Would you give up your religion for the person you love?

I don't mean stop believing but stop practicing? And the opposite question, would you convert to a religion for the person you love?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would not do either. With that being said I also wouldn't push it on a girlfriend to convert either. The way I see it is we can talk about it... the differences between religions and what not
    If I were to be asked to convert I would politely say No and ask if they would like to convert to my religion..(most likey knowing their answer would also be no) My suggestion would be why not try going to each others services or a little bit or whats the harm in both keeping your religions and going to the service on your own?

What Guys Said 5

• I could careless, I don't believe in religion. I'm more spiritual. I use my logic and reason. My love would know better than that to ask me to convert into a religion. To me that seems like whatever her religion is, is on the same level as our love, sex and relationship. I don't see religion and our relationship on the same level. My relationship with her is waaaay more important and very much real than what any book can surmise in telling me what's supposedly real. However, I would NOT stop her from believing nor practicing her religion that's her choice I would support her decision. But I would not only find it disrespectful but very distrusting that she would put the burden on me to choosing her religion in order to love her. That's just me, everyone else is difference and are free to choose whatever they want.

• What would you do if she did ask you to follow her religion?

• Just as an example- say you are Christian and she is Jewish. She wants you to be Jewish, and to live a Jewish life style. Would you convert?

• No I would not.

• I ain't converting to anything, I came to the conclusion that pretty much matches deism myself, and I sure as hell won't start making sacrifices of goats or just praying to an entity who in my opinion honestly doesn't care, with good reason. Most people would probably feel the same about the ways they have been indoctrinated with, though.

• No. Mine is important to me. OTOH, she can probably have whatever religion she likes, as long as we do not conflict too much.

• I believe in what i believe... nothing can change my relationship with god... and he has blessed me with someone that i can share that with! :D

• What if that wasn't the case- just as example- what if you are Christian and your girl is Jewish. What happens when both of you want the other to change to their religion? Who wins?

• Convert? Nope.

• So you'd end the relationship?

• If they pushed the issue. I can be with someone of different religion. Pushing it on me is a no go.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm somewhere in between agnostic and atheist and would not convert to a religion for someone I loved. And if they truly loved me, they wouldn't ask me to. To simply convert because it would please someone else is also a terrible reason to convert, and definitely not at all the spiritual, enlightening experience it should be. However, I'm all for exploring different religions and learning so if someone I loved asked me to explore a religion with them, I certainly would. In general, I find I don't get into relationships with highly religious individuals because it definitely can be a source of complications and frustrations.

• No. My religion is not just some thing that I turn off. God is not just some disposable aspect of my psyche.
    No, I would not convert to a different religion for the one that I love because I believe that would be disrespectful to my God and all the beautiful blessings he has put in my life.
    If the one I loved truly loved me back, they wouldn't ask me to make such a massive sacrifice.

• Would you want your partner to switch to your religion then?

• No, I think that's a really selfish, greedy thing to ask someone to reverse over 2 decades or so of a major part of their life just for me. I find that to be really self-absorbed and slightly tacky. I would never ask that.

• God is a "she".

• I'm not religious, but I sure as hell would not convert. Religion gives people comfort, and that's okay, but I don't need that kind of comfort, I rejoice in my skepticism. I wouldn't practice the religion without believing, either, it would be downright disrespectful towards its followers.

• If they asked me to do that it would be a no. Love is about respecting someone for who they are and accepting them for who they are. A person should be supportive of his/her partner's beliefs. Religion isn't a huge deal to me but I still want to be able to believe what I want to.

• I wouldn't get into a relationship with a religious person in the first place so it wouldn't be an issue.

• nope i won't
    my religion is important to me and i dont talk about religion to people so there shouldn't be a conflict

• No I dont want to make him do things he isn't comfortable with. Beside religion is sensitive topic I wouldn't want it to come in between us.