young.

• It's not just 'feelings' that change, it's more often not, the people who change. I don't know you're exact age, but you won't be the same person you were when you were 18 when you're 28 for example.