A question for atheists, would you get married one day?

I don't really think marriage has to be a religious thing tbh, so I was just wondering. Let's assume this is in the future, and you find a great person, really love each other, etc.

• I'm an atheist, and open to marriage.
  • I'm an atheist, and don't care either way.
  • I'm an atheist, and don't want to get married.
  • Other (explain)/haven't decided
  • Not an atheist/just want to see the results

Most Helpful Guy

• I didn't choose. I am atheist and don't over think life. If I find a woman that I can tolerate and she can do the same I would marry her.

• You could choose D, if you want. Might fit.

• I haven't really talked to anyone on here in like a year, though. So it's pretty unlikely.

• Been here for 5 and talked to a lot of people. Your personality seems very familiar. It's all good though :)

What Guys Said 11

• It's only in recent times (within the last 1000 years) that religion began sticking its nose into marriages.
    Until then, the financial contract of marriage was only witnessed by friends and family, without churches being involved.

It would be good to find a woman who could stay in love, and even get married if that was the case. It would be worth doing what it takes to keep her happy. Sadly, most women can't stay in love for 5 years or more (just check divorce statistics, and not all those who stop loving would benefit from a divorce: some can exploit better by staying married). It doesn't matter how much a woman is in love for the first few years, you can rarely count on it being permanent (like 20% of the time).

• I'm an atheist and want to get married. Marriage is a social construct that is ever changing and in my opinion simply signifies the union of two people who want to foster a family together (and in today's society love each other) My family is also religious and I would do it for them ( I still pretend i'm religious around them because I don't want them to feel unnecessary stress and it simply isn't a big enough deal for me to devastate them)

• Getting married has nothing to do with religion unless you want it to, that being said it's 100% a BAD!! idea to get married.

• i'd not never marry anyway, religion isirrelevant with it

• Yep only when I find that special someone when I know I can stay with forever or at least 10 years...

• church let me in, I just want to have a official thing that tells society that me and ma waifu are together, more then before.
    aswell this is some imagination in my mind that has to be fulfilled.

• I would like to get married for a ceremonious reason. ie joining of two families. I could care less about the religious aspect.

• Atheist and was married. I did it to please her but I could care less about marriage, if I want to be with someone I'll just be with them, it doesn't change anything.

• Yeah I would like to be married

• Nope. Doesn't interest me one bit.

• it really doesn't matter one way or another cuz marriage is a man made concept.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm agnostic (both me and my husband are), and we got married a year ago. We had a non-religious ceremony, and it was beautiful. Marriage has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with the love you and your partner have for each other. Don't ever let anyone tell you any different.

• I don't think Marriage has to be a religious thing at all! You don't even have to get married at a church, I'd like to get married at a fancy hotel, or some beautiful botanical gardens, or a beach! As an Atheist and a liberal my main concern is that marriage equality be achieved in other countries, I'm Canadian so obviously we have it here and I think marriage is a precious thing all to do with love no matter what your sexuality or religious beliefs. I'm only 19 but I have found the love of my life and plan to one day marry him... after university and when we can afford it that is :s

• Yeah, atheists get married all the time. We have for centuries. But anyways yeah we get married just like anyone else

• Atheist, and I want to get married and have kids :)

• Atheist, but would love to get married. :)

• Marriage is not only for people who have religion