Gay marriage? (for straight people to answer)?

Do you think a gay couple should be able get to married?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course! Why are there still people against this? What effect do these people have on you (the oppositions) exactly? As far as I know, they are just regular people looking for that special someone. Who cares if they are the same gender? Why does it matter? As long as they love each other, they should be allowed to be together. A lot of religion is about forgiveness of one another, isn't it? This is just another social reform that is being pushed at the moment, just like women's suffrage. History repeats itself. There are always people who want to change and advance and those who do not want to move from where they are and have a peaceful life. I respect both sides, but for God's sake, let these people be! They have their own sexual interests, as do straight people. Homosexuality has been around forever, even if it was evident. Just because I am straight, does not mean that non straight people should not be given the same human rights as I do.
    People will be people. There will always haters. You cannot change that.

What Guys Said 41

• Of course. We can't prevent people from loving whoever they want even if it goes against some people's beliefs. Not everyone follows those beliefs and in a free society people have the right to their happiness as long as they don't hurt themselves or others. Why should anybody have to follow a specific religions laws? Marriage doesn't have to be religious in nature either. Freedom of choice is paramount. Tolerance is needed in a free society

• Down vote me all you want people but the polls don't lie. Our culture has shifted dramatically in just a generation and it will continue to do so. Tolerance of different ways of life will continue whether you like it or not.

• Six down votes? And people get offended when I say GaG is full of small minded bigots... sheesh...

• Eat them down votes for breakfast

• No, I don't think gay marriage should be legalize. Is it alone going to doom things? I doubt it.

Will it harm society? Yes.

It's in the vested interest of any nation or state to make marriage something sacred, special, and promoted. Actual marriage--the type that often results in wife getting pregnant and having kids--is a building block of society. Married men work far harder than single men or women, or married women. They pay more in taxes--and an intact mother/father family is proven to be the best way to raise kids to become good people who commit crimes at lower rates and are more likely to become educated and hold skilled positions. Families also spur on economic growth. Their increased spending helps the economy...

Legalizing "gay marriage" is another step to help remove any perceived importance or sacredness, and therefore will encourage less marriage to happen, and more of today's "girl has kids/man pays child support" system, which is a pale, sickly shadow of marriage/family.

Not to mention, it's also in society's vested interest to discourage homosexual sex as much as possible, if only due to the fact homosexuals have incredibly high STD rates compared to heretosexuals. It's simple logic--just as society is actively discouraging smoking because it causes disease, it would be wise to socially make homosexuality not accepted or normal.

Consider data from the Center for Disease control.

www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/facts/index.html

"From 2008 to 2010, HIV infections among young black/African American gay and bisexual men increased 20%."

"Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM) a represent approximately 2% of the United States population... "

"At the end of 2010, an estimated 489,121 (56%) persons living with an HIV diagnosis in the United States were gay and bisexual men, or gay and bisexual men who also inject drugs."

So according to the CDC, 2% of the population contains 56% of HIV cases in the USA.

• I didn't read your shit except for the last few statements. Gay people are gonna have sex regardless of a piece of paper saying they're legally married. So the HIV part is extremely irrelevant. HIV isn't going to spread faster when gays marry. They're gonna be having sex anyway. Welcome to the United States, where people have premarital sex.

• Well stated and backed up. Now I will sit back and read all the intolerant, hate filled responses from those who claim to be so tolerant and accepting themselves... unless you disagree with them.

• @slugworth99

I think I blocked most of those folks already. Why try debating with people who don't care about facts?

• I don't care how politically correct it gets or how much hatred is slung in the direction of those who disagree with it, I will never accept it as natural. I am an agnostic (formerly a Christian), so I don't bring the religious aspect into it. There are two sexes in most species of this planet for a reason. Just because somebody chooses this lifestyle and it feels good doesn't make it natural. I also love all the hate filled, intolerant slams I get for stating this opinion. Do you read any hate into my post? No. I just disagree with this choice of lifestyle and find nothing natural about it. However, I will be called the most horrid of names by those who claim to be so tolerant, compassionate and willing to accept people for who they are - as long as it agrees with their viewpoint.

• Fair enough. Don't make yourself a martyr either.

• Also, did you never hear of those gay penguins? Here, why don't I just give you a whole wikipedia page FULL of evidence: en.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_animals_displaying_homosexual_behavior

You can go ahead and verify it for yourself if you must.

• The "it's not natural" is an extremely poor argument. If you're going to invoke that, you're gonna have to stop wearing clothes, driving a car, flying on planes and stop using the internet as none of those things are natural.

