Define in one line: what is marriage?

Girls and guys, could you tell me in short what marriage means to you?

I don't know who to pick up as MH because everybody was amazing! So I picked the craziest one :P
Key words for marriage: ultimate commitment, sacrifice, forgiveness, love, God

Most Helpful Girl

• When two people commit to spend the rest of their lives together :)

• Nice! You included the idea of "united until death", and so implying marriage is only one and divorce is unnaccptable.

• Right :) I don't believe in divorce as an option, once your in it's forever

Most Helpful Guy

• Marriage is struggle.
    Marriage is pain.
    Marriage is insufferable
    And all ends in vain.

It starts off idealistic
    But feelings soon fade
    And divorce is oft the end,
    Of marriages today.

So why, oh why
    Do so many tie a knot
    That can so easily be undone
    And vows so easily forgot?

Tis just a piece of paper
    That ties you in the eyes of the law.
    But the commitment that all seek
    Needs no paper at all.

So why would one betroth themselves to a sinking ship?
    I don't have the first fucking clue why.
    But I'll probably end up doing the same for reasons I'll never understand.
    People be so crazy sometimes.
    Love... making people do stupid things since time immemorial.

• Have you done by yourself right now? Not a Shakespeare but decent haha

What Girls Said 13

• For me marriage is the sign of ultimate commitment and shows two people making a formal promise in front of friends and family to love each other forever and to stay faithful.

Of course not everyone follows through with that though.

• I liked when you said about "ultimate commitment". Marriage i think is a very important issue, maybe the most important in our lives

• For me marriage has always been about a symbol of commitment above anything else. Like yeah some people say it's about benefits or money.. nah. For me it's about commitment :) And you're right, it is important. If you take your vows seriously then it will be something that will change your life forever.

• Yeah... If we take vows of marriage seriously your world will become upside down! Or maybe the opposite, fix your world from upside down to straight!

• A marriage is a partnership of trading who gives and who takes, to build a better life for each other.

• Simple and nice! So you focus in the practical sense of marriage right?

• Thank you.

• You are welcome. Young people should think in marriage like you, that's why you are blessed.

• -Marriage is a commitment between 2 people.
    -Marriage is the sweetest sacrifice a person can do for love.
    -Marriage is the biggest decision in your life
    -Marriage is something for people with a big sense of responsibility
    -Marriage is something I'd like to experience someday :)
    -Marriage is... the main reason for... divorce...

• Marriage is an ultimate binding of two people making a promise to everyone around them that they will continue to love each other and be loyal to one another.

Although, it is commonly rushed among couples, and is quickly torn apart between those who are truly not "in love" with one another.

• star-crossed lovers ☆彡

• a divine relationship between 2 people - a unity of not just 2 people but 2 families

• Hi arabian! Why did you include 2 families?

• Islam says to treat your elders with respect - and I think its my culture that says your in laws are like your parents treat them with respect. But Islam also must teach this because our Prophets son in law treated him with respect etc

• Oh I see. Japanese culture had a bit of it too.

• Marriage is a union of two people who love each other and are willing to make sacrifices for the benefit of a relationship.

• I liked when you included the idea of sacrifice of oneself for the sake of the relationship. You think marriage is somehow a burden?

• So marriage is above all a choice: it's not something as "emotions have ceased" excuses divorced people do

• Yes. You either commit, or you don't commit. It all comes down to a choice: Do or don't.

• Marriage is the halfway point of religion

• I like that line. Why halfway point of religion?

• Interesting redz123. Are you muslim?

• HAHAH no. My Co worker is Muslim and the day you posted this was the day we had a conversation about marriage. LMAO wow we learn something every day didn't even know it ment it like that. Very interesting. Im filipino.

• A legal contract between two consenting adults (ideally) that sets certain rights and obligations within and possibly after the partnership for both.

Religions have their own official definitions of it, but I'm not qualified to recite any of them properly.

• An excuse to have a wedding... says my inner girly girl... :D
    Im like really single, what's love again?

• What is love? This "Love is always patient and kind; love is never jealous; love is not boastful or conceited, it is never rude and never seeks its own advantage, it does not take offence or store up grievances. Love does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but finds its joy in the truth. It is always ready to make allowances, to trust, to hope and to endure whatever comes."

• I was joking haha I hope someone is cheesy enough to bring up that poem at my wedding though, there is always that someone with that poem right?

• Hahaha a poem! You can take as one! :) so as long as that someone enjoys the compilation of God's poem, yeah i hope it happens in your marriage!

• a faithful bounding between you and an other person and to be a pert of his life for eveer

• mystery to me

• Two Words: A Trap!

• So young yet haha can't believe you think that if you have never experienced marriage before

• I never said it was but personally I'd rather avoid all of the confrontation and skip the heartache.

• If you live life just trying to avoid pain, I'm afraid you can never get a chance to know Love.

What Guys Said 11

• Marrage is devotion and the willingness to always find a compromise to further th relationship

• Marriage is the bureaucratic pact which indicates your monogamous intent for the remainder of your lives, and thus not choosing another person over your partner no matter what circumstance.

• "The only relationship that qualifies as a relationship in eyes of God and in the eyes if a moral society".

• In other words, the only sexual relationship which is qualified as truly human.

• You can say that. :) the way I look at it, physical relationship outside marriage still keeps you as a human in eyes of God who will judge you AS a human.

I'm sorry for bringing God in this but that's the fact. Majority here takes pride in rejecting God so they will never agree with me. I don't want them to. To them, their own.

• Marriage is trust, love, forgiveness, and sacrifice.

• It's a merger of not just the 2 individuals but of the 2 families, you should look towards the virtues of your partner when you look to marry and not just looks.

• The religous ceremony of bring to people together as man and wife.

• Others saying: Long Term Prostitution

• Marriage is a microcosm of society..

• Why you think that?

• IF you look at wide picture of society what we encounter is set of rules, beliefs, characters and individual striving for a better life.. this is also a role of marriage...

• So for you, it's something like a way to be happy in a midst of rules and beliefs that limits the individual's will?

• It is a certificate to do sex and live together

• You need to marry in order to get sex? In what world do you live?

• Marriage is a trap

• A ball and chain...