Why has marriage been on a decline the last century?

Early in 1900 the rate of marriage, people "tying the knot" was 94% By the 1960 that rate went down to 72%, and today the rate is 31%. Like to know from both gals and guys why this is so,

• No Mother F'**ing girl or guy gonna tell me what to do
  • It is better to live as unmarried cohabitating couples
  • I am selfish like that, there is plenty of fish going around, why settle?
  • It's the economy, stupid, when things get better for us

Most Helpful Guy

• My "wife" and I have been together for 17 years. We are not legally married, but common-law. We both feel marriage is just a social status claim for people to feel secure or some kind of self worth. We think it is a complete waste of time and money. We have had several other family members get married and had long engagements with big expensive weddings. We just think they are a waste. We would rather take twenty thousand dollars and buy appliances and furniture for a house, or buy a car, rather than have a 12 hour party that everyone else gets to enjoy but you! We love each other dearly, and being married or not won't change how we feel. Personally too, I think people work harder to maintain a relationship when they are not married because their partner technically can walk away any time. Many married couples seem to give up after a few years because now the marriage is legally holding them together and so now they don't have to try hard anymore. We all know where this leads!

• So you both are cohabiting couples. I am not saying it is wrong so long as remaining faithful to each other. To your other point, I did not factor cost of wedding in my question. You don't have to spend that much to get a marriage certificate. I value your opinion.

• We are very happy with each other and our situation. I am a lucky guy! My first exposure to weddings was when my girlfriend's brother got married. That was expensive, around $12,000. Then my sister got married and that was $20,000+. My brother go married and that one was around $11,000. That really turned us off. Yes, people can just go to the justice of the peace and for probably a hundred bucks get married. To me, that is the other extreme and literally just a piece of paper. If that is what some people need to feel connected, then so be it. To each their own! Good question!

What Girls Said 6

• I would say none of the above options on that poll. In the 1900s-50's it was just social norm to find someone to marry and have kids. Divorce rates were low because religion was much more prevalent and getting divorced or having children out of wedlock was an abomination. Divorce and having children out of wedlock is common and accepted now. There is a moral decline, people are more selfish than ever, it's all about me, me, me. Everyone else is beneath me and manners? What the hell are those? I don't like how things have changed. And I'm not ultra conservative but I am FOR humanity.

• I think there's a few reasons. One is that cohabitation and common law marriages have become more acceptable in society, so people don't feel the need to take that final step. The second is the abuse of no fault divorce laws. You don't even have to give a legitimate reason to your spouse when you divorce them anymore. The third is that the potential aftermath of divorce and the bias towards women is enough to turn some men right off the marriage thing. The fourth is that people no longer seem to want to put in the time, effort, and love into a marriage like they used to.

• Because marriage is miserable. I just want the kids, not the marriage.

• It is modern times.

• Because being single. Sleep arounf with to many you want being free not and slave is fun :)

• I think the trend is just moving to a no-strings-attached kind of deal.

I'm going to be getting married, but I have many friends who say marriage is not for them either due to career goals, commitment issues, or just the general liking of being alone.

One of my friends is afraid of the level of commitment a marriage means. Although she wants to have a live-in boyfriend, share bills, have children, and do everything marriage related without actually getting married, which, to my marriage minded self, doesn't make sense, like, at all. Haha

• you are one of the few and brave 31%. Best wishes to you and your boyfriend

What Guys Said 8

• It comes down to feminism, casual sex culture, and divorce law. Feminism has beat the shit out of men, casual sex culture has beat the shit out of women, and now men don't trust women and women don't trust men, so there is a very strong mutual dislike between the two sexes, despite the primal attraction, which then prompts men and women to continue casual sex culture and for them to lash out at their counterparts, which just further perpetuates the problem, and amidst all this, men do not trust divorce law because it can absolutely rob them blind -- even millions of dollars of his money can be handed over to a woman without child who was married to him for only a few months -- and take their children away, even if the man is not at fault.

Divorce law needs to be rewritten so that people cannot be robbed blind. Feminism needs to become softer and more feminine. Women need to abandon casual sex culture so they are no longer used as sexual toilets. Men need to stop taking advantage of women, even the ones who embrace casual sex culture and express consent to being taken advantage of. Men and women both need to start participating in public displays of affection to encourage the de-segregation of the sexes. When these kinds of changes are made, men will not be as fearful of marriage and thus less likely to embrace casual sex culture, women will be used as sexual objects far less often, men will become less distrustful of feminism, women will become less distrustful of men, and men and women both will see that men and women are coming back together to form happy unions that lead to sweet things like holding hands in public and giggling as they walk along the sidewalk.

That is what America needs.

• I like your answer but I also like Musicbrain5 answer as both are saying almost same thing. I have approach same question to a few ladies on your generation of whom their guy wanted marriage but they did not. They have had children from other fathers but did not want the fathers to be part of the family. Is it okay if father visits and spend time with child/children. But the catch is that these fathers do not want to support child financially, and so it is left to society to foot the bill. I am paying too much taxes now to support that bill. Too many children out of wedlock and no responsibility. But back to your point, their need to be more incentive to get people to marry and more equitable divorce laws. What a mess we got our selves into and lack of trust among men and women.

• Society has really declined in a lot of ways. Back then the voter participation rate was like 95% (politics were still corrupt, of course.)

The overall murder rate is roughly about the same as it was then. But you have to really think about that, it's literally mind blowing. Actually, it would probably be at least 4x, or 5x except a few things. It is not considered murder unless you actually die. Medical technology and surgical technique has improved markedly: blood transfusions, antibiotics, defibrillators, 911, etc. The incarceration rate is much higher than it was back then, so a lot of violent people are kept off the street. And since abortion is legal now, tens of millions of unwanted pregnancies have been aborted.

Marriage rates have a lot to do with public policy. I knew a man who said he would not marry his pregnant girlfriend because the state would give her more benefits if she were unmarried. Indeed, the original proponents of welfare intended it to be only for widows with children.

Society used to put a lot of pressure on men who knocked up women. They would have to marry and join the marines if they were jobless. Abortion and welfare have destroyed that pressure.

It is the law of unintended consequences and the results are disastrous. Fatherless boys and unwed men are much more likely to commit crime. On some urban streets today, you literally cannot find a boy with a father. But count on politicians to invent hobgoblins rather than call people focus on the biggest problems facing the country.

The cost of living has increased a lot too. Cheap government-backed loans have actually made houses and education much more expensive than they used to be. And low education, high paying industrial jobs have largely vanished and won't be coming back.

• I assume we're talking about the West, right?

You have to thank the feminist movement: who's likely to sign an agreement that in case something goes wrong you lose absolutely everything regardless when and how did you get it?

• I never thought of it from your angle, however, I do see women are of equal footing in the workforce, before back on 60's the workforce put more emphasis is having men have the job, so their had to be a compromise. But to your saying Premarital agreement happens mostly when you are rich, I think.

• No, I meant to say that in the West getting married automatically grants a woman legal rights to take away everything from a man in case of the divorce, even if it's not her stuff and/or he had it long before he even met her, like house, car, you name it, even if the guy isn't exactly rich to begin with.
      I ironically called a marriage "an agreement".

I hope that if someone will propose similar laws in here, they'll get assassinated before they can make it happen.

• Multiple reasons come into play here, but the primary reason is that so many are just selfish, they just won't admit it

• I have nothing against marriage but I will never do this. I will never show 100% trust to woman. Almost all women today are incapable for any long term relationships.

• There is no incentive for a man to get married.

• Marriage was always just as bad it is just that divorce does not carry the same social stigma as it did back in the day.

• Cause ho's ain't loyal.