Do you think that people dont take marriage seriously anymore?

Some people forget the promises they made in front of everyone and God. I think they give up wayyyy tooo easily instead of trying. I understand if a husband or wife cheats... but other reasons... i dont get.
I just think people dont try hard enough.

Most Helpful Guy

• Many people do not take it seriously.
    Many people do.

What Guys Said 4

• I don't think so. Some do, sure, but that has always been the case. Looking at divorce rates, adjusted for age, you see that there are certain groups driving the divorce rate way up, and for the rest it is actually going way down.

The two main groups that drive the divorce rates up are the baby boomers/builders and conservative Christians.

With the baby boomers, they have simply been divorcing at a higher rate whatever age category they are in. That's why the age of divorce keeps rising. The reasons for that kind of obvious: married young, but suddenly had easy access to divorce. Before them, people married young, but couldn't get divorced. People much later than them (other than conservative Christians) tend to not marry so young, generally find more suitable partners for marriage (as they can 'test the waters' by living together first) and thus don't need the fallback of divorce nearly as often. So the baby boomers were married in this weird transitional period where they married the wrong partner, and had access to a way to correct the problem.

Conservative Christians tend to marry young still, so they run into all of the same issues that the baby boomers did. For everybody else, the rate is dropping.

The rates, if you are interested, were Jews: 30%; Born-again Christians: 27%, Other Christians: 24%; Atheists/Agnostics: 21%. Amongst the Christian groups, it was highest amongst Evangelical by a large margin (up to 34%), then Baptists. Lowest rates were for Catholics and Lutherans.

I think the 'marrying for the wrong reason' still exists, but it is more of an edge case problem than a mainstream problem. The biggest problem about marriage is clearly related to marrying somebody before you are old enough to understand who you are, what you want out of life, and what you need in a partner. Numbers seem to indicate that people in their late teens or early twenties are not too good at identifying that.

• I'm Catholic, I don't believe in divorce, I questions why non religious people bother to get married though. Why not just a civil union, easier to leave, no special commitment to join. It seems to make sense but sense isn't a question nowadays.

Marriage shouldn't be devalued

• You've answered your own question. People are getting married for the wrong reasons. And don't fool yourself. People aren't any better at marriage now than they were back in the day. They just didn't get divorced as much back then.

• i totally agree. some only do it for money, or something else. its crazy. i hate it. for me... divorce isn't an option.

• Yes, some people think marriage is a joke. Some solely do it for a few benefits or to please the recieving party.

What Girls Said 4

• yes i agree, but even with cheating its not reason enough to break an oath to God and facing life with a partner... we slip, life is full of problems, the point of a union is to always stand together and face the world an our self.

• Marriage isn't what it used to be.

• Yes many dont

• Not everyone who gets married believes in a God. I'm really tired of seeing that shit. If people did not take marriage seriously then most women would be engaged by now

• Correction if most people did not take marriage seriously then girls in relationships would either be engaged or married by now
      Most men find marriage a serious thing and so do most women, if they did not take it seriously then they would feel no need to fear it or not get married in my opinion

• i see your point... i was just stating my opinion... i just think that it needs to be more serious.
      people are getting married for the wrong reasons...