Does marriage have a "purpose" to you, why would you choose to get married instead of simply having a 'life long' partner?

Just curious what does marriage mean to all you GAGers?

Most Helpful Girl

• Kids would be the number one purpose I think, but also there's something about the officialism of marriage that makes it like the ultimate commitment.

What Girls Said 4

• Marriage is a religious thing for me. Plus marriage just seems way more solid and permanent. Although at least to me, divorce isn't an option. I wouldn't divorce my husband unless he became abusive.

• Marriage means if the other person becomes sick or disabled you will take care of them. Life partner means if somebody becomes fat, sick or loses their job you break up with them and let them suffer out of sight.

• I only want to give my all to one person and I can't do that until we get hitched.

• It's the acknowledgement of this union by society.

Also, children that come as a result of any relationship are protected by marriage. If the relationship is just open, the father can just choose to deny the kids in many societies.

What Guys Said 1

• Because I do not believe in a relationship outside marriage. I am too scared of hellfire. But what can I say: I might be thrown in hell anyway. :(