Boyfriend's preference to de facto instead of marriage. What's the difference mentally between signing a marriage certificate or going de facto?

We only briefly brushed on the topic while discussing something else but this is what was said:

BEGINNING

Boyfriend:
You should also know that I don't believe in the concept of marriage.

Me:
What aspect of it? The way I see marriage is making our love official on paper.

Boyfriend:
Largely due to the religious background as well as the whole official on paper thing. Emotion being defined by government as ink on paper is a sad thing

END

From what I've found online there isn't a need for a wedding to sign the marriage certificate. Some people have gone as little as meeting a celebrant in a park, signing the paperwork and done, they're married.

What difference would there be to doing the above and going de facto?

There'll be a trial period of at least 6 months before we make any major decisions but I just want to find out the difference of signing the paperwork for de facto and signing a marriage certificate without a wedding.
They're both 'Emotion being defined by government as ink on paper'. So what makes de facto better than marriage? (All messiness of breakups aside)

Most Helpful Guy

• At your age, there's about a 50% chance or more that any marriage will end in divorce. Possibly more, depending on your education level (the chances are better if you have more qualification).

Marriage just leaves a bigger mess when it goes wrong.

What Guys Said 2

• Divorce in America is culturally devastating to men financially... a man can lose a significant amounts of his assets,

just because his wife wakes up one Day and says "I don't want to be married anymore".

• I think he's spelled it out pretty clearly. He doesn't like religion. And he doesn't like government involvement. I can understand that.

He doesn't want to sign anything. I think you misudnerstand that point.

What Girls Said 0