Is it a bad idea to get married at 21?

I am 18 years old and I am thinking about getting married at 21 years old. Is this a bad idea?

Most Helpful Guy

• You can have a goal to get married at a certain time. There is nothing wrong with that. Think long and hard about why you want to get married. Is it a good reason? Also do not be afraid to modify your goals. Marriage and weddings are a huge financial commitment as well. Be prepared for it. If it aligns with your beliefs, I highly recommend living with someone first for at least a year. You might love one another, but if you are gonna spend your lives together you better be compatible living together. Otherwise that will throw a massive monkey wrench in your relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• Go ahead. It's your life not anyone else's. It's you and your husband's life, not ours.

What Guys Said 11

• It all depends (on lots of things). No one can tell you for sure when it's right or wrong. But if you were my daughter I'd feel better if you were at least a little older than 21.

• Make sure you've lived together for a few years I guess, kinda young but not as bad as people who date for 3 months at 18 and get hitched haha.

• Not really a bad idea to get married at 21. It's really silly they you're planning it 3 years ahead, which is 1/6 of your life

• Thats just to young

• Personally I wish more people would try to act decent and get married instead of screwing around all their lives.

• It's just a bad idea to get married.

• ... because?

• It's unnecessary. It doesn't really do anything for either party except get them some tax breaks and make contributing to RRSPs easier. Divorce proceedings are often messy and drawn-out leaving one party close to financial ruin. Most couples after several decades of marriage are usually at eachother's throats half the time. I fail to see the necessity of marriage.

• Yeah I don't see the appeal either really, seems like one person can get seriously fucked over.

• Marriage is just a formal way to show that you're a couple that also reflects in society. There's really no reason not to do it if you want to get married.

• If you think that's bad, my dad's first marriage was at 17. It didn't work out, but at 21 if you are both prepared then it's okay. Usually people date at 21.

• IS NOT BAD IF YOUR STRONG ENOUGH TO HANDLE ALL MATTER CONCERNING MARRIAGE

• Probably, buttttt hey, girls were getting/still are pregnant at 14, way back then... what's to stop you from getting married at 21

What Girls Said 9

• I think setting a limit of when you should get married is a bad idea.

I think that getting married at 21 is a bad idea, but at that point I think it's more of a me thing. If you have a guy that you can spend the rest of your life with and it doesn't compromise your dreams go ahead. However things change so much in those 3 years, you could very well change you mind.

Get married when you're ready, not by age.(in this specific case because 18 is too young but we're not talking about that.)

• You can get married any time after 18 but I don't people are ready to have kids until they are around 26 years old but if you just want to get married - knock yourself out.

• I just think it's weird to even set goals like this... Life is very unpredictable, and most likely you won't be married by 21.. Things change, your feelings and outlook on life matures or at least alters a lot.. Especially from ages 18-21... You won't even be the same person really. Just enjoy your life and let matters of love unfold on it's own. It's more rewarding that way anyway.

• It's a bad idea to plan to get married at 21 when you're 18. That shit shouldn't even be a priority.

• Hum it's a little young but not super young. I'd suggest to keep your relationship as it is. It wouldn't hurt to wait a tad bit longer, you definitely don't want to regret it. Most people who get divorced are couples who got married too early.

• I think you should get to know each other more but if you know yourself better so if you think this is right then it is not a bad idea.

• No, it's not bad

• No. Marry whenever you feel you're ready. Just be sure that the person you're marrying is who you want to spend the rest of your life with. :)