Would you marry someone you're not physically attracted to?

So this question is for both guys and girls. Would you marry someone whom you are not physically attracted to just because you are reaching an age where the options are getting less. How important is physical attraction in the long run?

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't do it, don't settle for less.

You don't HAVE to get married at all. I mean would you rather be in a marriage everyday where you are thinking "I wish I had a more attractive husband".

Or would you rather be single and having all your options open until you finally run into the guy.

I have dated someone before who were overweight and whom I didn't find completely attractive physically-wise. But whose personality was great and am (on the one hand) happy that I didn't stay with them. But on the other hand am sad that I lost them...

• Why the mixed feelings? If you could turn back time would you still want to be with her?

• I rejected someone because of his being overweight. Now that I heard he's moved on and found someone else it makes me wonder if I made a mistake because he was a nice guy. Although when I look at him I'm still not attracted. It makes me wonder how important attraction is?

• Yea that feels exactly like my mentioned situation. Attraction for me at least is very important, it makes you want to kiss your partner a lot more.

If he is still overweight I think you made the right choice, but only you can find out what's right for you I guess.

What Guys Said 16

• i don't think I ever would sort of settle to the point of marrying someone I wasn't attracted to... so no

• no I would not. it would not be fair to her just as it is not fair to me. I have to be attracted to her completely.

• No, i could not ever do that to her because i would crush her completely and divorce at some point.
    If she is not attractive to me it means the first attractive girl who has a lot in common is obviously going to be so much better it would make me leave. Alternatively if she isn't attractive i might search the looks elsewhere and it could cause me to cheat.

All in all its a big no go and i avoid relationships with people i can't love 100% because i don't ever want any of the above to happen.

• No I would not that would a terrible thing to do to the other person to "settle" after all maybe they desreved someone better than you.

• No, I would not and as you (as a man) get older you options become greater. There are more nice single women as you get older.

• Physical attraction is important for me. I would rather be single than with a girl I didn't want to have sex with. I think if most people get in shape they won't have a problem.

• No I couldn't. I wouldn't want to and I don't think it's fair to her. I don't think any person would like it if their partner didn't find them attractive

• Nope. I wouldn't even consider it. Physical attraction is a must, just like a mental connection is.

• If you do that then your setting your marriage up for failure. attraction is KEY... unless your just there for the kids.

• of course, depending on yearly earnings, cooking skills, and what color car they drive

• Depends. Looks matter, but then I don't think I would. Would depend on the situation though.

• Nothing good comes from being rushed. Look at Sandra Bullock---pushing 50 and still unmarried

• No , I tired to twice it didn't work. For women it's easier. I just couldn't do it. I would just think all the time what am I doing. I wasn't happy rather be alone

• Pretty unlikely to happen since I never even go on a date with a girl I'm not physically attracted to.

• Sure, if she was super rich and let me date other women. Maybe she would be like a freak and habitually bring different hot women into bed with us every day. It would totally be worth it.

• No I won't marry someone who I'm not physically and - more mentally attracted to

But I did marry someone who I didn't want to get married to (don't ask me why - kind of difficult to explain) and it really didn't work out well - my sixth sense and judgment rarely fail lol.

What Girls Said 5

• No, that's not right. I understand that, at a certain age, it might be more difficult to get a partner. But still, it's better to be alone than married to someone who won't make us happy. I mean, what's the point?
    Physical attraction by itself isn't the most important thing in a relationship, but it matters a lot still. Even if the person isn't attractive, you will find her attractive because you love her - and that's all that matters.
    Same if you were going to marry an extremely attractive guy without loving him... it doesn't make sense, still won't make you happy.

• Well a guy doesn't have to be "hot" for me to be physically attracted to him. I can be physically attracted to an ugly guy if the ugly guy has a good personality. If you have no desire to sleep with him whatsoever because his personality isn't enough to make you "attracted to him" - when he is physically not appealing then you should not marry him.

• No I don't think so. I need to be attracted to him. I don't want to consume big words, but I really can't see myself in that scenario. I need someone whom I am connected with mentally and physically.

• I have to be physically attracted to a guy before I go into a relationship with him

• definitely important! if I don't feel physically attracted... it just doesn't last. the sex won't even be good if you're not physically attracted to that person.