What's your opinion on men staying home taking care of the house while the wife brings home the bacon?

Where already at the point to where both the husband and wife bring home the bacon compared to just 50 years ago. So do you think the role in marriages will reverse to the point that the wife brings home the bacon while the husband takes care of the house.

• Yes I do beleive we will get to the point of women bringing home the bacon while the husbands takes care of the house.
  • It will never get to the point of the husband taking care of the house and the wife bringing home the bacon.

Most Helpful Girl

• what are you on about "will happen"? This already is happening and it's great, dad's now get a chance to spend those early years bonding with the kids and women get a chance to be a grown up independent person again. Breaking down gender roles is beneficial for both sides.

• Gender roles are actually important, but whatever.

• Tincan, women here seam to like it. And there are other gender roles to be broken, more on the dating/love side.

• this is very true of here too... being able to support a family with just one person working is becoming an impossibility. It's ridiculous though because people are basically earning a wage to pay for childcare... crazy! Plus, I don't think it will become the norm because generally (and I do mean generally) women want to stay at home with the kids and men like being the breadwinner.
      @tincan, yeah, women do have boobs for a reason, not all men have upper body strength! if we're defining people by these qualities then you aren't a man unless you are stronger than a woman... And that's just bull. Physical differences are physical differences, they vary from man to man and woman to woman. we're talking about gender roles which have been created by society, not by pure nature. I'm quite upset that you think a man can't do as good a job as a woman in raising a child. It's sad that you feel the need to be defined by your gender and it's traditional stereotyping.

What Girls Said 10

• I work as a nanny for a couple where the wife has always worked and the husband was a stay-at-home dad to the kids until the youngest turned 5. Then he got a job as well and I babysit the kids and do the housework while he's at work, until he comes home to look after the kids again. His wife works longer hours than he does. His wife still has a role in parenting, of course, but her husband has the greater role. Personally, I don't think it's been that good for the kids; in particular, the little boy was used to his dad doing everything for him, so when I got there I had the job of teaching the 5 year old to dress himself, wipe his bum, put on his seatbelt, carry his own schoolbag, etc. He doesn't have a developmental delay or anything (I know because I've done studies in developmental delays) he was just lazy. Plus the kids were used to their iPads babysitting them, so it took awhile to draw them to do better activities with most of their time.

I'm merely sharing my experience. I'm sure there are good fathers out there who don't enable laziness in their children or let them get addicted to technology.

• That is actually a pretty hard task even if you look at it objectively and conceptually.

• I'd say that's more just lazy parenting than an actual direct effect of having a father stay home and not a mother. Plenty of women who can't look after kids and plenty of men who have been doing an amazing job all on their own.

• As I said in the last paragraph, I'm sure there are plenty of good fathers out there. I was merely sharing my experience. And I know there are plenty of bad mothers - I've babysat their kids.

• It depends of who want to take care of the kids and who is strategically making the better pay. Say the mother is a doctor and the father is a mechanic, who do you think will provide for the kids' future in stability?
    As long as they are good mothers and fathers, it isn't an issue.

• The guy must be really rich to allow the wife to stay at home, cooking, cleaning and rearing children.

• I don't suspect it will reverse to where it was in the 50's and further back but I think many couples will choose this lifestyle. To each their own. I'm more traditional myself

• i think it's great i loved my childhood with my dad at home for parts of it

• I think its fine but i know men will feel girly just doing that. They need a job so they could feel like a provider. Its been proven that men live shorter lives if they are the stay at home type. But if he has no problem with it than fine.

• Not my ideal marital situation but if others want to do that, kudos

• I have no problem with it but I'd prefer us both working.

• No I don't that'll ever happen. Unfortunately we live in a society where men are typically paid more than women so it would make more since for the man to be the working spouse.

• That is true only if they get a job if the same tier, it is possible for a male to be a fast food worker while the female is a Web designer

• @TheLastGirlScout Men will likely never stay at home on the same scale that women stay home. I'm not saying that there are no stay at home dads, but it isn't anywhere near being the "norm" and likely never will be.

• @Mesonfielde yes that's true but most people tend to marry people who have similar economic status as them.

• I voted A. Well, as long as they take good care of their child then Its a good thing and its really cute seeing a father do the household.

What Guys Said 9

• I think the husband will take care of the cleaning and any children/pets while the wife works all day.
    only thing after that is the husband still won't be able to give her a "to do list" because he'll still have to fix broken things around the house.

• I mean, I think it's possible, but I still highly doubt that it'd become the norm (in the way that it was the norm for women to stay home, men are the breadwinners).

• I'm shocked that this is so alien to many of you, I know quite a lot of instances where the men stay and look after the kids and the women go back to work... And that's only people I know, there's millions I don't know!

• Honestly I prefer it that men work and women stay home. Sure men can clean and cook but there is no substitute for a mothers love for a child in the early stages of life. And women are naturally far more capable of taking care of children.

• It's not bad... what's your problem?

• Reversal won't happen, but the option is actually already here. As long as it is financially feasible, there isn't really anything wrong with it if the two people of the marriage reach a consensus about it.

• In some aboriginal communities such a system exists and if it happens with me then i might consider as my dream come true..

• It shouldn't be like that, men are supposed to be men. But the society goes with what women think its cool and acceptable for a man so...

• id love to stay home and not have to work. I'd have no problem with that!

• Nope, not a chance.

Firstly, women as a gender will never be able or willing to assume the primary responsibility of "bringing home the bacon". They say they want to but their actions show they don't.

Secondly, women will never respect men who stay home full time to take care of kids and the home.