Marriage? What do you think about it?

When the word "Marriage" comes up, do you feel excited and filled with joy or do you feel terrified and/or sad about it? The idea of being with your lover for a lifetime sounds romantic and can be an adventure worth your while while the idea of staying single isn't a bad choice either to live a simple life with a lot less responsibility.

Would you be someone who wants to get married or do you believe it wouldn't be beneficial or too stressful in the long run? State your opinions :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm undecided at the moment. I feel like some people have it planned out that they WILL get married no matter what. They will get married just for the sake of it, so that they don't have to be alone. Personally I think that's stupid. I'd rather be alone than be trapped in a marriage with someone im not completely in love with or have the marriage only last a few years. Like whaT's the fucking point of getting married if it only lasts a few years? So if I meet someone that makes me think "yeah I can totally see myself spending the rest of my life with this person" then yes I'd get married, otherwise fuck it. I think in a lot of cases marraige seems like much more trouble than its worth, but maybe that's just me. I'm a very cynical person😧

• Getting married is a huge commitment and if you don't feel perfectly comfortable with your lover and didn't get to know them long enough, complications in the future will happen, especially divorce so your reasoning is a good one. And yes, getting married just to not be alone is making a big mistake XD

What Girls Said 19

• I'm getting married in two months actually, and yes it is right for both of us. It seems like the natural course of action after being together for awhile, not to mention that there are some pretty great benefits in it for my fiance - he's not Canadian but just a permanent resident, after we get legally married though I can sponsor him for citizenship and it will be easier for him to get it. That aspect of it is just a bonus though, it's not the reason why we're getting married.

I'm really excited and a bit nervous all at the same time. Marriage is the beginning of your own little family - like once you are married, you're a family. My fiance and I have the same goals and desires in life so being married just makes perfect sense.

I think there are too many people now who put too much focus on the wedding and not enough on the marriage itself, or that they just don't even try to work on their relationship problems. It's way too easy for people to get out of a marriage for no reason at all (no-fault divorce, pretty much) and I think that's what gives people a poor idea of marriage.

• I've been married for a year, and it is the best decision I have ever made. I've never been happier.

When I think of our marriage, or just the "idea" of marriage, a few words come to my mind:

- Comfort: There is nothing more comforting than knowing that you have a partner to share your life with, your highs and lows with, and everything in-between.

- Love: Marriage takes the love you had before your wedding day to a whole new level. What "love" meant to you before you got married changes in a way that could never be explained. It's deeper, more meaningful, and stronger. It's an indescribable feeling.

- Commitment: Marriage is the ultimate commitment. It's a promise to each other, to yourselves, to the world, that you're going to spend the rest of your lives as one entity. Every big decision and life event after marriage is so monumental, because it effects both people on such a deep level.

- Satisfaction: When you're married, it's like a breath of fresh air. All of those "weird" things you do that you think everyone will despise, the other person admires - and vice versa! There is nothing more satisfying than being your true self with someone, and knowing that they think you're the most beautiful and amazing creature to ever walk the face of the earth.

Even though I am already married, I always wanted to be married for these reasons. A partner for life - what's not to love about that?

• Lol... I'll let you all know my thoughts and views in, shall we say, twelve months time.

I actually got married just four weeks ago!! :)

• That's amazing! Congrats on your marriage! :3
      And yes, I would assume one month's time of marriage probably wouldn't be long enough to know all the details and your opinions on it xD

• I feel a mix of being terrified and confident. I have seen a lot of unhappy marriages and only like 5 happy ones... it doesn't help that the divorce rate is so high as well. I do wish to get married but not right away. It's a big commitment, so you need to be 100% sure on both sides of the relationship.

• Meh. Not my thing.

But I always get happy when I see people who genuinely want to get married, eventually get married. :)

• So you love the romantic atmosphere of two people loving one another as long as your not the one falling in love and getting married huh? :3
      I'll admit at times I feel the same way because I don't know if I could commit to someone for a lifetime :(

• No, I'd happily fall in love and all that. But I'm not going to get married.

Even if I was very sure I want to commit to someone for a lifetime, I still wouldn't get married. I'd just be with him, period.

