Why do people spend so much money on weddings?

I never really got that?
But you know it's mostly girls who want that, so i never thought it'd be an issue for me.

Now my boyfriend worked on a ship over the summer and saved a lot of money. He just came back and proposed, so we're getting married.
But he said he wanted to spend the money he saved on a big wedding and I just don't get why? I'd rather spend it on something else, something more practical.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't get it either. I think a lot of it is to do with the way weddings have been romanticized in movies an TV, and women want theirs to be just as extravagant in real life. I've heard of average people spending nearly 100K on a wedding, and not to mention the celebs who spend millions (Kim K, anyone?)

Then there's me, who never even thought about a dream wedding until I was proposed to. My wedding will be small, simple, and to the point. Only 40 guests (just the important people). Free music and photography from friends of ours. Nothing fancy at all.

The money that goes towards a large wedding or an extravagant honeymoon is better spent on something way more important, like a house.

• In fact, I used to just think about eloping at city hall and then running off into the sunset with my new husband, lmao. That would seriously disappoint our families, though.

What Guys Said 5

• I agree. My nephew is getting married next weekend. The amount they are spending... I don't even want to know. There are 240+ guests for the dinner and the reception. The thing that I think makes the whole thing really stupid is. They have lived together for almost 12 years! Go to a Justice of the Peace. Then some bar. You'll have just as good a time and a plate of wings won't cost any where near what you pay per plate at a wedding reception.

Save the money for your divorce lawyers.

• you're one of the rational and logical ones, let your inner Vulcan shine lol. but seriously they like to go big or go home because everyone always tells them you only get married once, or so they hope it to be that way lol.

• what's a Vulcan?

• do you know Star Trek? a Vulcan is a race from Star Trek, they use/prefer/live with logic, rationality, reasoning, and discipline over any emotions to make all their decisions. Ya know Spock? don't ya? :D

• I've heard of star trek, like the chris pine movie. But I don't know anything about the back story

• Girls for the most part spend the majority of their lives planning their "dream" wedding, and watching Disney princess movies.

Parents see an expensive wedding as a way to "brag" to their friends and family.

Tradition. People want to have weddings to help the bride/groom prepare for their new home.

None of this means that's what you have to do.

• in most Disney movies the actual wedding is about 20 secs long, I don't see the correlation there

• I was just saying because you seemed to be criticizing her wanting to be the center of attention?

• I was criticizing her for being cheezy

• well i believe that you should use money to help people. but when it comes down to weddings spend all on it :)

• Well, people waste a lot of momey in weddings because its supposed to be the happiest day of their life, so they want to celebrate it with luxury and modern decorarions.

What Girls Said 7

• I have no idea. My dad and my mom got married at my grandmas house with some family members. But he was like "you can either have a big wedding or a house by the end of the year". My mom was smart and chose the house. Every single person I know who got a big wedding regrets it. They say you spend a lot of money and don't even enjoy yourself. You just spen the whole day stressed. Honestly it's not worth it just plan a small simple wedding

• I probably wouldn't spend more than 15-20k on a wedding. However I could do a nice destination wedding in Vegas for under 10k. people assume that vegas means some dirty unprofessional chapel. However, they actually have nice in/outdoor chapels within their luxurious hotels. I'd love to marry there. That way i wouldn't have to travel far for my honeymoon in a penthouse suite :)

• You make sense!! Finally soneone logical! :)
    Well I can't really answer your question, because honestly I am confused on that as well. I think because it's such a special day some people have gotten into the tradition if spending a lot. I think your guy said he wanted a big wedding to impress you, and get you everything you needed :) or wanted haha :)
    Peace
    Margaret

• I don't get it either. I guess since its a very special day, just blow a year's worth of salary on the whole thing.

• Because they want to have a special day and for some people that means spending a lot of money.

• why does it have to mean spending a lot of money?

• Weddings are usually expensive and people want the best things in their wedding, so they end up spending a lot of money.

• Don't. We had our wedding on a budget and used the rest for our honeymoon and getting things for our new house. Our wedding was gorgeous and i still consider it the happiest/best day of my life.

• I'd be careful with this because money is a huge issue in marriage. You two need to be on the same page on your spending habits. You already know the answer to this- people can spend money on whatever they choose. If you two can't agree on how big to go with a wedding then you are in for marital issues. Been there done that.