How do you feel about the tradition of asking the father if you can marry his daughter?

Girls, would you/did you expect your boyfriend to ask your father before proposing? Why or why not?

Most Helpful Girl

• I would not expect it nor would I want it. I take pride in making my own decisions and being financially independent from my family, so that is something that I would like to make my own decision on as well.

What Guys Said 8

• This is the perfect song for this question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIh2xe4jnpk

• Lol i love this song :) but they wear it out where I live

• tradition can go f*ck off... simply

• It's a respect thing, so I'd probably do it. It is a nice gesture.
    I wonder if the ones that think it's stupid and outdated also think the bribery that is an engagement ring is outdated or the ceremony itself that cost quite a bit of money as well is outdated. hmmm...

• I think it is an important matter of respect.

• I will definitely ask that if i would have a western gf, can't do it here because here its arriange marriage already fixed by parents we have no say in that, and its very nice thing to take blessing of your parents, i stand for it

• Yeah you have to there's just no other way. You never want to be on a fathers bad side!

• cooooooooooooool

• I don't like it. I can understand the importance of wanting her parents blessing, but not their permission.

What Girls Said 16

• yes i would. I'm old fashioned like that. i ain't jus gonna go ahead with something if my parents dont approve. they know me better than anyone, so if anyone can decide who's best for me, its them.

• I'm not sure... I think my mom is the one who would be harder to win over. The woman is... well, indescribably stubborn and rooted in her ways. If he isn't what she wants, she'd never give her blessing.

• I did not expect my fiance to ask my father anything. My dad is not a traditional guy like that and they already get along real well with each other so that's approval enough already. I wouldn't have cared if he asked though.

• I wouldn't expect it, but I'd be very impressed if he did. He'd score points with my dad as well.

• No, it's stupid and archaic. It has nothing to do with my dad and to be honest, he'd probably be as equally puzzled as me as to why my bf asked.

• Like he can ask, but if m dad says no. We're still getting married. I see no importance of it. He's not marrying my father he's marrying me. (If he purposed) the only validation he should need is mine. I just think it's stupid and out dated

• If he wants to ask my father, feel free. But I wouldn't pressure him to because I'm not really close with my dad. I don't call him much and we live like an hour apart. Plus, dude may not even wanna help pay for the wedding. Then again, he probably really won't want to help pay when i tell him I choose to walk down the aisle alone.

• The daughter has the right to decide on her own if she wants to marry or not. Her father shouldn't have any say in it as long as she is over 18, he can express his opinion. On the other hand, for the bf to ask the father shows that he respects him and his family and thus making a better relationship with him.

• I guess it's a nice gesture but he doesn't really needs to do it. Since I'm already in my mid-late 20's, I think that's a bit old to be doing that. I can decide on my own.

• I definitely expect my boyfriend to ask my father first before he proposes. I'm more of a traditional kind of girl and I think its a sweet gesture (:

• If the girl is close with her father I think it's a sweet gesture.

• No. It's my decision, and my decision only. My father would have nothing to say.

• That's stupid. It's not up to the father.

• that's bullshit in my opinion. i m the one marrying him so why does he need to ask my father?

• I wouldn't expect it but I think that would be so cute

• No because mine is a jerk