GaGer's - According to recent statistics, more Americans than ever are staying single - Why do you think that is?

A very recent article from the New York Post shows that unmarried American adults outnumber their married counterparts for the first time since the federal government began tracking that data in 1976, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

"There were 124.6 million single Americans in August — accounting for 50.2 percent of the 16-and-over US population, the BLS data showed.

"Eric Klinenberg, an NYU sociology professor who tracks marriage trends, predicts the unmarrieds will probably be edging their married peers by this small margin for the foreseeable future." *

nypost.com/.../

My question to you guys and girls of GaG is why do you believe this to be the case. In the poll, you can also vote and state whether or not you feel this is good news or bad news

• This is good news
  • This is bad news

Most Helpful Guy

• I know that back in 1960, 72% of the US population aged 18 or more were married.
    Not bad, when you consider that about 3% are lesbian or homosexual , and roughly 2% of men a 8% of women were asexual. That means about 9% would never be interested in any heterosexual relationship.

Women just priced themselves out of the market for marriage, and men have wised up to it.
    Once upon a time, women fooled with bad boys, then married a responsible, successful man and stayed married.
    Now they they divorce the responsible successful man, take all his assets, and want to run off with the village idiot. It's taken a while for men to see the pattern in this and wise up, but the internet is helping them.

The legal system has encouraged this. Brides should now come to the wedding dressed as a hand grenade, and marriage certificates should have "tear on the dotted line, to take all hubby's assets and live it up".
    Men have worked out that:
    * 50% of wives turn off the sex at 4 years, and he's about to live the rest of his life with resentment and rejection replacing physical affection.
    * Almost 50% of wives will want a divorce, and most divorces are initiated by women. Most men don't even get a reason for that divorce, but they know it will cost them for the rest of their life. I don't actually know even ONE man who ever walked out on a marriage, and wasn't prepared to stay and make it work. I know plenty of women who did.

This is the deal for men in marriage:
    Men love women
    Women love children
    Children love guinea pigs
    The guinea pig wins, no-one loves the man, and he just pays for the whole deal.

To be fair, there are about 20% of marriages that do work well. A man has no way of knowing before marriage, if he'll be one of the lucky ones. How much she loves him at the start, and how much he loves her forever, doesn't have much influence.
    It's like playing Russian roulette in reverse. There could be 4 live bullets in the gun, but only one blank.

What Girls Said 5

• Well, sex is more and more accessible outside of marriage. It's becoming more and more okay to have children outside of marriage too. Men and women both have the ability to support themselves financially... Sex, children, and financial stability which used to be things gained through marriage are up for grabs without marriage now, so it isn't surprising.

• Because we have become more lonely and individual. We have computers and we use them instead of real friends. We consume and don't produce any more. One relationship goes, another comes right? We don't have patience to develop certain feelings. If a person is not good enough on our minds, we pass. That is it. Selfishness, loneliness, trust issues lead to more and more single people.

• I'm single because no one has asked me out on a date ever so... I think an argument can be made for the fact that people aren't used to connecting with each other while putting away the phone or internet.

• People don't see a point to signing a piece of paper anymore so they just have kids together and build a family. I never saw a point to getting married. Just live together. Why do you need to sign a piece of paper?

• People are getting more independent

What Guys Said 12

• Increase in divorces, less social because of online communication, and general lack of interest in relationships.

I don't buy the whole "independence" thing. People don't get married to lose their independence. I think relationship values are declining today as well.

People are unrealistic about the sacrifices you need to take to make a relationship work emotionally and financially. They want for themselves, they put aside the values that make a family and a marriage work.

They think life is just about their own "pleasure" alone. They don't consider anything deeper such as sharing their time with another or raising children.

They think till the day they die that's it's all about having fun for themselves. They have a hedonistic ideology centered around themselves which makes them unable to thrive in a relationship.

• Depends on how you look at it.

Marriage, or civil unions, has become more about taxes write-offs, social benefits, & property opportunities. I don't hear many marrying for the right reasons anymore.

Most times, marriage seems like such a fairy tale to younger people I talk to, who look at the reality & see it can be a headache many just don't want to deal with.

Marriage was born from the concept of religion, & faith in any deity is becoming less common.

Maybe less & less people simply don't believe in the idea of love anymore & know they can support themselves, & whatever children they wish to have, on their own.

Perhaps marriage simply isn't needed between two people that want to spend their lives together.

Maybe people are just giving up on the idea, due to bad experiences.

Is a bad thing? Who really knows. If we're just talking about a legal piece of paper, honestly who cares. But if we're talking less committed relationships overall... then there's an even bigger rift between men & women then some thought, & it'll just get worse.