• I feel like those who don't want marriage are insecure in their partner's possibility of cheating, or they are wanting a way out for if such occurrence were to arise. I want to get married because I'm pretty traditional in my views. Marriage is not just "sharing money" it's the act of finding someone who complements you enough to share your life with: financially, emotionally, and physically.

• It's kinda lame

• never have, never will believe in a happy ever after. Marriage costs money,( rather spend it on other stuff) and I do not believe humans are naturally monogamous...

• There have been people who have committed to marriage for a lifetime and not all of them are satisfied with it. I think it's interesting that your one of the first people on here who believes marriage is pointless. Being single isn't bad at all :)

• sure there are exceptions but marriage used to be more of an obligation (if you want kids, you shoudl marry the man), and a social/cultural given. Now a days it isn't so much of an obligation anymore, people do it for the idea behind it. I doubt, within our generation, married people will stick together till dead. Indeed being single isn't bad ;)

• Wouldn't be called" Arranged Marriage" if other people were forcing a marriage down two people's throats? It does seem like the divorce rate continues to go up. I wonder if it's because people are flaky or don't like the idea of marriage after being married for a while? Your right! Being single isn't so bad at all :3

• I think its stupid
    LOL :p
    I dont think you need a piece of paper to be together for life. And if you want a party, just throw one.

• Sounds like you'd prefer to be independent and go wild then to be in a committed relationship :3 Ain't nothing wrong with that so long as your happy! :)

• Oh I so want to get married. Waiting for a guy to propose to me actually :)

• Getting married sounds like its an exciting experience to you! Are you dating anyone at the moment who you hope to get married to later? :)

• yes :) not exactly dating :)

• Exited and scared. It's definitely something I plan on doing.

• Like most first time experiences, they can be a thrill and scary no doubt XD
      What motivates you to get married if I may ask?

• It is important that sexual activity with your lover should be respected in every way. While most people commit sexual acts before marriage, saving it till after marriage would make the bond more sacred and you can feel closer to that person. I respect your thoughts on this :)

• Waiting until marriage is so honorable of you, my love.

• I think marriage is a great thing. However, you have to know what you're getting into. Forever committing to that person.

• I think that's a problem a lot of people have with getting married. It's the fact that they don't look ahead into the future and think of only what's happening "now". Marriage is a wonderful thing if two people can commit for a lifetime and know they will be happy with one another :3

• I freak out usually run in other direction

• So I take it marriage is out of the question for you? XD

• no lol I would like to marry I would I think it's just a panic thing but hell no I really would like too

• Marriage is something that I definitely want

• I'm happy that your excited for it! :) What makes you motivated to want to get married?

• I'm very mixed emotions about it :/ yes big leaps in life with that ONE person sounds wonderful, but most people think on fantasy world everything's "perfect" in life, when it's not. But then again I think about flaws, and depth about whether marriage would be really worth it, I try to keep a positive up look about it though. Cause I'd love to get married, I just over think.

• It's ok to have them because marriage isn't perfect but it may be worth your while if your partner can communicate with you very well :) Are you more confident or afraid of marriage if I may ask? :3

• It's been a blessing for me.

• How long have you been married for? :)

• Almost three years. So, we are pretty new at this. :)

• 3 years is a great start for you! I hope your marriage continues to be successful in every way :)

• It's great as a concept, but I don't think I'm personally cut out for it.

• What makes you say that you couldn't? I believe you could if tried hard enough :)

• I like my freedom and dislike having other people make most of my decisions for me. I think I'd make a better husband thsn wife ;)

• That's kinda funny you would mention that because I'm the complete opposite with love having others make the decisions for me mostly XD
      I'm sure though in a relationship, there would be a way where it could work out for the two of you :)

• I turned down a marriage proposal a month ago
    I'm not one of those desperate girls who will marry just because
    I don't have a problem with marriage
    I do not care whether or not I get married

• Did you feel that the guy who proposed to you was someone who you couldn't imagine being with for a lifetime? It's understandable.
      Basically, your neutral about marriage right? One day or another, one or the other will happen but maybe time will find this answer for you :3

• No he was not my type I'm not attracted to European guys

• You sure it wasn't just him being your type in terms of hobbies, personality, e. t. c? You may never know if you may be loving a European guy :)

• Marriage is a sacred act. I had every intention of getting married. And then I lost my virginity in a premarital act and now I don't deserve marriage. Two-bit scum is what I am. So no, I doubt I will ever marry. I'm not good enough for it now.

