Why do some people claim "marriage is dumb" just because they made stupid martial decisions?

I don't understand why I see a bunch of guys on the internet insulting married couples (especially towards married men) merely because the insulter's relationship didn't work out the (according to them) ratchet, lazy, gold-digging, belligerent, floozy they marry.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 13

• I'm sure they didn't feel it was a bad decision at the time, but many men are pressured into marriage by women and then these women end up initiating the divorces anyway. There are women who will go as far as to buy a used pregnancy test off of craigslist to trick their partners, or even poke holes into condoms to purposefully get pregnant so he'll pop the question.

These are obviously extreme scenarios but nowadays, divorce is a huge industry in itself and many kids are even growing up in divorced households or being raised by single moms. Plus, since women typically only marry men who earn more then them we constantly see men getting screwed by the court system. Look at how many women act "offended" when the guy says prenup. The more hysterical she gets the more she was actually looking at his money then who he is as a person. With so many people claiming relationships are about the person's "personality" and all that stuff, what they don't see are motives underneath the surface truly moving the couples toward or against each other. Marriage is insanely influenced by finances.

• Because divorce laws shouldn't be the way they are in the first place. A gold digger shouldn't be allowed to legally steal a man's stuff and be awarded stupid amounts of alimony, but they are. That's why it's dumb. Tell them they should have made better choices in partners all you like, it's still dumb. Plus it's pretty dumb to think that gold diggers are going to show their true colours at first and scare the guy away instead of acting like decent women who'd never do such a thing.

• Why do so many people claim they "no longer trust men" after a single guy breaks up with them? :P

Same "logic".

• naturally, you are biased, if you made bad experiences. people allways act influenced by their own live. so i think you pretty much have the answer in your question.

• Bitter envy.

• Unless the tax are higher in your country for married couples ( heard about it one TV ) there is not reason to actually not marry. Besides , it sounds Fancy to say husband and wife lol

I find that when people say they don't want to pay for divorces its like they are saying I'm not sure my relationships will last in the long run or I don't trust my partner in the long run

• People can be very small-minded sometimes, and they fail to see that a MASSIVE world is out there, and it's not subject to their own personal biases. It's that simple, really.

• Plenty of people out there that dislike marriage and have never been married.

• The answer to that question is related to the FACT that majority of the people in the Western society and 99% of the people in GAGville think it is perfectly normal and permissible to have relationships without being married.

• Most of us live in countries where arranged marriage isn't typically practiced.

• To the original answer: I don't see how that excuses them to be such assholes about it.

• Agreed 100%.

• I think marriage is dumb and I haven't married anybody.

• but on the other hand if unmarried people insult marriage, theyre accused of not having the experience. can't win.

• Marriage is dicey at best. There is a 50% divorce rate, and 30% more want to divorce, but don't because of finances or kids. That wakes 80% of marriages unsuccessful. That is a dismal rate for such an important contract. And by contract, that is exactly what it is. You need lawyers and court to dissolve it, costing tens of thousands of dollars. Not to mention all the hostilities. It is a losing proposition in the majority of cases. Many of the women suck guys in just to be taken care of., then take everything in the divorce. The guy is left with nothing. He loses his house and savings. I know of a guy that his girl got pregnant on purpose, he married her, then she cheated on him. He moved out and the divorce cost him $80,000US

• 1). To be more specific, 33% of FIRST marriages end in divorce.
      2). 80% does not equal 100%.
      3). Marriage, I think to most people's surprise, takes a lot of effort from both parties to make work. If you don't marry young, don't cheat, don't make bad financial choices, and make compromises, chances of divorce significantly decreases. That's the #1 thing I think need to acknowledge there are REASONS a lot of marriages don't work out.

• You are mostly correct. They made bad choices and marriage was dumb for them.
      Many get into it quite uniformed. Marriage can work for those dedicated to it, which few seem to be

• marriage is a dumb financial decision for men. Women like you are pretty biased, because the more men you get to suck into signing those marriage documents, the better it is for you.

- from a never married user

• "marriage is a dumb financial decision for men."
      If you worry about your money in a marriage, you either:
      Didn't get a prenup (unlike, smart people who do)
      Married a gold digger (which is also something smart men DON'T DO)

Again, this all falls into responsibility of INDIVIDUAL. Smart men know how to evade that situation, but you don't think men in general are smart enough to evade such silly things.

• I learned that some of you make really stupid decisions in who you choose as a mate, so yes. I believe the MRA would still exist because the majority of them are just overgrown boys who can't good decisions. I've talked to many MRA members and 100% of them are bitter bigots.

• if you say so

What Girls Said 0