As for nature examples, do you honestly believe that if someone didn't provide you with links about homosexuality occurring in nature, it means there are no examples? That is extremely poor judgement, my friend.

When I was questioning my beliefs, I didn't expect people to present me with countless links. Whatever I was told that didn't sit with me I researched on my own. Googling really isn't that hard in today's day and age.

But if you're going to desperately cling onto your poor "nobody gave me proof" shield, I'll be more than happy to supply you with some sources. ;)

• Yes. Why do people get so uptight over gay marriage? If they relationship between two males or two females is not affecting your heterosexual relationship, then why does it matter? People worry way too much about other people's businesses. Gays aren't trying to inflict their views on you; they just want to be accepted like everyone else. It's natural human behavior. They're human, not aliens or what have you. People should be allowed to fall in love with whoever they please, whether it be male or female. If the actions and personal lives of others becomes a problem for you, then you need to sort out your issues.

• I am against homosexual marriage. You guys aren't looking at the long term conditions of your thoughts, and second you don't have the proper view of love. Marriage has be cheapened at every corner of our society. Marriage is to be a cornerstone to society, but once you change the view and definition of marriage it begins to crumble. Marriage was to represent Jesus and the church. Some of you think I am going over board, maybe you aren't thinking of the long term repercussions of your thoughts and actions. Your just in the moment.
    I have read that church and state are two separate entities, then why was it out of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence 29 held seminary degrees, and the two first justices of the supreme court were pastors that signed the Constitution?

• ok here is a christian point of view
    the marriage beetween people of the same sex is a sin acording to the bible, so my position is no. so what about legal marriage? doesn't bother me because the law of this world is different from the law of God. gay couples already live together what they want are legal rights like tax credits and other benefits for example. what really gets under my skin is that now they wanna force church to allow it too, because they have the romantic fantasy of marry in a church. excuse me, society may change but God doesn't change. and if we say no they say that is discrimination wich is a childish argument. imagine an ilegal inmigrant saying the goverment is racist for deporting him, no, he is being deported because he came by an ilegal way to the country. the same case is in church. that is really bothering me. goverment now want to tell the church what is good and what is not so now the goverment is god, srly? if you are a non believer gay, marry if you want but dont expect a true church to bless your marriage, and if you believe that Jesus Christ is the true living God, stop that life and ask him for forgiveness.

• But what about churches that are willing to perform the ceremony? My personal view is that we should just separate religious and legal marriage entirely, so that any two consenting adults can be legally married, and any church that is willing to can perform the religious ceremony, and any church that isn't doesn't have to.

• i know, in fact there is a study of that called theology, seems you like to researh by yourself. you gonna find out that none of the diferences between the OFFICIAL traslations is that big and none of them allow a marriage beetween people of the same sex. but you dont have to believe what i say. i mean read the bible look fo the traslation that is the nearest to the original papyrus, you have acces to a lot of information now days thanks to the internet.

i can take the bible and erase all the parts where it says sex before marriage is a sin and create my own church where people doesn't have to marry at all, people who buy into my lie are ignorants (in bible knowledge) because they never at least read the bible to say "hey you deleted some parts" and i would be an apostate cuz i know the true but intentionally changes it to fit my personal needs.

• Which testament though? And actually, there's a new theory that's popped up that the anti-homosexuality passages aren't actually referring to homosexuality as such, but rather to pedophilia, as in ancient Rome it was common for men to have young boys as sexual partners. So, the matter really isn't as settled as you may think it is.

• Yes they should. In the US we have a society where gay couples can do anything they want in the eyes of the law except have married status in 20 some odd states. What's the point in denying them marriage if not a last chance effort by religious conservatives to not lose ground in their fight to suppress homosexuality?

• Yes its now the 21st century and only people that are brought up by dictatorship certain religious groups that take this thing called a bible to be the truth are against it. The bible, lmfao, written hundreds of years after the apparent death of jesus by people that could never have met him! Who are these idiots to tell people who can and can't get married. I'm not gay don't want to be gay but would never want another human being to have less rights than I do. Unless they hurt or abuse children (like Catholic priests) or murder somebody then they lose rights.

• it's different to treat homosexuals as equals and not to be racist towards them from accepting homosexuality as a norm in society.

• We call ourselves the land of the brave and the free, yet we shit ourselves when others choose to live a different way than us. Some people need to grow the fuck up. I support gay marriage, but I (generally speaking) don't go out of my way to advocate for it.

• Assuming they can find a church willing to marry them, yes. The only reason this is even an issue is because the government is WAY too big.

• why you crawling out of your hole in the far corner of the right wing? Go back.

