Do you ever plan on getting married?

Society appears to encourage the idea of getting married for a number of reasons. Some people love the idea of finding that one person who they will spend the rest of their lives with. Yet there are still many people who are simply have no interest in getting married.

Where do you stand?

• Yes
  • No
  • Undecided

Most Helpful Girl

• My family and relatives think of marriage and kids like it's a given. My mom has always assumed I'll marry a good man and give her grandchildren. If I told them I don't want either... I can't even imagine. I'll have to think about it carefully in the next few years, and figure out what I want. It would be easier if I was with a man I could see myself marrying, and someone I know will take it as seriously as I will. We'll see, I guess.

What Girls Said 15

• Yeah, actually I'm getting married in 2 months. I think too many people get married for the wrong reasons now which has discouraged marriage, because those people often get divorced quite quickly. It's important to work on maintaining a strong relationship to the best of your ability before calling it quits.

Some other people aren't interested in marriage at which is fine too.

• Wow... Many, many CONGRATULATIONS on your forthcoming marriage.

• @SolitaireBond: It would be awesome if there is a snowfall (no blizzards... lol. Don't want it to be extreme). There will likely be snow on the ground, but I don't want to have high expectations for snowflakes and then be disappointed. There's a chance, but the Weather Network only gives me a 7 day forecast, haha.

• Awww....Well I for one will be keeping everything crossed for you to have your dream come true, and for all your future dreams and happiness as well. :)

• Pretty much undecided and I have no interest in kids so I'm not in a rush for this. So living the traditional, conventional lifestyle of getting married, forming a family and giving up my education for 10+ was never really my most important goal in life. I never wanted that life even when I was 13.

If some future bf finds marriage important, then he would have to agree to a childfree marriage.

• Actually I got married only last month.

• I'm undecided... sometimes i wanna marry, have someone special for me, live in a small cosy house and whatnot... then there are times when i see marriage as a big responsibility, having that one person and committing myself to them... it all at this time of my life seems somewhat like a fantasy :P

• I'm married. Have been for nearly 5 years now.

• @Mgoods Gosh... Am so glad am not the only married one here.
      And many, many congratulations on five years of marriage. :)

• Haha, thank you hun! Congrats on your marriage! xxx

• Yes, Friday July 10th, 2015 at 7:00 PM, looking forward to marrying my best friend.

• I actually like the traditional why? cause it is the best foundation for future kids, but so many guys don't want that anymore, so. I guess for me it is undecided.

• Would you ever get married if the idea of having children was either off the table or questionable?

• I don't think so. I would be happy with just being in a serious relationship with a guy, and live together. :)

• It's funny when people say that... Traditionally in marriage fathers sold off or traded their daughters for land money etc. often before the age of 12 and almost never involved love.

• Yes i want to get married.. With whom and when, thats undecided..

• Mostly no. It'll take someone very special to change my mind.

• Tbf, I believe that's the point.

• @Riverock
      Maybe. But I don't believe in love. Therefore, for me, if that someone ever came into my life, I'd be amazed and wouldn't believe it and destroy the relationship thus remaining single.

• Been there done that. For 11 years. Don't know if I would ever do it again

• Marriage and guys aren't what they used to be, so I'm leaning more toward no.

• Yupp, hopefully in a few years.

• Gonna be getting married soon💕

• Not a top priority of mine. I never saw the point to marriage anyway.

• Undecided, not the priority in my life

What Guys Said 15

• marriage is just complicated these days.. the divorce rate is too high and the number of eager idiots who don't understand the concept of marriage is steadily increasing. I want to get married and even though i understand most of what that involves, I'm still scared shitless lol. Im tired of seeing people marrying for stupid reasons, "he/she was hot"
    "we were in vegas next to the chapel"
    "I don't like my parents"
    "we have been dating for two years"
    most of these end in divorce down the line. some girls think that because they have been cheated on in numerous occasions that marriage will stop that, they don't think that if they cannot even hold a guy down and interested in verbal agreement like dating, how would they do that in a legal documented relationship.

