Why are some people against gay marriage?

I heard that it's mostly the religious people who are against it but why do they care? I understand that it's against their reliegion but it's not like they are involved in homosexuality. What about the other people who are against it?

I am not gay but personally I support gay marriage cos they should be allowed to do what they want and it's not causing anyone any harm.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because it's against the traditions of the church, it's fine to tolerate civil unions but gay marriage in a church is unfair to the church. You don't have priority over everything just because you're gay.

Do you think they would let you buy KFC and then eat it in McDonald's? It's the same thing.

• What do you mean by 'civil union'? Is that different from a marriage by a justice of the peace? Is it different from a marriage between athiests?

What about churches that permit gay marriage?

Are you simply saying that churches shouldn't be obliged to perform gay marriages, or are you saying that the government should name unions between gay people something different because some though not all churches wouldn't perform them?

• I don't see why it shouldn't happen but at the same time I don't see why it should be forced upon people who don't want it to.

• Well kheserthorpe, I wouldn't choose to be with any church but yes I think nobody should be obliged to permit gay marriage if it is against their traditions but at the same time don't object to them being legally recognized. I think we should be fair to both sides.

What Guys Said 7

• It's not just the religion but the society also which are against gay marriages. Personally i think everybody has a right to choose their partner of whichever gender. If I keep religions aside, then most of the people think that marriage is supposed to be between different genders coz obviously they can reproduce then. Although if u notice then i suppose same gender sex has been there in our midst from the times of kings/queens. Marriages were not approved even then but it was used for the pleasure by high ranks. Hetrosexual is a more straight and justified but no one is supposed to interfere in someone else sexual interest. by the way i think gay marriage is good way to control the population. It could be also a little bit hard to raise a kid by gay parents, not in all cases though. It's like a grey area... u can just be black or white with that question.

• I'm not defending their position but it breaks down to a few points:

1) Homosexuality is a sin as described in the Bible.
    2) Marriage is a covenant between two people before God. God created man and women to be together. Therefore it should not be engaged in by those of the same sex.
    3) Heterosexual marriage has been the standard for thousands of years.

• Yea I get that but it's kinda none of their business. Plus gays are still gonna be dating and having relationships even if gay marriage is not legal so why bother? It makes no difference, marriage is just a legal statement

• And... there is probably some justification for that worry!

• There certainly is. I support government getting out of marriage, but my only caveat is that under no circumstances should a church be forced to perform marriages.

• I dont support it.. the image of two doods maken out infront of meh is quite disturbing and disgusting.
    If they dont make out in pubs, than im fine with it.

• Being gay and making out in public is legal regardless. So is buying a house together and having sex all the time.

The only question is whether they can become legal spouses with the benefits and responsibilities associated with it.

• Then don't look, damn. Are gay people not allowed to love each other just because you think it's gross? That's pretty immature logic.

• How can i just be looken down, behind me, and to the side all the time? I gotta keep my head up up and facing straightforward cuz thats more comfortable. And yes it makes meh wanna throw up >.>
      Guys on guys is a nono but gurls on gurls is a yes yes lel

• I'm not a fan of gay sex but it really is none of my business, so I'm all for it.

• I'm always surprised when people support anal sex, but are against it if two guys are involved. I find it hypocritical. I know you did not say that, I just figured I'd mention.

• the only thing that confuses me about gay marriage is if there's a divorce who get's half of the other person's life? stuff.

gays should have to suffer through the same thing strait people do when it comes to getting married. so I'm all for it. lol

• To be honest, the splitting is a delicate question even in a heterosexual marriage.

• from my understanding in a heterosexual marriage 80% of the time the woman will get half of what a man owns.

• Their religion tells them to hate the people who are different. If someone else is happy, it makes them unhappy.

• That's interesting, because Christianity says to love and tolerate everyone, as God accepts everyone even if they sin, and it is God's job to judge?

• Yea the bible is kinda confusing

• Tell that to the Westboro Baptist Church, let me know how you get on.

• Money. The reason most states have not legalized it, keyword, legal, meaning, money, is because it comes down to money. There are certain complications with gay marriages when it comes to money. That's why most states haven't legalized it. Figure out those money complications, and you have your legalization, most likely

What Girls Said 6

• Well, I'm religious (Christian) and I don't care about homosexuals or gay marriage. Some religious people may dislike it because the traditional concept of "marriage" includes one man and one woman united by God, or the Holy Spirit. These people seem to think that gay people should just stick to domestic partnerships. However, legally speaking, married people get way more benefits and protections than people simply in a domestic partnership. They are much different.

But anyway, God loves everyone and, therefore, I should too, it's not my job to judge other people. I have gay friends and I don't care about their lifestyle. It's none of my business.

Some of the other arguments I have heard from people who are against it include gay relationships being "unnatural." Other people seem to only be against it because they think it's "gross." People who are personally against it want to make it illegal for everyone even though it has no effect on them. I don't see the reasoning behind this. Legalizing gay marriage won't make more people gay, it will have no effect on heterosexual people, so the people who don't like obviously will not be forced to engage in homosexual relationships. It just makes no sense to me.

• I am not gay, but have associated myself with friends who Are over the years. I am Not prejudice of Anyone, I even have a Muslim husband out in Egypt. Maybe this Does make me a liberal, however, don't care for what Obama is doing to our government. End of That story.
    However, I believe everyone, no matter what case, what situation, has a right to marry who they like. Even though I am a Christian, I wasn't brought up to Judge people, although I know it's a sin to God for homosexuality. In a way, I suppose I am between a rock a and a hard place when it comes to my values. xx

• It's really sad that today in this time people can't let other people be happy and be who they want to be. The way I see it is you don't choose who you love you don't choose the gender your attracted to. I understand the whole concept with religion and with out going down that road that's one of the bigger reasons I dislike religion. Some not all shame them because of their sexual preference and bully them into believing that are sinning. And it frustrates me... But as for everyone else religious or not just turn your head If you don't want to see it let love be love and let everyone marry the person they love. After all this is what marriage is about and in today's day and age were free people so why shouldn't everyone be free to share the same benefits and rights as a straight couple.

• I'll give an argument most people don't use. Separation of Church at State is what most people get angry about. Marriage is a religious ceremony and for the government to say that if a gay couple wants to be married in a church, the church can't refuse them. Which is against the beliefs of said church.

• I'm a christian, even though my religion is against it, I have no problem with two people in love wanting to get married. If you are a productive member of society, and show respect... I could give a crap about what you do with your personal life, in AND outside the bedroom.

• When I asked my mum about this she said ''Its just not natural, is it?'' which sucks, because you could use that argument against practically ANYTHING nowadays ><