• They may be single, technically, for being unmarried, but obviously many are still in relationships. The reason why? I think first there are less couples having children and having children while not married isn't looked down as much. Also people are questioning the importance of marriage in the first place. Without so much arm twisting from society, people are really debating if they want to government involved in their relationship.

I really do think some major marriage law reform is coming in the next fifty years. There are some wacky principles associated with the current set up.

• Well a lot of people have student loans to pay back and don't actually have money to raise a family or pay for an unessesarily expensive marriage cerimony. Women are more carreer oriented so that means they often wait longer to have a family than they used to. Guys have a lot to lose financially so marriage is a big risk. It's also an unessesary risk considering girls are "sexually liberated" which means if a guy wants to, it is relatively easy or at least easier than it used to be for a guy to get laid without any expectation of commitment. Unless starting a family is at the top of his priority list, marriage might not be the most appealing thing for guys right now. It just seems like marriage might be becoming obsolete since a lot of people of both genders have this every man/woman for themselves mentality.

• Its a number of reasons why but its really more and more men who choose not to marry because marriage favors women more than men. Women only lose emotionally when it comes to a divorce, but guys lose financially as well as emotionally. Guys see other guys get taken to the cleaners during a divorce and that creates a fear of getting married for a lot of guys.

• Ahhh that's true. Good point.

• @cavmanier
      Yes, I did. At the time, I had a new house, a couple of vehicles, a timeshare, a couple of bank accounts, & a couple of investments that were doing alright. What we gained together was either sold off or I just let her have it. My main concern was our son, & I got custody of him. Worked out Ok for me, but it likely wouldn't have if I didn't have that prenup.

• @WCM78 "or I just let her have it" lol I hear that a lot

• In terms of marriage? Well for one more and more people don't believe in marriage. More and more people don't believe in a deity. Marriage comes from religious beliefs. Not only that but given that it seems homosexuality is more and more popular yet there are only a few places a homosexual couple can get married that is also a "issue".

As far as people being single that depends on what you mean. Do you mean outside of exclusive relationships or do you mean any kind of relationship? If you mean outside exclusive relationships more and more other types of relationships are common.

I don't consider it bad news. I consider it good news because of my own beliefs.

• I consider this bad news. The STD rates are very high, the number of single-mother-raised feminized men is very high, the ill-will toward the opposite sexes is very high, etc. Everything has turned into diseased lesbian monkey-sex. I see nothing positive about that.

• Well, more people are living together than married
    cause they figure if something happens they can
    move on with life without any attachments but I
    don't believe in sex outside of marriage for myself

• Some just don't want anything to do with drama of any kind, I'd suppose. And people can be much happier being independent rather than committed.

• it's just a piece of paper.

• It's about the commitment.

• @Red_Dragon Society has said for a long time that marriage is the best relationship model... I don't believe that or agree with it because marriage is for social purposes only. And people don't get married solely for love.

• Yeah some people get married for other reasons. I think a common reason is financial. You get financial benefits if you are married that you wouldn't get without marriage.

• I used to take statistics more seriously. Today I take it with a pinch of salt.

I think the very nature of statistical claims is problematic. Generally the way they produce statistical claims is they'll take a smell sample size. Hopefully random but this isn't always the case and still isn't very accurate. Then they'll apply the results to the whole population.

In reality there are far too many variants between locations for this to really work effectively. So I don't really believe that claim

• That happens and there are margins of errors but I bet this statistic is based on something like a census since marriage is very easy to verify electronically.

• i can't speak for other people. why don't I personally want to get married?

1. shitty feminist legal system. why would i sign a piece of paper that says I will hand over half my wealth if my wife feels like it, in addition to alimony every month and child support (which doesn't have to be spent on the child) every month? and there's not even a garantee i get to see my child (forcing the wife to give acccess is considered bad for the child's well being). i wouldn't sign that paper anyway even if there were great advantages... but there aren't even any

2. cultural effects of feminism. looking at opinion polls on here i can tell that even just looking at one question, most girls have a personality which i wouldn't want to be with. this is true in real life too. the modern attitude which a lot of girls have today is: give me the advantages of equality and the advantages of inequality

3. i should thank feminism tho. feminism has (unintentionally) opened my eyes to the fact that i don't want to get married and i never did. it was always social pressure, but feminist hate is enough to make any man reconsider why he should even bother doing what he's 'supposed' to do. i should also thank the decline of religion and a few other social factors for this

concentrating on just why marriage is declining is too narrow tho. the untold story of modern times is the huge number of straight men (and even some straight women) who want nothing to do with the opposite sex. the truth about tht is starting to come out but people are still focussing on marriage like it's the big picture