• Marriage is sacred and so is sex. But one can repent and be forgiven. It is harder for us to forgive ourselves God to forgive us. And any man that can not see that you are sorry for what you did does not need to be your husband.

• I hate to be so brash but get over it. 90% of the world loses their virginity premaritally and they're doing just fine. Virginity does NOT make you worthy or unworthy of ANYTHING. You're saying 90% of us don't deserve marriage and that's incredibly stupid.

Also, Asker... how does one lose their virginity four times? It's not a matter of decision. You have sex = your virginity is gone. It doesn't happen over and over again. You can still put yourself on a right path, but there's no such thing as losing your virginity more than once, much less FOUR times.

• Oh, now I make the connection to your other opinion on that virginity question.
      I don't mean this in a bad way at all, but I really think you should talk with someone who can help you sort through your feelings and apparent self-loathing. You recognize it, but yet aren't able to get past it.

What Guys Said 9

• I think the romantic side of it is overrated. The only real value comes because for financial and legal reasons. Would I like to get married. Well I would like to move to the us sometime so one of the easiest ways is to get married to an American. I think that in married life my dream scenario would be basically friends with benefits but with a ring.

• Been married for 5 years now and love it for many reasons. First someone is always there for you in good times and bad. Second comfort. Third we have fun together. Fourth sex any time I want or she wants (we have a deal neither of us will ever turn down sex if the other wants). Fifth it is the right way to be with someone.

• It sounds like your having a successful marriage! You don't get discouraged from arguments or disagreements at times right?

• No we do not raise your voices to one another in anger. Discouragement may happen but we work through it together.

• I think it's dumb, and the divorce rates prove it. I dont need a contract or public announcement to show my love. Nor do I want to be un-authentic and pretend that I know I will spend the rest of my life with someone when I dont, things could change, and I'm not going to ignore that fact.

• People do love the idea of change and if something is not satisfying to them, actions will be taken (Aka divorces as you mentioned). So your thinking that marriage is highly overrated and you could spend a lifetime with someone without all the formalities and papers to sign right?

• I have nothing against commitment, just the rest of it seems unnecessary.

• I personally dont agree with marrige, I persoanlly feel that I do not need to get married to prove any point if i love some one enough i iwll be with them. If other people want to get married thats all well and fine I dont veiw it is a bad thing in any sense.

• So if you loved someone enough, you'd spend time with them but not commit enough to engagement then marriage?

• commitment can be just as high with non married people as with married ones. Being married doesn't say anything about commitment either, since plenty of people cheat and get divorced.

• Yeah if i really loved some one I would happily spend time with them and have a pretty functional full relationship with them, in my eyes marrige is just more of a legal thing. Being married won't in any way make me act as a better partner or make me even more commited to a person that I already may be. if marrige works for some people then thats all fine I won't stop it or protest it in any way.

• Exited! Can't wait till that day comes for me!
    I am in no way afraid of getting married because I trust myself to pick the right girl. I think if you do it right -easier said than done- it won't be that stressful.

• The only thing that I desire in life is love and marriage, I want to pick the right girl marry her and I'll have a companion for life, I want to get married so I won't end up a lonely guy forever.

• A lot of people do fear of living alone and may settle for less to avoid it, even if they might not love their significant other as much. I'm glad you cherish love over money for sure :)

• Marriage 💑 is a good thing u can put two people together and they can fall in love in life having kids they are making a life time

• I couldn't agree more although there are people in the world who have kids and still haven't gotten married because of commitment issues which I think is sad :(

• Make sure you truly love the person don't do it for money don't do it because the person is hot. I've been in a relationship for 17 years with a pretty girl, however we are not a good social or mental match and things have been very challenging

• Pretty sacred and that's the only relationship which matters to me frankly speaking !!