Lol.. sorry, I kind of went off. this is a touchy subject for me because though young, I believe the old school ways were right. When you marry, thats it. Do what it takes to stay married.

• I hear you on all counts. I am about to graduate from College and most of my friends are either planning on getting married soon, engaged or married. I am at a loss as to why so many people are so eager to get married.

At the end of the day people will do what ever they want I suppose.

• @Tdieseler... You Sir, will go far in life with an attitude and outlook like that.

And please, please remember THERE IS some very, VERY LUCKY GIRL out there somewhere waiting patiently for YOU to FIND HER. :)

So, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR... GET GOING. :) :)

• yes ma'am @SolitaireBond

• Unlikely, for various reasons.

One, I'm introverted as all hell. I like coming home from whatever and having my alone time, which is usually the rest of the night. Needless to say, that much alone time doesn't lend itself well to marriage.

Two, I don't want kids. I want to come home and relax, not start taking care of kids and stuff. If I'm not planning to start a family, I see no need to get married in the first place.

Three, the divorce rate is ridiculous. 50% divorce rate, with women filing 70% of them, makes a 35% chance for me to get the marriage pink slip (and that's assuming that I'm perfectly happy myself). Two-in-three is still fairly good odds, but I'm not a gambler.

Four, divorce is a very real, very menacing prospect. Even without kids in the picture, alimony is hellish. Even prenups are often discarded, so I can't even count on that. There's too much at stake and too high a chance to crash and burn to risk my assets like that.

Most importantly, I feel like too many modern girls are too spoiled and too fickle to count on. Yes, that makes me bitter and jaded, but it's based on experience. I don't feel like people are raised today understanding what relationships are about. Love isn't like the movies, where a whirlwind romance full of perpetual chemistry, sexual tension, and fireworks occurs. There is no real-life god of love to make everything work out because "we were meant for one another."

Lasting relationships are about matching values and working together, not sexual chemistry. Too many people get together based on superficial crap, despite having nothing in common. People are taught that if you aren't getting exactly what you want, just divorce and find another rather than working together to find a solution. That mentality sickens me.

• Unlikely to get married. I have no problem committing to a girl and having kids with her (although I'm not big into the "only one girl" thing), but push comes to shove, I'm not a girl's retirement plan--not really anything in marriage for the man that can't be had outside of one. Know a few too many guys whose lives/finances were destroyed from divorce, alimony, etc. to get suckered into that trap.

• I want to get married. I like it for its indirect consequence though, and not for security or whatever. If I get married, that means I have found someone who loves me, who wants to be with me forever, and trusts me to take care of her for eternity.

And I won't take it easily either. I've told myself that I'd need one year of dating before I can call a girl my girlfriend, and 2 - 3 years of being a couple at least, before I'm ready to propose to her. Potentially longer, if I manage to be a relationship with a girl earlier, and therefore have the luxury of time. :)

• Legally married? Nope. I plan to become at least somewhat successful--and girls are flaky. It's plenty bad enough when a girl has a mood swing and breaks up with you.

A girl breaking up with you and taking half your stuff with her? That, I would not brook with.

besides, you can live with a girl/sleep with her/even have kids if you want, without getting married. Marriage has simply become an adhesion contract for the more successful person!

• NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!

I'd rather to sit on the electric chair than getting married!!!

• Marriage is outdated. Not doing it.

• I'm undecided but I'm strongly leaning towards no.

• Perhaps someday like in my 30s or something lol

• Yes, just. Not until I'm a lot older, like in my mid-20's.

• Eventually. But I'd reckon the girl would have to be desperate with my atrocious luck. But perhaps I'm selling myself short here. Right now I feel like I'm married to the job.

• I'm 21 and I'd love to get married but I haven't found the right girl or any girl yet, if I had my way I'd toss a ring to any random eligible girl and get married right now lol

• I'm good with my life now, having sex with the same person over and over and losing half your shit when it's done just doesn't sound appealing

• No, its not worth it in todays society , although I really would like to lose my virginity.

• Never going to happen.