Why do people still do arranged marriages?

So I am dating and I was talking to one of her sisters (we are both indian) and she was saying how she was fine with an arranged marriage if her parents ask her to. She has really low self esteem and has some skin problems as well. I just can't understand how she would be ok with it. Can you people tell me how she would come to that? by the way her parents are the older type that prefer the older ways and stuff.

Most Helpful Girl

• I honestly would not mind having an arranged marriage set by my mother. She knows what kind of guys a like and she is really good with relationship advice.

• See I mean I get that part but what if they are not the person that you thought they would be?

• hmmm I don't know, my mom is really good with knowing how a guy is. Like really good, she know whats best for me and trust her. I am not getting in an arranged marriage but I am open to it :p

• Thank you for Most Helpful :)

What Girls Said 5

• Control and the false idea of knowing what you get. Typically It is fine with the girls best interest in mind

• Perhaps, she thinks she's not able to choose a groom by herself. She thinks her parents will do a better choice. Or she's a traditional person like her parents.
    I have nothing against arranged marriages. It's something I wouldn't do to my children or to myself. But, I respect it, because I know that it has do to with culture and traditions.

• Well I don't mind having one myself -our parents know what's best for us. I still make stupid decisions -so such a big one I'd rather my parents make it. Also it's really romantic to know you're going to spend your life with someone you never met and gradually fall in love with them

• I have the opposite way of thinking because I don't want to spend my life with someone I barely know and marry them. That is my biggest concern with the arranged marriage...

• But really tho, what if he's not sumone ur physically attracted to? Luv is blind is it? x)

• It'll work out don't worry @keyspirits

• It blows my mind sometimes. To each his own, I suppose. Whatever makes that person happy, if they want an arranged marriage. There is no way I'd ever have one, I'd rather die. That is a huge decision and letting someone else make it for me? Yeah right. No, parents do not always know what is best for us.

• It's outdated and bound to not last.

• They do seem to last, no matter how miserable they are. There's family pressure for them to remain married, even if they are miserable.
      In India, it's estimated that 30%-40% of marriages are not even consummated within 2 years after the wedding. That's a sad reflection on physical affection in these marriages, but they still don't divorce.

What Guys Said 1

• I actually don't think I'd mind. I trust my parent's judgement, they know me well and know what I would want in a girl. Of course this is all hypothetical. But I could understand for the sister with low self esteem. Looks are the first thing people notice and have to be attracted to before taking any further steps in a relationship. If an arranged marriage forces someone to get over the looks of their partner then maybe that could be a good thing in some cases?