What is an example of "heroic love" that you yourself have personally witnessed or experienced?

I was at a meeting at church a few weeks ago. There's a guy in my group who's not much older than I am. A couple of years ago, his wife slipped into a VERY severe depression. It was so bad that she had to quit her job and he had to either cut short or cancel several work-related trips to tend to her. He also had to take her to the hospital and even a specialist a couple of times.

To make things even more complicated, they'd had a baby around the time that all this started, so he had both his wife and his daughter to care for in addition to working.

This went on for about a year or two (I don't remember exactly how long). I remember feeling very inspired by his sharing. I told him that I felt that he demonstrated what I call "heroic love" because of all he endured in order to care for her and their daughter.

What is an example that you have seen? I'd prefer your stories to be in the context of a marriage/romantic relationship.

What Girls Said 1

• It's not "heroic love" its marriage, you know- "for better or for worse, until death do us part" A real Heroic move would have been to insist she see a doctor who specialized in Postpartum Depression because it sounds like that's exactly whats he had... poor woman. i sure hope they fared well in the end.

• Right, but in today's society, I certainly would call that heroic, even in a Christian marriage. And they determined that the depression stemmed from abuse she'd suffered as a child. They did fare well, though. She's much better now :-)

• @AnimeDreama: I don't think she's being cynical. It's in the wedding vows, that man and wife will stick with each other "for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health until death parts us." How many people don't live up to that?

@Anonymous: You are right though. The postpartum depression certainly didn't help either.

• @AnimeDreama, I wasn't being cynical, I just take my vows very seriously and wish others did as well. @BCRanger10, you are correct that in today's society it was more of a "heroic" move. I think that's what kind of bothers me... in a marriage that should be the norm not the exception. I'm very glad it all worked out for them.

What Guys Said 0