• Well damn lol. I hate this term, but "Shots Fired!"

• Looks like you shoved it up the pooper *big wink*

• Sure why not? Marriage is just the bureaucratic representation of two people's monogamous intent. If they wanna live together then it is absolutely not a problem for me.

• Yes. In fact, I'd go even further than that. Let's privatize marriage, so that government doesn't define it at all. People should be allowed to have whatever consensual relationships they want, attach whatever terms and conditions they want, and call those relationships whatever they want.

• That is called a lack of ethics

• The benefits are designed to take care of his family, especially in the event of his death and to offer retirement and disability.

• @rjroy3 OK, but some veterans might prefer to support their parents or their siblings or even their friends, or they might have partners but not want to get married. I think the veterans should decide. A veteran without a spouse isn't worth any less than a veteran with a spouse. There's no reason for government to discriminate like this.

• I don't like gay couples. I like lesbian couples.
    Give me dislikes if you want to offend me, I'm always ready for it

• "Look at me, I'm purposely saying hypocritical things to get a reaction. Please pay attention to my worthless existence!!"

• If they want to get married that's fine. It's a free country, do what you want. I'd prefer not to see two guys kissing in public though. haha

• Yes, divorce lawyers will be so happy :p
    and it will be fun to watch all the drama :p

• Heterosexual couples divorce at much higher rates than same-sex couples.

• @been_waiting
      I was joking lol. I don't really see the point of marriage, so if they want to get in all that legal mambo, let them.

• Well, legally yes, they can live together anyway without getting married, so a paper saying that they're married will only make them get commited. But I don't think they should be allowed to adopt a child, I just think it's weird...

• This is a free country; therefore, gay marriage should be allowed.

• i disagree about marriage in general. why a couple should marry wether it's str8 or gay?

• Marriage should be between two human beings over the age of 25 (around the time when your brain is fully matured)
    Does it really wound ANYONE if two adults concentually decide to share everything they have?

• Yes, and I could care less.

• Sure but I dont think churches or preist should be forced to marry them

• If you don't like gay marriages, don't have one.

• Now i want you to ask yourself, what is marriage? A piece of paper doesn't define two people's love for eachother. Hence, i'm against marriage entirely.

• doesn't mean that because you do not support marriage, 2 people who want to be married, shouldn't be.

• Gay people might be weird, but they should still be allowed to marry like the rest of us. Religion has no say because church and state are separate institutions and marriage is part of the state.

• What's so weird about them?

• Nope. Yes Thomas Jefferson read the Two treatise of Government. But it didn't originate with John Locke. Jefferson was responding back to a pastor that was concerned that the government would come in and regulate what the church said. Jefferson assured the pastor that wouldn't happen in America. The First Amended has different words. The original author of the first amendment was Fisher Ames. By the way the John Locke quotes scripture from the Geneva bible 1500 times in the book The Two treatise of Government.

• You're generalizing flamboyant and transsexual people, how can you seriously be this ignorant?

• Well I used to be bi 3 years ago (Straight now) but I would "never" marry another guy, it just feels completely wrong to me, somehow. However, I do believe in free will and if other people want to marry someone of the same gender, then let them, but I wouldn't take that chance considering the consequences in the afterlife...

• That line of reasoning makes no sense.

• Who you're willing to have sex with is different than who you're willing to love.

And you shouldn't throw God out there as a wild card when YOU were doing it first.

• It's just such a dumb debate.
    I think that gays should have the -freedom- to get married. Why does everyone think that legalization = mandate?
    It's a dumb argument.
    Downvote me if you wish, but there are MANY more pertinent issues at hand and the fact that people are actively against it shows how shallow they are.

• I am a gay rights activist in my community

• Why not, let them be miserable in marriage like the rest of the world.

• I believe that no one should be able to tell anyone what they can and cannot do.

• should we live in chaos?

• I understand your point in that if what they're doing doesn't affect you, then why bother. But there are cases that it should. Like if your neighbors are beating their kids. If someone leaves their dog in a hot vehicle in a parking lot for 6 hours during the summer. If someone is race baiting outside a public area, forming an angry mob that hasn't gotten violent yet.

