Is it necessary to keep former surname after getting married? What do you think about it?

Just a curiosity actually. I am not marrying or sth.

Is it essential to keep your former surname after getting married? Or do you plan not to keep it?

What do you think? Feel free to comment.

To me, I don't care even a little. I have two name and one surname. I can give up just because of practical reasons.

Most Helpful Guy

• Pick one name and go with it. Whether you take your spouse's name or keep your maiden name. The hyphenated names are getting out of hand. What if John Smith-Williams marries Jane Jones-Johnson? If they have a kid, would he be Billy Smith-Williams-Jones-Johnson? And what if THAT kid marries a girl with the same situation? Mary Smith-Williams-Jones-Johnson-Brown-Matthews-White-Anderson? Good luck fitting that on any forms you have to fill out...

What Guys Said 6

• I don't think it's necessary for the woman I marry to take my name, but I'd like her to want to.

I like that feeling, like she takes my name and becomes MINE. It might be a little old-fashioned, but that's just my preference.

• I think it depends on the couple. For me i would like my future wife to take my last name. I only know one guy who took his girls name and it was a work thing. For most girls reluctant to get rid of their last name they just add it onto it. Example a girl named jane star marring jon smith becomes jane star smith. I know quit a few women who have done that.

• Haha, if you manage to really understand the new regulations on the subject here in Belgium let me know.
    I've simply stopped thinking about it.
    However just seeing and hearing how much attention that totally useless discussion got in the press and from politicians, I know why we have such an awful lot of politicians to pay!

• Is it necessary? Not really. I mean women aren't property so if they don't want to change their name them don't. Nothing about the relationship will change or the amount if love between the couple. Do or don't, they choice is really hers. I think it's cool when women do but I know there's a lot of paperwork involved to change a name so it's understandable if someone doesn't wanna change it

• My mom hyphenated it

• Once the girl marries she is allowed to keep her husbands name, but she can also choose to go back to her old name.

In either case it has to be changed on all official documents, and most people are too lazy to change that.

What Girls Said 9

• In the USA, it's up to the individual. When I had married my husband out in Egypt, I was very surprised that I wasn't allowed, as his wife, to carry his last name. That's the way they do things out there, whether I would be a Muslim or Christian girl. xx

• You are not allowed to carry his last name? That is super interesting. I have never heard about it.

• Hahaha I can imagine :D

• I spent the remainder of the so-called 'Honeymoon' with the family And HIM explaining to me in Arabic Why... lol)) xx

• yes i'll keep it... it my familial heritage after all

• A woman can keep her maiden name if she wants. A lot do it for professional reasons too, like they are academics who have been published under that name or they're known by it in their field. So in that case it's about consistency.

A lot of women take their husband's name though, and that's what I'm doing. Just pick one name and stay with it, like Steve said. The hyphenation trend is so ridiculous now.

• I think it's sounds nice to keep the former surname and add the new one, longer names just sound better to me. But I personally do not like my maiden name so I'll probably end up ditching it.

• I would never change my name after marriage.

• When and if I get married I would change my name not because of tradition but because I think it's a nice way to show that you kind of belong to someone and that you loved them enough to take on a new name for them. However If I was established in my job I would keep my ladt name In that aspect of my life to avoid hassle professionally

• I will probably keep mine and add my future husband so it will be my last name with a hyphen and then his.

• I took my husband's name. I believe in traditional roles.

• I shall be keeping my name when I get married.