Why don't people get married anymore?

Is it because they can get sex for free? I think so.

When you are married, you are supposed to be with your spouse for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health till death do you part...

Are people just lazy? Just curious. My parents have been married for almost 40 years now... and they are still going strong. Lots of classmates of mine had step parents and some of my extended family members have split up their marriage.

Relationships are hard, I get it, so I guess the motto of the new generations are that if something goes wrong, then they're out? I know that people cheat, is that why? That's really sad in my opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• Its because back then when something went wrong you would fix it. nowadays you throw it away and get a new one. its the same with relationships its quite sad. And since the divorce rate is so high people feel like if they get married its going to end bad. And some people say that marriage was when it all started to go wrong Also when a childs parents divorce that child may not want to get married because they think the same thing might happen. you could say its being "lazy" but thats society for you nowadays. People don't stick to their vows. Its quite sad.

What Guys Said 8

• You can blame the legal system and the law-makers for a lot of it. and probably feminism too.
    Almost 40% of wives will divorce their husband, or want him to file for divorce. About 44% of first marriages end in divorce, and it's usually of the wife's choosing.
    She doesn't need a reason thesedays to end a marriage and take most of the assets. Often enough, husbands aren't even given a reason.
    What man would want to take on those odds, knowing that it makes no difference how much his wife loves him at the beginning?

With the internet, even more men are becoming aware of this. They could also be aware that 50% of wives have fallen out of love at the 4 year mark, and even sex stops. A lot of those wives will end up being the ones who divorce their husband. In most cases, it has nothing to do with how good a man their husband is, and he could be a better man than ever. Only 20% of wives will still show their husband any physical affection, by 20 years into a marriage.

If women took their part of the deal more seriously, men might be more interested. For most men it's only a trap which will cost them most of their life's earnings. If they expect affection in return, most will be more than disappointed even if their wife doesn't divorce them.

• Men love women.
      Women love children.
      Children love guinea pigs.

The guinea pig wins, and no-one loves the man. He just pays for the whole show.

• Divorce is a bad financial deal for men. It's not financially prudent for many of them

• Too expensive; difficult to find right partner, society turning more toward technology and becoming less social.

• People still get married...

• Because weddings are expensive.
    Women are expensive in general
    And women produce offspring that are also very expensive
    So maybe that's why.

• 1. Is just saw wedding supplies at Walmart for cheap
      2. You are not financially responsible for a woman. You do it because you want to do it because you care about her /like her/love her, etc. not out of obligation certainly not, and if it was, that's not a good reason to be together.
      3. I know kids can be expensive but they are a long term commitment that can and WILL pay off soon. Plus, a lot of women AND men think it's cute (at least at first I guess) when, their genes mix together and help take care of their "creation" together. like my parents. Raising kids can bond you more towards an important goal. Plus, it's no longer a requirement. Don't want kids? Get sniped!

• Lol you thought I was serious. Hahaha

Vegas Marriages for only $99 24/7 lmao

• I see it as a possitive trend.

• Well, it's the for "richer or for poorer" part. With the divorce rate so high, the women get richer & the men get poorer, always. It's a proven fact & men are just getting wiser. In 20 years marriage will be almost non existent.

• I know some who won't get remarried because of the cost of a divorce. They did it once, never again.
    Others came from broken homes and don't believe in marriage.
    Men often get the raw deal in a divorce.
    As far as sex goes, I don't by it. Don't believe what you've heard. Premarital sex has always been around.

What Girls Said 6

• I think its partly because of society, telling people more I think females that marriage makes them subjected to gender roles/male dominance. Of course this is not the case in all places, particuarly in religious areas or areas that follow old ways. In my country people still get married just later in age compared to the 1950's.

I personally want to get married and strongly believe in the values that you have listed. I don't see the point of sleeping around and the divorce rate differs in different places/cultures.

So yeah

• Nope, people are not just lazy, and it definitely isn't because people can "just get sex for free" (are we talking about marriage or prostitution?).
    I think as a society we are becoming more aware of the fact that marriage is now just a social construct or norm. You do not need to marry someone to know you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, this can be done without that piece of paper. Obviously, there is nothing wrong with getting married, but there is also nothing wrong with not getting married.
    I think the population needs to stop thinking of marriage as an achievement - because it isn't! It is a celebration of love between two people, not something to check off your list. I have never been the type of person who dreamed of getting married, and it definitely isn't one of my aspirations. If it happens, then it happens, but (in my eyes) I have much bigger aspirations than just being someone's wife and someone's mother.

• Weddings are expensive, and divorce even more so. More importantly, less people are religious now and see no point in it.

• 1. Weddings aren't expenisve that much if you are making enough money for them. See above
      2. Marriage wasn't supposed to lead to divorce. In Roman Catholic religion there was no such thing as divorce. It was only because of abuse or last resort. Separated yes, but it's free will.
      3. That's true, BUT those who ARE religious some how, I find that they have more luck in life or are happier. I could be wrong though. I still think marriage is good, both for the couple and the children (the family unit).

• I'm not a zealot! like I said, it's your life, if you want to ruin it or make it bad, that will be of your choosing. I'm just saying marriage secures things much better. I'm not a religious nut, just seen my parents marriage fair pretty good compared to others who's marriages dissolved over something stupid. It takes a lot of hard work and I agree with others, people are lazy these days and wanting instant gratification. Also, marriage is hard work so yeah, it may not be for you so you're doing the right thing then, just be careful who you are sleeping with and having sex with becuase you dont want to end up with an unwanted pregnancy and the guy is no where to be found.

• Well my parents are unhappily married, remaining together because of that commitment rather than end it and seek happiness. So its all relative.

• Because divorce rate is high and people are concerned whether theirs would end up that way, and also not everybody want to follow the normal cycle in life , i know i don't.

• You are free to defy society and it's laws though there will be repricussions for it, so just be careful and watch out. =)

• i dont understand why there will be repricussions

• It's more about money than sex.

People who were unhappy stuck together for financial reasons. The upper classes have been divorcing much longer.

But healthy relationships will still exist.

• People are more independent and don't need anyone else