• Well that's different. I Love dogs. It would pain me to leave it in the car if I saw it there. What if it was my dog? I don't want it suffocating or dehydrating. Same with neighbors beating their kids, Now given, I like dogs a lot better than kids, I would react pretty much the same way, what if that was my kid? I don't want them beaten.
      But you're talking about a Marriage. Is anyone being hurt? No. Is anyone affecting my feelings? eh, not really. I prefer things be between a man and a woman, But really... who cares about someone who's not me is doing for themselves? It's none of my damn business. Am I bothered by the existence of gays? Well, they're awkward sometimes but often much nicer than other people. This is reality and the world does not revolve around what I like, I do not control people.
      That'd be really fucked up if I did. Let's talk about control. North Korea for example. No one ever has any fun because some short guy in a suit said so. Now that's some shit that is wrong

• I'm perectly fine with gay marriage. I don't like the idea of other people being forced to be fine with it, though.

• More from Guys
    11

What Girls Said 33

• I am against gay marriage. This is the first time in history that people ask for gay marriage to be approved as a constitutional right There are no examples of gay marriage as a constitution in any society from ancient times until today. In every era, even though homosexuality exists, it is concidered wrong and not ethical. Homosexuality is not natural. In nature, animals may show some homosexual behaviors, but it's because they find a partner through smell and may be confused. Animals don't consciously choose to find only partners of the same sex and they don't form homosexual societies. Natural is the union of male and female because it is fertile. I am against racism towards homosexuals. I believe they should be treated equally to other people in the society and in their workplace. But it's different to want to persuade society to tolerate them and not to treat them in a racistway, from. Accepting gay marriage actually means that you accept homosexuality as an ideology, as a norm, a different or alternate family or reality. I mean I accept homosexuals like equals but I don't accept homosexuality. If gay marriage is approved, it's like saying it's ok to be a homosexual, while in reality it'a a sickness of mind and a lack of ethics. Finally, if government approve gay marriage, consequently they should approve adoption to homosexual couples. But can a kid grow up to become straight? How will this kid be treated by other people?

• And here we have a homophobic bitch in her natural habitat. No flash photography as this could scare her and cause her to go on a rant of shitty logic. Oops to late, she's already doing that.

• She expressed her opinion, it is not the same as yours, and it certainly was not un-civil or hate filled so relax. This is what she thinks and believes in. You are free to disagree, but you should respect her thoughts. She's not picketing funerals or anything like that and does not deserve this treatment.

• I agree with you. Being gay is not a race. It is a life style choice. These folks are seeking preference for a they want to ram down everyone else's throat. Like you, I believe that they should be treated with respect, as anyone else would. But, just because we reject a life style that they have chosen for themselves, doesn't make the rest of society bigots. Those who ridicule people who except the person, but reject the life style are the real bigots.

• I'm personally against marriage for gay people. I'm not against the GLBT community but morally I think it's wrong for two people of the same sex to be united in holy matrimony. That is man and woman only and is how it should be.

• <3 respect +1

• "I'm not against the LGBT community but I basically think they shouldn't have the same rights as straight people hurr durr"

• I'm not making an argument for religion. I'm just stating my opinion. That's it.

• I don't find anything wrong with wanting to marry a person you love. For people thinking its going to ruin society and get us going into world war 3 are really simple minded people. Think about it, what is actually wrong with two people of the same sex getting married? its not good for children to see? at what point is that not good for a child to see? that they don't have to marry the opposite gender. If they love someone no matter what culture, gender, or religious beliefs they should have every right to want to spend the rest of their lives with each other. And please don't use the excuse of if we let it happen gay people are going to take over the world! because its just attraction, we like who we like. Every one has different taste. World peace will never be achieved if we can't even let someone marry who they love.

FUCK SOCIETY, FUCK YOUR BELIEFS, AND FUCK THE UNGRATEFUL, UNLOVING WORLD WE LIVE IN!
    - rant over

• I don't think they should, men was made for women's not the opposite man with man or girl with girl

• Yeah.. juz like how i was made juz for ma baby right. Here :*

• @lumos how did you come to the world? did your father married another man and they made you, you most read what does logic mean, there is one logic not a hundred... God when did create man and women he create them to suit each other means In order to survive homo sexual or gays isn't from god it's human fault... if you are christian you most read Gospel

• You do know that not everyone is gay though, right? You do know that plenty of people will still be straight, right? Plenty of human babies are being born every day. That wouldn't exactly go away if gays got the right to marry each other. What about people who are infertile? Should they not be allowed to marry just because they can't conceive either?
      And since God created humans, he also created homosexuality. Again, your logic isn't very logical.
      I'm not a Christian, and I refuse to live by outdated and narrow-minded rules that create inequality.

