What is the right age to get married?

I'm a freshman in college, and my boyfriend is a senior in high school. Don't freak out, we don't want to get married yet. But we've been dating for over a year, and we're very serious and love each other so much. We originally thought that once we both get our undergraduate degrees, we could get married. However, would it be bad to get married earlier than that? So is age a big deal when getting married or is waiting just to be older pointless?

Most Helpful Guy

• Once you are both out of college and living a more 'normal' day-to-day life where you can see how you really will be like for the rest of your life. You will want to live together for a year or so first, it is amazing how many people you can get along with just perfectly but find you simply cannot handle living together.

Those college years aren't really indicative of 'real' life. They are fun years, with only a small taste of real full-blown responsibility. If you two are perfect together, and are committed to a full life together, then waiting until you both graduate school and live together for a bit after that to get married shouldn't be a big deal. If you are meant to be together, nothing will happen that will cause you to break it off. If you find out in 3 years that you really aren't growing in the same direction, much better to find out during an extended relationship than after you are married.

If your love is so strong that it can handle anything, it can handle waiting. If it isn't strong enough, if you feel you have to do it now or else, then that's a sign that your marriage would be shaky from the beginning and it would be better to not rush into it.

This guy is in high school... you have no idea what he is going to be like once he hits the drunken bouquet of temptation that is college. Waiting to be older is not only NOT pointless, it is prudent. Don't make the mistake all the baby boomers made by marrying before you are old enough to know yourself and know your partner.

• Really good answer, I appreciate it

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 5

• There isn't a right age but I think people shouldn't get married too young because you are still changing and evolving at 18, 19 and 20. Also I think people should be with someone for at least a year and lived with them. People who get married during the honeymoon phase of the relationship find out later that marriage is work not a dream.

• It's about being in a position where everything is finalized and you can just enjoy being together. I wouldn't say the age is the factor here as much as being settled down in a way where you don't find things like school in the way.

• There is no "right" age. It happens when it happens. Some people don't find "the one" until they're old and wrinkly others find them early in life. Some don't work out and who they thought was "the one" wasn't but then later in their life they just happen across the person who is "the one".

• There is no right age. But I don't think it's a good idea until at least one of you has a well paying fulltime job

• When your out of college and starting your careers then start your lives together as well, and when your financial stable have some kids. good luck.;)

What Girls Said 2

• There is no "right age", but I think it's best to wait until you finish school.