• Yes, we say that all are created equal. So they deserve the very same rights as anyone.
    It is unacceptable for us to not allow them the same rights as everyone else!
    I mean this is inequality in its modern day form! We learn about this stuff all the time in history books, and years from now we will have to hear about this again... issues with equality... It's terrible. Our children and grandchildren will be hearing about this in the history textbooks. It's terrible that we question the equality of other fellow humans :(
    Peace
    Margaret

• Heck no it was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve if it was meant for gays to marry then god would have made it that way in order for them to reproduce I understand gay people can make some of the best parents and everyone has a moment where they're attracted to the opposite sex

• Of course. If I can get married, why can't they?

• Yes, they should. I don't see why anyone has the right to stop two consenting adults from marrying each other. What they have between their legs is completely irrelevant.

• Yes. Filler

• Honestly, no matter what people are going to do whatever they want. Even if gay marriage was forbidden everywhere it wouldn't stop gay people from loving each other. I mean marriage started out as a religious thing but lots of people who aren't religious get married today, so it doesn't matter

• I think we should just get over marriage altogether, it's just a ceremony - that's it. It used to serve a purpose but since the entire nature of society and trade has changed since the 'invention' of marriage I honestly just think it's had its day, so let anyone who wants to do it do it.

• Neutral towards it

• I honestly don't care what happens since it doesn't involve me, but I also hate it when peoples rights are stripped away so I'll vote for yes they should be allowed to if they want. It's not like it's changing my life.

• Wow I love how I get a thumbs down for being ok with gay people being married but it's w/e.

• You said you don't get involved so does it matter if people disagree. But it does change your life down the road, you just don't see it or understand it yet.

• I didn't say I don't get involved, I said it doesn't affect my life and I also said I don't like seeing peoples rights stripped away so I'm ok with gay marriage. I also don't think it will change my life down the road. In what way will it change my life? Please explain because I'd like to hear how that will happen.

• Yes. Church was separated from state. Time to stop letting religious ideals interfere with the law.

There is nothing wrong with loving someone of the same sex. It hurts no one. If two people are in love, having the same genitalia seems like an irrelevant fact.

• *Time to stop letting the law interfere with religious ideals.

Fixed that for you.

• @gotc147 guess I was a little too eager to tell people off. I'm tired of some of the anti-gays on here.
      But, I honestly didn't put it any effort. I don't even remember what points me and my team made (my team sucked balls.) I spent like an hour researching it, whereas for the others I spent days. I'm still not sure what I think. Cause on one hand it's ridiculously easy to get a gun, yet on the other, a criminal is always going to find a way to get one. So why disarm the law-abiding citizens

• Several studies have been published over the last decade showing mainstream gun control ideas simply don't have any affect on crime rates, last year alone both Harvard Law School and the CDC (under the order of Obama at that) produced studies that just tore the anti - gun position to shreds.

Out of respect for the Asker, if you'd like to continue this off - topic conversation feel free to send me private message.

• Yes, of course. I don't see any problem.

• Yep. I don't see a reason to restrict love because of ignorance or religion. Plus my dad's reason they should get married, then if they get a divorce they will have to go through all the shit straight people go through lol

• Totally for it, why can't they be happy, why does the ignorance of others have to get in the way?

• Yes, of course.

• Yes they should be able to get married no explanation need

• This just become legal in my state a few days ago. Personally I just think nobody should be able to tell you who you can't be with.

• It's your choise who to be with, but you should accept at the same time that what you do is wrong, that it's not natural wanting to be with a person of the same sex. If gay marriage gets legal, it means that homosexuality will be considered a norm in the society.

• What's your state?

• I honestly couldn't care less if they want to get married.

• Yeah sure, why not.. It wouldn't bother/phase me at all

• yes. yes they should.

• I think that they should get married just cuz they are gay or lesbian doesn't mean they can't get married like the rest of us

• yes, and if whoever says no is a narrow-minded asshole

• yes of course, they should.

• Sure. Why not?

• Iam not against them. Thwy can do what they want but i am against of adopting child by them. I won't change my oponion. I think it ias serious problem

• What's wrong with them adopting a child?

• Simple answer: Children have right to have mother and father as in normal families, rather than having two father or two mother...

• What about kids whose dads/mothers have abandoned them (or died in some accident), and they're being taken care of by a single parent? Is that single parent not allowed to have that child, since there's no father/mother in the picture?
      I think it's extremely cruel of you to think that a child is better off being completely parentless compared to having two loving mothers or two loving fathers. Do you even realize how overcrowded the adoption system already is? Plenty of kids go unadopted. Can you honestly say that these kids are better off not being adopted at all? Because if gay people weren't allowed to adopt, so many more kids would be without homes.

• Its a nop for me, its just wrong. Thats how i see it

• no to the nopety nope

• More from Girls
    3